Active Topics

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Have a N800 but not used anymore due to the screen constant rolling. So I got a N810 WiMAX, nice replacement. I use it for:

Internet Radio (while on the road I can keep up with home news) with the stereo speakers it allows me to listen while not having to carry it around with a headset while in my hotel room.

Log in to my vpn dd-wrt router (while on the road/hotels/airports) with openvpn where I can securely stream my music (flac) from Ampache, surf the net and make voip calls.

DialCentral... what can I say about it, a Swiss Knife of communication tool.

Boingo Mobile unlimited for $8.00 a month world wide makes caring my N810 on the road a no brainier, and Clearwire 4g is icing on the cake!

Hope Nokia comes out with a tablet the same screen size or larger (N900 is screen too small).

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Like N8than (the name for my N810) for navigation on the highways with MaemoMapper...when I have internet access to get the maps needed for the area I am in - which is rare.
It holds all my passwords for all my account with Passwiord Safe.
Using MyTube to view videos on YouTube of Yamaha PSR-E413 electronic keyboards (my latest investment) and Christian videos.
Aisleriot Solitaire for a quiet card game. Barrage when I want something noisy and want to blow something up.
Firefox browser for surfing the web. Pidgin Internet Messenger to access all my IM accounts with one program. And of course, use Skype and also to keep tabs on my Google Voice.
Chiaowl is my better half and when her battery goes dead out on the road, I let her use my battery to keep doing what she does...more than I do...while her battery charges in my unit....only so much I can do while driving. Thought about selling it. Thought about just giving it away. Glad I didn't do either Chiaowl may have to send hers in for repair...N8than can keep her company while the repairs are being done. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to N8than For This Useful Post:
Does no one else (aside from Kroll) use it for office software? It think running OpenOffice at very good speeds is one of the killer features of the N810. It's saved me a bunch of time when I was on the road and needed type out a word doc or edit a spreadsheet.

BTW, nice thread tags.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Same as Hordeman :
Open Office works fine, thanks to Qole's amazing work !
I find it very usefull.

I really love using FBReader too ... because the device is really pocketable at have a very good screen for indoor AND outdor use.
I find reading on the n810 better than on real paper !

Music listening at work, without headphones is very good too, thanks to the built-in speakers and the very good player : Canola.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
hordeman and totololo
Do you use the Easy Debian or Easy Ubuntu or turboDebian? Or there is a maemo-version OpenOffice?

Kroll, I use Qole's Easy Debian. It is fantastic!

BTW, you guys should check out this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=526278

Last edited by hordeman; 2010-02-14 at 19:25.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
hordeman
Thanks for the link!

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Why wouldn't I keep it? Really, it still works great, still runs the apps it ran before, more actually... It's awesome.
  • It wakes me up in the morning (FlipClock)
  • It flashes if I have mail (built-in mail client IMAPed to Gmail).
  • It lets me browse the web (built-in browser) sans adverts (lmhosts file) for news and my morning Dilbert (just prepping for work).
  • It's my journal, reminder system, todo list, and quicky note taker (quick-clip with some custom Perl scripts).
  • It tells me if I should carry my umbrella (omweather).
  • It's my speedometer if I drive the van (speedometer via GPS), because the one in the van is broke and I'm too lazy to fix it.
  • It's my ODBCII interface if I drive the car (carman), because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to fix it.
  • It's my lunchtime entertainment (panucci) with downloads from OTR, or (mplayer) videos.
  • It's my calendar (mCalendar - synced to Google).
  • It's my GPS when travelling (maemo-mapper, though I keep map as a backup for when I'm out of a cached area).
  • It's my Japanese language flashcard prompter (FullRecall - though I might switch to something new).
  • It lets me doodle out project designs (Xournal).
  • It's my book reader (FBreader) - and it seems that reading in portrait with red letters on black is easier on the eyes than a regular book.
  • It keeps my secret stuff (notecase).
  • It lets me try out programming ideas in Perl (geany with a custom keyboard map to get the Perlisms).
  • It lets me add up numbers on occasion (built-in calculator).
  • It lets me show off my travel pictures when visiting (media player - which I find better for slide-shows than canola).
  • It lets me keep up with the podcasts (canola).
  • It lets me search the web (often with a custom search plugin to skweezer).
  • It lets me search my Google notebook (another custom search plugin).
  • It lets me check my cellphone answering service (gizmo, because skype wouldn't do the touch-tone calling tree), because I'm too cheap to use my pay-as-you-go cellphone.
  • It lets me SSH into my home Linux computer and fix things when I've mucked the X11 settings (ssh from the terminal).
  • It lets me remote-desktop into my work server and fix things without having to get to a desktop system (pyrdesktop through vpnc).
  • And, of course, there's Numpty Physics... just because.

And, geewizz buddy, why would I need 100,000 more apps? I'll keep my N810 until the battery dies... oh wait, I have spares. Okay, I'll keep it until my kid laughs at me when I pull it out (and he's not born yet).

David...

Last edited by fixerdave; 2010-02-17 at 04:25.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
I love my N800 and use it daily as well. I am a device geek and search at least weekly for the latest and greatest. Until I can find a device in the N800 form factor with a 2GB processor and 2GB of RAM, it's still the best thing going. I've got Open Office (thanks Qole!) a bluetooth keyboard paired, just paired a mouse (thanks Jolouis!), and all the other radio and mplayer functions that others have mentioned. Maemo mapper is fantastic, and thanks to the community I can update my repository links anytime Google might change them. Love OM Weather too. I've moved my boot to an SDHC card, and now have no problems with memory or storage. The only negatives are not on the N800 side - I can no longer bluetooth my blackberry for a cellular network connection (thanks Sprint - and if anyone knows a way around that please let me know), and I ran into a .pdf DRM issue with some materials I needed for a class (no Linux support at all). The N900 is already obsolete, and for me offered nothing except 200mhz more processing power - which doesn't get you much. I welcome any enhancements that allow me to make the most out of the 400mhz that I do have. I'll use my N800 as a near laptop replacement until I can get an N800 with more power!

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Okay, geez. I use my N810 almost constantly. It is very very rarely out of reach. I use FuelPad to track my gas mileage, read many books using FBReader, games including Angband and Xword, use leafpad and xournal for notes. Sequetary for a calendar/scheduler, audio and video through MediaBox. The device never leaves my side...

--vr

Tags
makes love to n810, squirt squirt