Notices

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by qole View Post
UPDATE: I just installed the libpurple0 hack on my second tablet and it just worked (ICQ started working again, nothing else broke) so I'm adding libpurple0-2.5.5.qole-1 to my repository.
Thank you qole.

this has fixed my msn connection error too.
it has appeared as a notification for update since i've enabled your repo a couple of days ago.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, here's a hacked libpurple0 that uses mostly files from the new 2.5.5 Ubuntu build and three files from the collabora build (libmsn.so, and a couple ssl libraries) so both ICQ and MSN work again.

I'd like a few testers who use both ICQ and MSN to "dpkg -i " install this deb, and if it works for you too, I'll put it in my repository* so it is easier to install.

libpurple0-2.5.5.qole-1_armel.deb

*technically, it is already in my repository, I just haven't updated the package lists yet; if it doesn't help, I won't bother...
i've just installed pidgin for the 1st time,but had your repository in my list; by default it installed your qole lib purple as a dependency! it appears fine; pulled my icq & msn contacts properly. noone was online so i couldn't test actual messaging. next step is to update os2008 IM. thanks again!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marsteam For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mich View Post
I'm using Pidgin on Chinook, and replaced my libpurple0_2.5.1-0nix2 by your hacked one. Unfortunately it messes up my contacts completely, e.g. I don't see any of my Jabber contacts any more etc. It seems it's not compatible with my revision of Pidgin. Fortunately, reverting to the old library brings back my contacts, so I just disabled ICQ for now.
Ok, so, everyone with Chinook, don't update Chinook Pidgin with this libpurple0.

It seems to be working with Diablo Pidgin, however... Any more reports one way or the other?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
just to follow up, i completed the os2008 IM upgrades according to qole's instructions on latest diablo with flying colours. very pleased that it works so well. msn works great, icq i can't test completely as noone was online again. thanks qole! painless, and very comprehensive instructions!

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I updated libpurple when it flashed as an update. GoogleTalk stopped working after that. I didn't notice it right away, but when I checked the account settings the account type was unknown. In the selection drop down box for account types, XMPP is no longer an option, which would explain why it stopped working.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
XMPP is called Link Local on my system; I have 'Google Talk' and 'Jabber' as distinct account types. Link Local requires certain Avahi libraries; see earlier in this thread for my instructions.

Here is a link to diablo libpurple0_2.5.1-0nix2_armel.deb.

(Here is Chinook libpurple0_2.5.1-0nix2_armel.deb for pidgin users, but I don't use Pidgin, so don't ask me for help!)

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-21 at 05:01.

Just wanting to understand - are these applications, rtcomm and pidgen for maemo, still with active developers? I see the instructions posted to work around the msn/icq problems, but will there be an official fix / update of rtcomm and/or pidgin? Having just yesterday performed a much needed reflash of my device (something I very rarely have an opportunity to do) I'm just feeling really cautious and am worried about tinkering around with hack? fixes that might cause problems down the line. Thanks.

EDIT I installed the pidgin currently in extras and the updated the libpurple with your (qole) file linked at the bottom of post above mine. ICQ in pidgin works, but is this also for rtcomm or is that soomething else? The instrructions posted a short whe back seemed much more complicated sounding then what I just did.

Last edited by chrisak; 2009-03-23 at 11:17.

The instructions are to get all of the account types working with the built-in chat client, not Pidgin. The built-in chat client is preferred by some because you don't have to start an application each time you want to chat, it just logs you on automatically when you connect to a network. These account types aren't available in the built-in chat client without installing the rtcomm beta package.

Thank you for creating and sharing the fixed libpurple qole. I do understand the desire to use the builtin chat over pidgin as I have used the same since around the time of it's release. My method of installing what appears to be a working rtcomm was a bit more simple however. I had just refllashed - installed pidgin from extras and the updated the 1 file using your libpurple.... I don't even think I used red pill mode to do so. Pidgin seemed to work now (icq) but it was missing a couple of the other services (google and jabber)

Then for Rtcomm, I manually entered the rtcomm and collabora catalogs as I've always done and then installed rtcomm 2.4 from extras. Rebooted and now I seem to have working ICQ and MSN (as well as the rest, but not sure about linklocal which I've never used.) So unless I missing something and things are not really working as they appear, Thank you

PS what I don't know, but hope, is that I can now remove pidgin without breaking rtcomm and that if I reflash again in the future and rtcomm has still not been officially fixed, that i can skip pidgin and just install rtcomm from extras and then install your ssinggle patch file after.

EDIT Well I remove everything and started over just to see. Intalled Rrtcomm from extras with rtcomm and collabora added manually and enabled... rebooted then installed yourr libpurple patch (regular user, not red pill) and rebooted. Everything "seeems" to work, Thanks!

Last edited by chrisak; 2009-03-24 at 05:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisak For This Useful Post:
I changed the version of my hacked libpurple0 so it is lower than the pidgin one, I ditched the pidgin-data dependency (thanks qwerty12) and I put it back in my repository as version 2.5.0.qole -- I did a fresh install and updated my instructions. It's a lot less work this time and (perhaps because I didn't have the Chinook repositories?) the link local seems to be working without hacks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
instant messaging, rtcomm