Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
After some days dealing with this issue, lots of headaches, tricks, patches and the like, I have came to a dead end.

MPV compiles with success. But when it's time to open a video file, there's nothing. I have joined MPV official IRC channel and this is what they have told me:

Code:
mced
> Hi all, I'm trying to compile MPV for Wayland with no success. Stay here or join 
#mpv-player-dev?

l
> you can stay here

l
> also, obligatory worksforme™

mced
> ok, config.log says "Checking for Wayland... result is yes". But, at the ending, it says "Enabled optional drivers... video output: (blank)". Compling is successful, but "mpv -vo help" says nothing about Wayland.

w
> mced: do you have opengl headers?

mced
> I haven't checked that

mced
> I will see

l
> mced: moreover, you’re not using the waf build system, right?

l
> maybe the old one is broken

mced
> you're right, but I'm compiling version 0.1.7

l
> what. why.

w
> wow prehistoric

mced
> newer versions require Wayland not available on my platform

l
> fix your platform

w
> not sure why you want wayland

w
> and even less sure why an ancient version of wayland would be fine

l
> yeah, this

mced
> ok, it's a small phone called Jolla, which OS (Sailfish) uses only Wayland

l
> I see, but are they really using ancient wayland?

l
> that’s sad and surprising

mced
> let me check

y
> oh, you want to port mpv to jolla?

mced
> Installed    wayland-devel-1.1.0+git2-1.2.1.armv7hl

l
> y: not like much porting has to be done

y
> hehe

l
> sailfish is basically Mer with a custom UI

l
> or something

mced
> yep

y
> I know

l
> and Mer takes a bunch of things from opensuse

k
> how about hwacc?

y
> been following it almost since jolla became public

l
> k: difficult, thanks to SoC vendors being *******s

l
> qualcomm in this case, right?

w
> I doubt mpv would work on it anyway

mced
> yep, Qualcomm

w
> mpv doesn't support GLES for one

l
> w: *modern* mobile GPUs actually support regular opengl

w
> but apparently we (libass) can't get a new release done

l
> the problem is that the majority of devices still ship with 9 years old crap

w
> l: really?

l
> (hello powervr sgx530)

l
> w: well they kind of have to support something else for windows mobile stuff too :P

mced
> heh heh... I don't understand many of that, but thanks anyway

mced
> so it seems it won't work

l
> I’ll play around with it when I get my jolla device

l
> I still have that voucher for preordering, but I didn’t actually buy it yet

l
> bit of a financial problem right now, life sucks :V

y
> :(

mced
> that would be great, l. Blog, forum, any way of checking you?

l
> nope, I’m a web 1.0 person

mced
> hah hah

l
> mced: but to be honest, without hwaccel I don’t see mpv working well on that device

mced
> by hwaccel do you mean hardware decoding?

l
> and hwaccel probably requires openmax support, and will be quirky at best even when it works

l
> because qualcomm’s drivers are outright terrible

w
> yeah

mced
> it's a shame, because compiling MPV was being a lot of fun

mced
> lot of trouble

w
> well, if I ever get a not-dumbphone, I'll probably try to make mpv work on it no matter the costs

y
> nobody prevents you from trying mced

l
> Like LIMA, Freedreno is an open source driver for Adreno devices, in a mature enough state to run large applications like XBMC on top of an open source stack. Once again, Rob Clark from Freedreno did not get any help from Qualcomm: to provide a better driver for everyone, he had to reverse engineer the blob provided by Qualcomm and write his own shader compiler backend on top of the Mesa infrastructure. One person, working mostly alone, produced better quality drivers than a whole team working at Qualcomm. And because nobody seems to care about these issues, his work is not used by any major phone manufacturer or in any Android version that we know of.

l
> quote taken from https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/

mced
> so, the key words are "hwaccel", "openmax" and "freedreno"

l
> I guess

l
> well, assuming the jolla thing is adreno-based (I have no clue)

w
> l: that's terrible

w
> more terrible than to hear about war in syria etc.

mced
> yep, Adreno 305

mced
> Qualcomm Snapdragon 400

l
> well, good luck with that then :D

mced
> thank you very much to all

l
> I still think jolla and sailfish are better than the android/ios crap though

y
> wasn't there some interest in using freedreno drivers with sailfish? at least among the community

l
> the state of mobile graphics is horrible no matter where you go
... and then the conversation turned to Google Java Dalvik, systemd and closed SoCs.

What do you think? Keep trying to run "Mplayer" (actually MPV) is useless on Sailfish? Because I'm tired of things like unsupported XviD.

Repeating the steps I've followed:

1. Download MPV 0.1.7 source code, do ./configure --disable-x11 --disable-sdl --enable-wayland --disable-libass. It seems to detect Wayland...

Code:
============ Checking for Wayland ============

pkg-config --cflags wayland-client >= 1.0.0 wayland-egl >= 9.0.0 wayland-cursor >= 1.0.0 xkbcommon >= 0.3.0

pkg-config --libs wayland-client >= 1.0.0 wayland-egl >= 9.0.0 wayland-cursor >= 1.0.0 xkbcommon >= 0.3.0

cflags:
libs: -lwayland-egl -lwayland-client -lwayland-cursor -lxkbcommon

Result is: yes
... but there's no Wayland in the summary:

Code:
Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: pvr tv-v4l2 tv vcd dvb 
    Codecs: libavcodecs 
    Audio output: pulse oss 
    Video output:
After "make", checking video output:

Code:
./mpv -vo help
Available video outputs:
  null           : Null video output
  image          : Write video frames to image files
No Wayland and no output

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
well, already the summary tells no video out, it seems only some digital tv and dvd codecs got compiled.
So, You will need to figure out how to adress the correct video framework available on Jolla and if you are missing some optional codecs.
Seems from the IRC that those guys believe gles is not supported.

But there is something weird: at first,both Wayland and Pulseaudio were undetected (no dev packages). And so it was written in summary: "pulse" and "wayland" where listed in "Disabled optional drivers".

Installed pulseaudio-devel, then 'configure script' detected it and was written in summary "enabled" section, as you can see.

Installed a bunch of weird things in order to let 'configure script' detect Wayland. It succeeded. But summary doesn't show it at all, "enabled" nor "disabled".

Disappeared. I don't understand it.

Also, I can't let OpenGL be detected, as somebody suggested on IRC. These are the times when I miss my Debian and its great collection of devel packages.

Check video/out folder and compare to newest version, no vo_wayland.* in the wayland 1.1 (0.1.7) version you're trying to make, only gl_wayland (the latest version has wayland listed in output if you modify configure to look for 1.1, but of course won't build, this is scary, our bleeding edge is already 6 months old for this project, hopefully jolla plan to move to wayland 1.2 soon)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Oh, that makes sense. Thank you very much. Time to wait until 1.2 is released.

@mced have you tried with the latest MPV version (0.4.2)...jolla wayland version is now 1.1.0+git2-1.2.1.....I really hope Jolla would upgrade to 1.4

Thanks, my Jolla was stolen five months ago and I'm sort of away, waiting for Jolla 2 on... 2015?

Originally Posted by mced View Post
Thanks, my Jolla was stolen five months ago and I'm sort of away, waiting for Jolla 2 on... 2015?
well that sucks, no insurance? Jolla 2 will arrive end of next year.. I would guess

I have been able to compile the most recent version of mpv with SDL2 + GLES2 backend. I used this configuration because mpvs wayland backend requires version 1.6 of wayland and SailfishOS currently ships with wayland 1.3.

but video playback does not work.

these are the current issues:
sometimes when i start a video this happens: https://bpaste.net/show/9609926e10ae
but sometimes it starts fine.. but the progress is not changing, the screen is black and there is no audio
if i press left/right or pause(space) and unpause(space again) it starts progressing automatically but there is neither video nor audio output
i have tried different file formats and file sizes but i had no success in starting a video yet.

the SDL2 errors i mentioned above happen independent of the file size at random.

The Following User Says Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
It's been almost 8 months. Any update on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
failfish