Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I've never heard anyone use push notification as a positive feature. I highly doubt you gain any significant battery life through push notification.
It is definitely a positive feature, and definitely saves power. It takes much less power to listen for a cell phone tower shouting "Hey, I've got something for you" than it does to ask the tower "Any email/SMS/IM updates for me" every five minutes. This will be at least 5 to 1, and probably much more.

Also note two things: N * number of active connections, and that you've just "deafened" all the other phones listening next to you. The latter is mostly a non-issue if you're all on the same tower, but if you're in a multi-network area like a biggish town or worse yet on a train rolling through a major city.

How do you think SMS messages are delivered?

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
2. 800 × 480 pixel resolution @ 225 ppi Vs 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi
A minor correction for future searchers:

Although its three predecessors' 800x480 screen yielded 225 pixels per inch resolution, the smaller display of the Nokia N900 means its resolution is closer to 267 ppi.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Nice quote from Jussi Makinen

"3gs if you like sugar water. N900 if you like fresh spring water "

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I love Coke

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I love Coke
Thats carbonated sugar water.

I like rakija. What should I buy? Oh yeah, rakija...

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
But i think that is a wonderful comparision. The iphone is for the masses.. it is made so that people will like it and there is no changing sweet water... wheras the n900 can be used to make any sort of liquid you want!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yes, bias will prevail It will let you see the world in the colors you want it to be..

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yes, bias will prevail It will let you see the world in the colors you want it to be..
<offtopic>
This implies that we have a choice in the way we perceive the world, which is simply not true. We can only perceive the world in a way consistent with our current level of development regardless of what we 'choose'.

It's important to exercise patience with those earlier in devleopment or with different perspectives. I've found that snobbery (even subtle snobbery) is disempowering and hinders rather than helps the development of others.
</offtopic>

YARR!
}:^)~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Not for over a year for the N810. Downloadable maps are only as good as how up-to-date they are. And from what I've seen, downloadable maps tend to not be as up to date as a Google Maps iteration time and time again.
I agree -- maps need to be up to date. They also need to be complete. Openstreetmap is including more and more types of data, footpaths, bike lines, and pubs amongst them. Check out the following three links:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.127373&z=13

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51...layers=B000FTF

http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13...24&layers=B000 (OpenCycleMap builds on OpenStreetmap)

All three of these can be cached for offline use in MaemoMapper, and then you know (for example) which turn to take when you're biking in a place you've never been before.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
OK, christexaport and gerbick, it's time to take it outside.
I'm to cool for outdoors. And I'm not scared of gerbick.

Just kidding. Gerbick is cool. Just a little misunderstanding. We all have opinions. I'll focus on the n900 instead. That's my real love of the moment.

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war