Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I have three N900's now, due to Dell taking a little too much customer initiative. I did not ask for a third one to be delivered.

N900 #1: Low 2G signal that seemed to conflict with other reports on this forum. Zero random resets. Stable.

N900 #2: Dell sent me this one last week. Same weak reception in low 2G signal areas, but this one also randomly resets. Unstable.

N900 #3: Got this one today. Same results as #1.

All three have one thing in common: Weak 2G reception in low signal areas and slow reacquisition of connection when lost.

I envy those that are having the opposite performance of signal, but I am keeping one of the stable ones. Great device- barring the signal issue I am having.

Update:

I compared the N900's to five devices: G1, Dash, N3610, N-gage and T349.

The N900 performed slightly better than the T349, but was weaker with 2G than the other four devices.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-31 at 01:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
install liqflow

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Oh man ... I was hoping one of these would be an improvement on the signal ... How are you getting dell to send you so many replacements? I'm almost tempted to get a replacement but you keep getting ones with low signal problems

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I could drive to Kentucky in a few hours... hmmm

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I could drive to Kentucky in a few hours... hmmm
You want no part of the second one Very unstable and that is with no apps installed other than what came with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
Oh man ... I was hoping one of these would be an improvement on the signal ... How are you getting dell to send you so many replacements? I'm almost tempted to get a replacement but you keep getting ones with low signal problems
I reported the first one as defective due to me having weak signal reception and many here saying the opposite. The replacement is an unstable mess- it reboots randomly a LOT. I called and told Dell I would just keep the first one, but they STILL shipped me a third one.

Signal issue is definitely common to the three I have right now.

BTW, no mic problems on any of the three.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-31 at 01:25.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
What's sad is I could see myself carrying and using 2 n900's regularly. (Did this for a bit with our pre-pro loaner and my own n900)

3's definitely overkill though :P

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
You want no part of the second one Very unstable and that is with no apps installed other than what came with it.
haha. the tinkerer in me felt challenged... be careful with that!

anyway, sorry that you had some time with your N900's. I guess I'm still a bit giddy after playing with one today. Too bad I can't make up my mind fully yet to buy one or not.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Are you sending the other two back to D3LL?

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Are you sending the other two back to D3LL?
Yes. No need for three

Keeping the newest one, since it could be my imagination (and probably is), but the wifi connection seems to be quicker and more stable with the new one. I bet it is my imagination.

Wish the 2G radio was better. Back to my G1 as my main phone and my N900 will be my netbook, Flash game player and media device.

Great device all the same

Tags
lack of quality control