Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
I can't see the point of browsing normal websites in the MicroB browser on something other than 3G... kind of the reason I got the phone in the first place.

So OmWeather became a power hog on Maemo 5? It doesn't do much on my N800 though I have it set to check weather every hour with the current weather set to be valid for 2 hours.

All these widgets really need a "don't update between 24:00-08:00"-setting.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
Actually having the cellular radio on doesn't drain that much power. The big power drain when data is actually being transmitted: during a phone call or actual data transfer on a data connection. When the cellular radio is in standby mode, it power drain is quite modest. You can tell that from the battery life specs of cell phone. They have two measurements: standby and talk time. And notice the huge different between them.
Sure. But the same is true for Nokia WiFi going back to previous Nokia tablets. Nonethe less, there is some drain, which might make a difference on a multi day wilderness trip, or similar situation. There is no justification for treating wifi and cellular differently in *general* power saving tips.

The reason I said cellualr is a bigger power hog is that wifi transmit power is 100 milliwatts or 10mw and cellular transmit power is over a watt. So minute for minute of "talk" time, cellular uses far more power than wifi.

My main reason for keeping celluar off is that I only use it for outgoing calls. It is amazing how often when I briefly turn it on, a car warany or other scam call comes in or a junk text message.

I am also not looking forward to when it is common for a advertisement to come in just because I'm close to some store.

Great article - much needed. i really appreciate your insight

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
the cellular radio is a far larger power hog than wifi.
not true sorry - the cellular radio will (depending on your velocity, cell locality, etc) consume on average maybe 10mA (4mA average on my phone (over a 72hour sampling period -15sec granularity)) - wifi is far more - even when its in standby.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fusi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
The reason I said cellualr is a bigger power hog is that wifi transmit power is 100 milliwatts or 10mw and cellular transmit power is over a watt. So minute for minute of "talk" time, cellular uses far more power than wifi.
If it is power log, it must be a bug cos check out the E55, 4 week standby time at 9.9mm thin!

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/...-e55-unveiled/

I am disappointed with the battery performance so far. After a full charge and using it for 2 phone calls, 30 minutes of browsing,5 camera snaps,15 texts the battery has gone to 10% in 6 hours. Cellular radio ON, 3G ON, WiFi ON, GPS OFF,
BTW my SIM is 3 years old so maybe that is it
Maybe I just want the N900 experience to go on and on and on

Last edited by bornsavage; 2009-12-04 at 21:08. Reason: Text added

Originally Posted by fusi View Post
the cellular radio will (depending on your velocity, cell locality, etc) consume on average maybe 10mA (4mA average on my phone (over a 72hour sampling period -15sec granularity)) - wifi is far more - even when its in standby.
How are you measuring current?

just went and got a new sim. we will see if there is a noticable difference.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
So OmWeather became a power hog on Maemo 5? It doesn't do much on my N800 though I have it set to check weather every hour with the current weather set to be valid for 2 hours.
i dont think om is that bad, i update mine manually...

Tags
battery, battery life, extend, fremantle, guide, ideas, improve, maemo, maemo 5, n900, power, runtime