Notices

Originally Posted by handful View Post
Abou the Last.fm issue :
Does your password have NUMBERS or Signals on it? if so :

a, there's a bug on the input framework (outside of canola) that it seems to only work on GTK applications( work correctly). Inside Canola (non-gtk) application, the FN keys (the one you hold to type numbers, or that you touch twice to keep typing numbers / blue color symbols, doesn't work.. thus if you try entering numbers on your password it will probably fail.

b. Solution : use the onscreen keyboard or make sure you are entering numbers for sure with the FN key pressed the right way.

BR
To slightly rephrase, the problem is that while with GTK applications, pressing the FN key would lock it in FN mode until the next key is pressed, in non-GTK application the locking does not happen, so you have to keep the FN key depressed (just like you would on a normal laptop keyboard)

@TTgowings

Thank you! That did the trick. And also led to an interesting discovery. In the keyboard options menu there are 2 checkboxes: 1 to launch fingerboard with fingerpress, and 1 to launch it with middle dpad button. I decided some time ago to only check the dpad option. When selecting a canola text field, as with any other app, I get the small keyboard with which I can type, but in canola the pasting didn't work.

For some reason the dpad button doesn't = fingerboard in canola like it will everywhere else... but when I went into the keyboard settings and checked the first box, then now when I click on a canola text area I immediately get large keyboardd with working paste feature. Yay!!

I remember now the early days of canola when pasting worked for me... it was with fullscreen keybboard then too.

Anyway, thanks

N800, OS2007, mplayer 26

1. Had problems with start. It hang indefinitely. Started after removing ~/.canola ~/.atabake (also start takes much longer than with beta7
2. mplayer26 - youtube videos still stretched, I understood from other comments it should be fixed?
3. compilation albums... argh, didn't agree with some decisions of previous version(s) - you lost performer data - but it worked! Now it doesn't recognised two albums which previously worked perfectly
4. Not Canola (don't know exact relationship) but cover downloader failed miserably comparing to beta7. Only half of covers were downloaded. I know this is separate project but I suspect this is somewhat related to 3. and feeding of metadata.
5. Less responsiveness of interface. In beta7 I could drag volume slider without problems now there is considerable lag. Note: when I just click in some point it works immediately, just dragging with finger is much slower
6. Animations are less fluent comparing with beta7 (eg. covers, settings tabs).
7. In Album covers list is bug: if album doesn't have performer tag, artists name stays from previous album. This way I have Reise, Reise by Katie Melua (of Piece by Piece)
8. Youtube plugin: when I open settings tab (eg to save video) while still playing; audio and video stops but after closing tab it just rewinds 10-20 sec forward as it was playing non-stop.

Beta 8 seems to be uncompatible with Python-launcher :

If Canola doesn't start after upgrade, this may be one possible cause...

EDIT : on one tablet (N800), removing python-launcher was enough to get beta8 up and running.
On another (N810) beta8 still fails with the same message adammelancon reported :
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/canola/plugins/plugins.pickle'

(both use OS2008 and ran beta7 just fine).

Last edited by fpp; 2008-04-05 at 13:31.

And during next start up Canola also hanged completely. Something bad with reading of config files?

But third start (without removal of config files) was successful.

Problem with detection of network vanished. Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
I had Python-launcher installed, but removed it when i installed b8 and rebooted several times. I still can't launch canola b8 on my N800/os2008.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Installed beta8 this morning prior to travel between Liverpool/Madrid.
(Time to test on plane, after quick test with internet connection)

Everything fine for me with update from beta 7 to beta 8 on N810 with latest version of OS2008, mplayer v26 etc.

Last fm works very very well ;-)

The sensible change in beta7 original location for saved YouTube videos means that previously saved videos are now NOT readily accessible (Those held on core internal memory) which is a little frustrating. Canola still knows about previous downloads (Thumbnails available) of saved items but now cannot access "giving invalid URL message" etc.

I am not worried about this issue but it does appear that perhaps users will need to clean up after Canola beta7 manually?

Overall Canola2 is rock solid, I spent ages switching options, going between music photos and videos and not once did Canola hiccup :-)

The YouTube video playback is still suspect with many videos having the video/audio sync issue. (Hope Canola/mplayer team continue to work together and manage to resolve this issue soon)

Like the way titles of songs will re-scroll when text is selected during playback. The Favorite Played tracks, I had not noticed before but they are only added to this list, if Five stars are selected. (Four stars or lower they do not show in list)

Great work Canola team, I am actually pleased you have delayed the UPnP release, as I can tell that you don't release anything for Canola2 unless its up to your high standards and you guys are really happy with it!

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by adammelancon View Post
I had Python-launcher installed, but removed it when i installed b8 and rebooted several times. I still can't launch canola b8 on my N800/os2008.
Same problem here. N810.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Vvaz :

1. Had problems with start. It hang indefinitely. Started after removing ~/.canola ~/.atabake (also start takes much longer than with beta7
- You had probably some problems with some files, that canola was trying to recover. With the full plugin support now it seems that some python applications are conflicting with canola ; / We will investigate this. There should be no added time to startup what so ever if things goes right.

2. mplayer26 - youtube videos still stretched, I understood from other comments it should be fixed?

- It doesn depend more on us. We did the patch, but the MPLAYER project must release a new version with this patch applied, .26 is not that version.

3. compilation albums... argh, didn't agree with some decisions of previous version(s) - you lost performer data - but it worked! Now it doesn't recognised two albums which previously worked perfectly

- Again the same way to solve: can you send 3 or 4 files of each album? so we can study also this case?

4. Not Canola (don't know exact relationship) but cover downloader failed miserably comparing to beta7. Only half of covers were downloaded. I know this is separate project but I suspect this is somewhat related to 3. and feeding of metadata.

- Well, the scanning / metadata didn change much (almost nothing). What must have happen was a failure in Amazon - last.fm service. CAn you try again in another connection and tell me if the problem persists? If the music is tagged (Showing in the menu correctly) the cover download just pics that and make the query

5. Less responsiveness of interface. In beta7 I could drag volume slider without problems now there is considerable lag. Note: when I just click in some point it works immediately, just dragging with finger is much slower

- Volume was like that. There a slightly delay : yes, since beta1. (actually was worse in beta1), we were looking into ways of improving this, but as it deals with some independent (system) components volumes the delay is giving us the creeps now :/ We still after this.

6. Animations are less fluent comparing with beta7 (eg. covers, settings tabs).

- I really don know, but probably you have a. something wrong on the system, consuming cpu and then canola is slower, or 2 you are comparing a flat theme with a regular theme. I'm directly responsible for the interaction design, and I can assure you if things slow down a little bit, I shout really loud

7. In Album covers list is bug: if album doesn't have performer tag, artists name stays from previous album. This way I have Reise, Reise by Katie Melua (of Piece by Piece)

- nice, thanks for the bug report.

8. Youtube plugin: when I open settings tab (eg to save video) while still playing; audio and video stops but after closing tab it just rewinds 10-20 sec forward as it was playing non-stop.

- Mplayer x FLV file format seeking problems. There are also smaller issues, that SUCK, but they are really more complicated (format x codec) things that canola doesn go into. Like I said before, if we wanted to solve this : We would have to make our own player, proprietary, buy codecs, and charge people more than 20 dollars just to pay codec licensing, and still we would not be able to play formats people demand :/ complicated hun?
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Hi,

first, about the video :
dpkg -l | grep atabake : 0.1.4
dpkg -l | grep mplayer : 26 (not 36 as you said works flawlesly)

video runs fullscreen, instead of 3:4 ratio; I presume it stretched...

found the "hidden" buttons on the flatblack theme for last.fm ... change the color to gray/white instead of black/white?

@ vvaz:
no - 36 should be fixed; I also have streched & laggy video on my n800, MPlayer 26 (OS2008)
[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
on my device, the video response of the drag takes 1/2 second extra, yet the volume changes immediately. Would not consider this as a real problem.

have nothing like this. all the artist's names are OK. However, if an album has SOME artist tags and other files have the same album name, but NO artist tracks, then all the tracks with an artist are considered as an album, and the rest, each as a separate album (with the same name).
I'll post the link to this album once I upload it.

however, the last.fm was a great improvement to canola - now I can have one less media player installed

Also, Chrisak reported the same problem as me for Last.fm:
The last.fm thing is something odd.... i'm trying to sort iit out now reading past threads. Its all related to timezone. If I set clock/homee city to chicago then lastfm works. But then i'm hours off. if i change back to correct time, lastfm won't login
This problem will occur to all those who did not change the timezone after recieving the device and do not live at GMT 0.

I just realized how much work you must have right now fixing all this. I'll try to slow down my problem discoveries...

Ilia

P.S. where could I get MPlayer36?