Posts: 191 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bloomington, IL
Been searching around but I can't find a solid HOWTO for getting debian ARM installed on the N900. I don't want to install it via easy debian or just install packages from it on Maemo.

I want to set up a true dual boot between a debian system and Maemo on the device (like is possible with nitdroid).

Anyone got a good link for doing so?

~Jeff

First thing's first, you need to get an ARM version of whatever distro you want to run. If there is no pre compiled version, try downloading the source to your phone and compiling it on the device.

Next, you need to copy the image. For a first attempt, I'd say do so on the Memory Card.

Lastly, on the eMMC (internal storage), install whatever you need for multiple self-booting OSs to run and be switched between (at boot time). I suggest using external storage for the non-Maemo OS itself, in case it doesn't work.

You should be able to install it (your distro) on to the N900 at this point. This also where things are likely to go wrong. Hopefully the image has a self-installer that picks up on what it needs to, in order to both start and fully install.

As you might be able to tell, I haven't done this myself so the above comes with no warranties!

From a high-level, that is your how-to. Apologies I can't be more precise on a low (instruction by instruction) level. Check info on how to install Ubuntu - should give you a good idea.

... post back with how you get on

Last edited by demolition; 2011-06-10 at 18:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
First thing's first, you need to get an ARM version of whatever distro you want to run. If there is no pre compiled version, try downloading the source to your phone and compiling it on the device.
:O lol do you realize how long it will take?

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Paris, France

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
debootstrap to an SD card?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Just find an ARM debian. dd the raw file to an SD and then jam in a kernel on first partition..
I recommend using the Ubuntu kernel with multiboot.
Should be that easy..

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post: