Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Before a product is actually out, identifying a specific release date is something a company simply can't do. It's too easy for something unexpected to go wrong and throw all the plans off schedule.

Nonetheless, on Saturday Jussi Mäkinen told a group of 10-15 people at a briefing on the N900 that the new device will be launched at the Maemo summit.

I checked this with him, in case he had mentioned the date but didn't want the headaches that come with making optimistic statements publicly. He didn't flinch at my question and did confirm the date (with the standard proviso that even their best intentions couldn't guarantee that nothing would go wrong between now and then).

Other channels support his firmness. I'd look for devices to start cropping up in all kinds of interesting places about two weeks before the summit (and a little less than two weeks from today). If they do, then that should be a sign that early October is a real likelihood.

RogerS

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post: