Notices

My calendar data just disappeared - and it won't save new events. It seems to work, menus pull down, etc. I have an N800 running Chinnok.

I was inputting new contacts into gpe contacts using a Dell USB Keyboard (I had the N800 in host mode using USBControl)

I found that the birthday field in contacts isn't supported by the keyboard. I suspect that clicking on the calendar icon in contacts may be part of the culprit, but I'm grasping. Anyway, afterwards, my calendar data was simply gone. gpe calendar stopped is not working - it seems to work but my data is all missing and new events do not appear when saved. I don't know if the data is truly erased or if it just won't display. Seems possible that new events are being saved but not shown if that's the nature of the problem.

I backed up the calendar data using xterm; uninstalled; and reinstalled gpe calendar but no joy.

I haven't found any similar issues searching the forums and bugzilla.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Mark

Not a clue, however, FYI, I use GPE and google calendar which for the most part works. Plus, I never lose any appointments on google so when I re-move/re-install GPE (hey try anything to get it to work kind of deal) I get back to a usable two-way calendar. Lately, Erminig never completes, just hang at the end, however, everything is in sync so I have left it alone.

Sometime when I sync either things are off, EVERYTHING is (also like yours) gone, just a very small amount of appointments are off, then after I reboot and/or come back to GPE and/or re-sync, everything "is right with the world" again. Both on (N810) RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.51-3 and/or RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14....

I hadn't been using google and ermining before but will be now. If the data is still in there somewhere - maybe erminig will dig it up and feed it to google. Thanks

Update - I checkout the .ics file that I exported AFTER the problem appeared with notepad - it sure looks like the data is still there even though I can't see it. I'll try to export that data to google calendars and see if that works. Still don't know how to get gpe calendar working again. I do need to have an offline calendar.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Right now there is not a R/W calendar system on Maemo I would trust.

You were playing with birthdays's when this happened?

I saw some strange behavior with gcalcli when I tried to view my birthday calendar. Turns out that there are some weird interactions between python, unicode, extended ascii, and the quotes that some applications put in for "soandso's Brithday". Specifically the curly single quote as opposed to the basic '.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Here, let me save some of the fanbois some time:

It's not a PDA, stupid!
You're not supposed to run [insert_arbitrary_software_category] on it!
It's your own fault; everyone knows Nokia is God!
It only runs Internet; and then only the Internet we decide it should run!

I think I got most of it.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Here, let me save some of the fanbois some time:

It's not a PDA, stupid!
You're not supposed to run [insert_arbitrary_software_category] on it!
It's your own fault; everyone knows Nokia is God!
It only runs Internet; and then only the Internet we decide it should run!

I think I got most of it.

I'm running Android you insensitive clod!

This is probably not the problem, but just in case, are you sure that a Calendar is selected? It is possible to have no calendar selected, and so you will not be able to view any appointments, it will also go through the motions of letting you save appointments, but of course it saves it nowhere (it should really tell you at this point there is no calendar selected, but it doesn't, I'm going to file a bug on this, as I just did it).

Also when you uninstall, I don't believe it deletes the .gpe files in your home directory where files and setting are stored, so the state of having no calendar selected would still exist.

Pataphysician... you ARE da man. That was it exactly. I had to poke around in the menus to see how to select the calendar but that brought back the whole calendar. It was a little messed up. Seems that the random stylus pokes I had made to try to save new events was being saved even though the calendar wasn't selected. The selection thing is for display / data retrieval but data entry saves into the default calendar anyway?? strange.

Oh, and Karel.. I know its not a PDA, my PDA had a MUCH better soduko game. The IT is for minesweeper.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by here.david View Post
Lately, Erminig never completes, just hang at the end, however, everything is in sync so I have left it alone.
here.david:

Would you mind running Erminig from the terminal (just type "erminig" on a xterm), and post back the output you get after it gets stuck?

I'm suspecting a problem with recurrent events ending at some very distant dates, breaking havoc in Erminig, but I need the output to be sure. Someone already reported it and has been filed as #2634

If the problem is something else, I'll gladly investigate more in details, and open a new bug for it!