Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
First expression is very positive
After short usage, I would say that device is a bit more responsive (my subjective judgement) under heavy load (multiple application running simultaneously).

Thanks for bringing this option to Maemo!

EDIT: After some usage I see problems, device start to lag and eventually does not respond at all, need a reboot.

Last edited by Gusse; 2011-08-27 at 18:57.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by Seker_94 View Post
freemangordon what will this do to our N900 ?
Hopefully it will make the N900 more responsive or more likely it would take it more time to start lagging. The worst thing that could happen would be frequent random reboots. However a reflash will solve anything. If you are afraid to try it first backup using backupmenu and then try the patch.

So far I am not seeing much difference to be honest..although it hasn't been long.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Hopefully it will make the N900 more responsive or more likely it would take it more time to start lagging. The worst thing that could happen would be frequent random reboots. However a reflash will solve anything. If you are afraid to try it first backup using backupmenu and then try the patch.

So far I am not seeing much difference to be honest..although it hasn't been long.
Make sure your compcache swap has higher priority than internal flash swap i.e. when cat /proc/swaps ramzswap has higher priority value than mmcblk0p3

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
what is compcache do ?

it's useful to install ?

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Make sure your compcache swap has higher priority than internal flash swap i.e. when cat /proc/swaps ramzswap has higher priority value than mmcblk0p3
Higher priority value meaning closer to zero I guess?
Ramzswap0 was filled first after reboot, so that looks okay.

Curious to see how it's going to behave in terms of cpu/battery costs and performance wise after a period of time...

Code:
cat /proc/swaps
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/mmcblk0p3                          partition       786424  57804   -2
/dev/ramzswap0                          partition       131064  130728  -1

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
I am installing right now..
should we be more careful with compcache enabled about swappiness value? a value of 100 would make the cpu compressing data all the time?
edit: installed with priorities correct!. testing begins..

Last edited by evan; 2011-08-27 at 19:31.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
so once ive installed the .debs and added the .ko , what exactly do i do next ? and how do i do it? sorry for sounding somewhat uninformed

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
and how can we do that ?

disable and enable again "regular" swap - as one turned on later, it will have lesser priority.

Another approach is to get swqapon from - for example - debian - it have setting priority ( - p ) working, unlike vanilla maemo swapon.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
cat /proc/swaps , i cant find the ramswap drive