Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I had all that in a PM.
Just copied the entire thing.
It actually had Fedora everywhere. Had to edit and change it to Adnroid..
The !!!'s are nothing I believe.

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
I had all that in a PM.
Just copied the entire thing.
It actually had Fedora everywhere. Had to edit and change it to Adnroid..
The !!!'s are nothing I believe.
oh. i thought that was an angry quote. i guess i dont have to write a detailed easy debian tutorial now. there is a way to flash kernel from device. i remember reading that in the overclocking thread plus titans package does flash the kernel rt

Hi Steve, I've been reading through most of the thread, I have NITDroid working, but also some thoughts and a few questions.

I think it would be HUGE to have Android as an option for our N900, who wouldn't anyway?

That's why I am quite surprised there aren't many more devs joining you and e-yes in this, maybe they are focusing on Meego? Too much work? Few chances of success? Not many N900 users?

Anyway, how does this hacking work? Reverse engeenering?
Might Nokia's Meego closed drivers help you with your hackig too?

Any chance of having at least a properly working phone, data, and camera anytime soon? I have also read that you are even working on 3D acceleration, this is great! If you get those three working properly many people could even start thinking about using Android as primary OS.

One last thing, once you get a working driver, can you compile it against newer kernels without much trouble or you need to redo all your hacking for every new Android version?

Thanks for such a great effort, guys!!!

Last edited by ramoncio; 2010-06-18 at 13:33. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Good job ToJa. I like El_Poochino's steps at reply 937

His is just the facts mom type of instructions You have lots of pictures in yours. I would suggest adding code tags for the commands.
I'll see if the wiki software has some kind of code tags later

Kinda have a major hiccup as I've tried reflashing to normal state. After reflashing using the normal "flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_2.2009.51-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R" I am getting some corruption in hildon making it freeze. Strange that flashing has not returned it to its normal state. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I'm not getting the nokia hand shake on boot..

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Quickie: Does the current kernel have kexec support (to use kexec-tools)?

I remember there being something about it, I just don't remember what it was. I'm asking as I'd like to boot up Meego this weekend (just because I can).
Yes, kexec is enabled in config, patches (kexec.diff) are applied.
I tried kexec-utils without success, unfortunately.

Btw, if someone experienced with kexec can review... what I tried was something like:
Code:
/usr/sbin/kexec -u
/usr/sbin/kexec -l /mnt/new_root/system/lib/modules/zImage --append="root=b302 console=ttyMTD,log console=tty0 snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6"
sync && sync && sync
/usr/sbin/kexec -e
WE REALLY STUCK ON KEXEC PROBLEM FOR NOW.
It's most important problem. Solution of the problem opens doors for futher faster development && merging updates from upstream.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Might be an idea to drop a post in somewhere like or elsewhere for the KEXEC problem. I have seen other developers do that (putting the same post in many different sites).

Originally Posted by soredawg View Post
Kinda have a major hiccup as I've tried reflashing to normal state. After reflashing using the normal "flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_2.2009.51-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R" I am getting some corruption in hildon making it freeze. Strange that flashing has not returned it to its normal state. Any help would be appreciated.
Shouldn't it be RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM
?

If you were ever on PR1.2, then flashing as you did might cause some problems, as I understand PR1.2 upgraded some firmware.

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
answers are in bold inside quote

Originally Posted by ramoncio View Post
Hi Steve, I've been reading through most of the thread, I have NITDroid working, but also some thoughts and a few questions.

I think it would be HUGE to have Android as an option for our N900, who wouldn't anyway?

That's why I am quite surprised there aren't many more devs joining you and e-yes in this, maybe they are focusing on Meego? Too much work? Few chances of success? Not many N900 users?

alot of users feel android is not 'open' enough i think due to its dependancy on kernel features and non standard librarys(bionic)

Anyway, how does this hacking work? Reverse engeenering?
Might Nokia's Meego closed drivers help you with your hackig too?

mostly modifiying code, porting drivers etc but meegos drivers probalby wont work as they will be designed for a os using a standard libc implementation which android doesnt use

Any chance of having at least a properly working phone, data, and camera anytime soon? I have also read that you are even working on 3D acceleration, this is great! If you get those three working properly many people could even start thinking about using Android as primary OS.

3D is going to require a lot of work i think due to it being deisnged to work on 2.6.29 kernels and above and the n900 only being 2.6.28 at the moment. camera will need dsp first (the cam driver trys to use dsp to process the images) phone/data is being looked at by another dev whos orig from XDA

One last thing, once you get a working driver, can you compile it against newer kernels without much trouble or you need to redo all your hacking for every new Android version?

if your talking about new android versions (i.e froyo) its not too hard to port over provided goog dont change the underlying code totally (like they did with quite a lot between 1.6 - 2.0) if you mean kernels than usually its doable

Thanks for such a great effort, guys!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid