Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
It does however feel like Jobs left Apple rather than Woz.
Just to be clear, both Jobs and Woz left Apple. It's just that eventually Jobs came back...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Way too surprising for my morning ... Are we to wittness kinda Nokiasque meltdown in Jolla?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Well something is up. The news was all over my twitter feed and now all evidence is gone. NDA? Marcs feed has been quiet for days as hs the official channel.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
i believe he is taking more of the role of commodore, governing multiple ships
Really? That's not how the now deleted tweets explained it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by beobachter View Post
Way too surprising for my morning ... Are we to wittness kinda Nokiasque meltdown in Jolla?
There's no Elop, there's no Microsoft, their managers seem to be invested in the company and not only their titles and there's no Symbian hoarding all of the R&D investments despite being a potential dead end while resting on their laurels thinking that they've cornered a market and were too big to lose.

No. Not another Nokia.

Marc Dillon's future endeavors might/might not include Jolla, but he was one of the founders with a vision of a startup that could release a device, change the way people saw how devices could be made, even sold and above all that it should be different and open enough to encourage other tinkerers, hackers and other fringe groups that feel left out of the Android and iOS race that's either under "Big Brother Google" or "closed platform/garden Apple" that none of us felt like we wanted to be a part of...

Yet, here we are, talking about Jolla some years after the fact, with a phone released with still incoming updates and a tablet that's ready to be shipped sometime very soon with an updated version of their Sailfish OS. You cannot say that much about most other companies at this moment that want to do any combination of my last paragraph. Neo900? Not yet delivered some 2+ years since I've seen it's first mention. And that "freedom" comes on an seriously underpowered, resistive, lower quality screen will cost you 4-5 Jolla smartphones. And it's still not yet available.

InvestorEye seems to match what he (and others) did while at Jolla. Find money, understand a demographic, talk to the engineers and thinkers, get them involved, get them talking and perhaps get some people investing.

With all of the layoffs just in Finland due to Nokia/Microsoft, it's not like there's a dearth of talent, capability and ideas. No... why not seed enough "think different/do different" mentality while making sure those minds do not go to Google, Apple or worse. It's what the Americans and Russians did with the German scientists during WW2 - take the best minds, fund them, watch the world change.

Am I speculating? Yep. Do I think Jolla is on its deathbed? Nope. If I were to speculate based solely on this forum, Jolla would have been dead at least 8 times, sold/reinvented as Nokia Jr. and running a bastardized version of a terminal only phone to make the geeks happy. Yeah... I don't think it works like that at all.

And I'm a serious outsider looking in. I have no true connections to Jolla, never tried their phone, ordered their tablet and if anything, I can see what niche needs to be filled. Perhaps Marc Dillon is doing just what I said, doing what I think he's doing... because it's sensible.

Sorry for the long post. Just tired of seeing doom and gloom whereas I see opportunity and a way to expand the horizons for the possibly disenfranchised yet incredibly intelligent folks in Finland that might bring a change that a huge corporation like Nokia might have never allowed.

Exciting times we live in... if you decide to look at it like that.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thanks to Cybette, and Jolla, for confirming Mr. Dillon left.

Now. A clarification, from my side, to Cybettes words.

As a company, Jolla can not say much more, at least without the concent from Mr. dillon.

Jolla can tell Mr. Dillon left.

Jolka can not, without the concent from Mr. Dillon, tell why or where Mr. Dillon left. That, is soleky a decision of Mr. Dillon as of if and when he wants to announce that.

This, is called protection of the individual rights, and is something we should all respect.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
It all feels not right here and I am to speculate that something not good is going on inside Jolla.
Marc Dillon was the most passionate and vocal Jolla representative, seemed full of energy and very supportive of the idea. To quit silently, stepping back from the venture he put his hearth into past several years, a venture so fragile and in such dire odds of survival - this is not the man he presented himself to be. So parts do not click for me.

And giving Jolla due credit for what they are trying to do is one thing, but honestly - they have just set foot out of the camp and they have mountains higher than Everest to climb ahead of them. They launched an OS with great potential and released 2 mediocre devices - this is far, far away from becoming an viable option in the mobile world.
Just my point of view.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Rumour has he is being sent to Samsung as a Jolla mole.

Samsung has a burning platform going (or meltdown if you prefer) with its piss pants to keep warm strategy of Android and failure to launch Tizen. Now their flagship phone is not selling good enough (not enough grooowwwth) and they are at their most vulnerable.

Marc will enter the ship with his Jolla boat and leave back to to Jolla when the Koreans have switched all mobile product line to Sailfish and moved their production plants to Finland

Later thousands of pages of airport bookshop business strategy lecture will be written about the small Jolla boat entering and capturing the juggernaut Samsung.

And the original Jolla fans will be looking for another independent small and privacy friendly OS..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
The most interesting part is what about his sailfish tattoo =)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
The most interesting part is what about his sailfish tattoo =)
Ohhh that's worse than having an ex girlfriends name

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post: