Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by henry
No problem with Slimserver overhere...
Trying again and now I have no problems either... nothing has changed, other than my 770 has been rebooted a couple of times. Scratch that one from the "negative" list - it works fine (phew!)

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Well, tested the new release since yesterday, I always considered it to be 'Snappy' to quote gadget1974 above. The good news is that now it stays snappy with more apps open and it doesn't require anymore reboots to get rid of memory clutter of the browser.

Misc stuff that seems to have improved,

-establishing a WLAN connection seems to happen even quicker
-nav pad can now be used to browse to pdf pages

Probably loads more subtle changes...

Last edited by Bill; 2005-11-26 at 14:49.

Originally Posted by Gwaant
As the update on the Nokia site is windows only, I got the .bin file from maemo.org and ran the Mac flasher following the Howto at http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_Fla...ImageWithLinux

Note that this method doesn't give you any nastygrams about taking backups etc beforehand, like I imagine the windows installer does, so if you want backups, you had better sort them out before trying this...

As others have said, browser connectivity is much better .. Bluetooth pairing with my P910i still fails though ...

Cheers ... Gwaant
Gwaant,

I really do feel silly but could you give me a more detailed approach on how to install this stuff. As root in the terminal I get a "-sh: ./flasher: No such file or directory" message. What am I doing wrong here ? The 770 is connected and off to my Mac through the usb cable. I don't get it. Also what do I do with the .bin file. Thanks for your explanations

Before doing any of this remember flashing will reset the device and you'll loose all yor settings. If you need anything backed up, you should do it before any of this. Probably a good idea for the 770s battery to be charged as well.

This is what I did:

1 - Turn of the 770 and make sure not plugged into USB.

2 - Download the flasher.macosx file from maemo - http://www.maemo.org/downloads/d3.php?f=flasher.macosx

3 - Open a terminal window in Mac OS X and naviagte to your download directory. Issue :

chmod a+x flasher.macosx

4 - Download the new 770 firmware .bin file from maemo. Go here: http://www.maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770 Enter your 770's WLAN MAC address (see the page for details on how to find it), next accept the terms, and then you'll see a list of files ... You want the big .bin one described as Software version 0.2005.45-8

5 - Go back to your terminal window, and I'll assume the downloaded .bin file is in the same directory as the previously downloaded flasher.macosx file. Now run the following (I did not switch to root first):

./flasher.macosx -F Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin -f -R

You should then get messages something like :

Found image 2nd (length 8576)
Found image secondary (length 79360)
Found image xloader (length 13824)
Found image initfs (length 1567360)
Found image kernel (length 1481728)
Found image rootfs (length 57540608)
Suitable USB device not found, waiting

6 - Now plug in the USB cable (I had the charger plugged in as well) and turn on the 770. If all goes well the terminal window will stop waiting and you'll get messages like this :

USB device found found at bus 002, device address 002-0421-0105-02-00
Found board Nokia 770 (F5)
NOLO version 0.9.0
Sending X-Loader image (13 kB)...
100% (13 of 13 kB, avg. 642 kB/s)
Sending secondary image (77 kB)...
100% (77 of 77 kB, avg. 775 kB/s)
Flashing X-Loader... done.
Sending kernel image (1447 kB)...
100% (1447 of 1447 kB, avg. 795 kB/s)
Flashing kernel... done.
Sending initfs image (1530 kB)...
100% (1530 of 1530 kB, avg. 795 kB/s)
Flashing initfs... done.
Sending and flashing rootfs image (56192 kB)...
100% (56192 of 56192 kB, avg. 647 kB/s)
Finishing flashing... done

If the 'Suitable USB device not found, waiting' message stays displayed, try unplugging the USB cable, switching off the 770, plug it back in and turn the 770 back on again.

7 - Restore any data you backed up, and enjoy a much better WiFi experience!

Cheers ... Gwaant

Thanks so much Gwaant. I will try that tomorrow morning and let you know...I have to admit that this terminal thing is new to me although I'm on Macs for 9 years now. I am a bit mad at Nokia for not providing Apple support as always...
Thanks again anyway, Manu

Sorry Gwaant but it just doesn't do it for me.
I can't open the flasher via the terminal. If I double click the flasher it opens a terminal window but when I enter either command
"hmod a+x flasher.macosx" or
"./flasher.macosx -F Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin -f -R"
I get the "No such file or directory" message and that's about it

Thanks

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Manu
when I enter either command
You have to ensure the terminal is in the directory containing 'flasher.macosx' - and that the downloaded file is actually called that.

If you downloaded it to your Documents folder, then the first thing you should type when opening the terminal is:

Code:
cd Documents
...then set the permissions and run the flasher:

Code:
chmod a+x flasher.macosx
./flasher.macosx -F Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin -f -R
Note that the flasher command above is assuming that you've downloaded the image into the same directory as the flasher itself.

HTH,

Andrew

Originally Posted by Manu
If I double click the flasher it opens a terminal window but when I enter either command

Thanks
Hi,

Don't try and double click the 'flasher' program (and it needs to be the flasher.macosx file you downloaded and not flasher).

First find out where you downloaded finder.macosx and Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin. Do this with finder e.g. highlight them and then select file/get info. On the Info panel on the General section should be a line that says Where: Remember this directory name. Then do the same thing on the Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin file you downloaded. The directory shown in the Where: section should be the same to make life easier.

Open the terminal window using finder e.g. Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

In the terminal cd to the directory identified on the Where: e.g. if it was /Users/manu/downloads do:

cd /Users/manu/downloads

Note that the names are cases sensitive.

Now do the "chmod a+x flasher.macosx" (without the quotes) and don't forget the c at the front of the command. If you get something like "chmod: flasher.macosx: No such file or directory" then you are probably in the wrong directory or have a typo in the file name ... do a "ls -l" to see the files in the directory. If the chmod works, you won't get any messages back, just a new command line.

Now try the flasher.macosx command:

If you get something like "Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin: No such file or directory". Again the names are case sensitive and make sure that Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin is in the current folder, again check with "ls -l".

Cheers ... Gwaant

Gwaant... It worked ! Thank you for your time and patience. You will stay as the guy who helped me through my first command line in the terminal.
Yes, all it took was cd Documents (I had moved both files from my desktop to the documents file prior). 2 command lines later - voilą. I do feel really stupid though. The machine seems to be snappier. I had backed up before the upgrade. I just finished the restore process and everything is there ! I can't believe that I nearly install Virtual PC on my Mac just for this upgrade ;-)
Thanks again and have a great sunday,

Manu

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
For what it's worth, I'm working on a GUI front-end to the Flasher program in Platypus. I'll hopefully have an initial release out for Mac OS X this afternoon.