Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I'll chime in here too with thanks for a great summit. Meeting everyone, from last year and new folks, was great. Thanks for the sponsorship!

To the "old school" talkie comments, I have to say I rather enjoyed the talks. My theory about talks at summits/conferences is that no one actually remembers what was said, they come with ideas and ways to figure new things out. The success of the summit comes from opening up people's heads and pouring new stuff in, letting it slosh around a bit, so that back at home it might fertilize new ideas. Of course, I guess you could think of the beer as doing that too.

But I also like Jaffa's ideas about the hack pavilion and the brainstorming. Perhaps more time for BOFs might be good here: realtime groups to discuss interesting ideas.

Anyway, thanks to the council and the Nokia folks. It was a great time.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I absolutely had the greatest time and THANK YOU to everyone who made it so!

Off the top of my head the one thing I would request is that we add a 10-minute speech format to the 5 and 20 minute ones. There was just no way to get mine down to a 5-minute lightning talk (despite paring away as much as I could right up to the delivery time) and I also attended one or two 20 minute talks that could have been done in half the time.

There are other minor nitpicks and ideas but they could never take away from the overall experience. This was a most memorable time for me and everyone was great!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks for all these ideas. Keep them coming!

Lardman, there was (and is) an online participants list (without pic/avatar, true) and also abstracts linked from the schedule. Or do you mean something better / else?

I would also request we consider themed tracks as well, and agree with previous comments that maybe adding more would not hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Thanks for all these ideas. Keep them coming!

Lardman, there was (and is) an online participants list (without pic/avatar, true) and also abstracts linked from the schedule. Or do you mean something better / else?
Yes, better:

An application/website privately hosted (only accessible from the Summit network) that allows to search for people, view their picture and message of the day ("I'll be having lunch under the big oak tree"), and better than all, a "Show on map" link, that allows you to view their current location inside the complex.

This could be relatively easily achieved on a few levels, GPS if active, or more universal: by mapping the location of wifi routers and matching the one they are currently connected to.

Also, a big advantage would be to have an intra-Summit communication system, either text or voice, or both. The big issue this year was everyone had to track a load of people, and it was a bit of a hit-n-miss game to know who had a working phone number, what their skype/gtalk account was, etc. That or just put the gtalk username on the profile with an "IM me" link.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Sebastien, you are right on target. I am proposing @ a minimum that we 1) define a summit IM tool (I suggest Gizmo) and 2) have participants enter their appropriate id into the wiki page.

posting from my N810 because the N900 has attitude this morning... will bug

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
I would like to thank everybody involved in the organization of the summit, it was a memorable event, definitely surpassed my expectations . Great talks, great venue and a great community made this year summit a big success. A special thanks for the organizers from Nokia, for taking care of every single detail, making the summit a prefect event .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Personally, my favorite conferences schedule 20 minutes after every other session, in order to allow for more attendee-to-attendee discussion (specifically Balisage and TOC). These conversations tend to be more subject-oriented than the social conversations in the evening, or at least more oriented towards the specific subjects just seen and where they might be headed.

I also wonder if perhaps the people who give the lightning talks should also submit a video of their talk a day or two beforehand; and these could be posted immediately after the lightning talk is given. These have intense interest and this way you're always sure you didn't miss something spectacular.

RogerS

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
First of all, it was a great experience, thanks to all the folks who made the Summit possible and of course to all you folks who were there. It was an honor to meet some old and new Maemo folks from all over the world. Organization was really good and the N900 surprise was certainly something to remember for a long time to come.

As for notes...

a) it would have been cool to 'check' presentations we'd like to attend (and see the number and names of folks checked in for a particular session). Would ease planning, coordination between people, and, perhaps most importantly, would allow for dynamic room allocation (the N800 and 770 rooms were full far too often).

b) to ease understanding/session choices and make things more interactive, (optional) pre-publishing of slides/material would also be useful, there were talks that lacked even abstracts this year.

c) Questions overlaping sessions ? Some topics had more questions than other. It's a shame to cut down down a presentation to 20 minutes and then do nothing in the remaining time, or the other way round to hush people on interesting topics because of the next presentation. Not sure how to solve this one, though...

d) allow for pre-session questions. People could post questions pertaining the topic *before* the session, so a lot of things can be answered by the presenter on the go and also to gauge interests within a topic

e) hacking space - yes, the community room could be used for this at times, but we need power and a place with longer opening times !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Did I write "aftermath" or someone edited the subject? I wanted to write "aftermatch" and this is the term typed in the email sent to all participants. If you don't know what an aftermatch is then you need to watch more sports on TV.

Tags
presentations, summit