Active Topics

Notices

There must be some existing thread about this, but I can't come up with a suitable search string...

I've had the N900 for just two weeks and it is driving me nuts because of the phone application.

It is set to run in portrait mode. So it launches in portrait mode. But as soon as I select a contact or dial a number and press the CALL button, the app goes to landscape mode, and the window becomes a miniature, as if I were switching to another window. So I have to tap it so it will get focus and enlarge, which immediately causes it to go back to portrait mode.

This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Sometimes, it happens in a quite slow manner, such that an entire (although brief) call can take place and end, and the phone hasn't come back to portrait mode yet, and I can't press the END button. That is a lot more common if I have another app, any app, also running.

Today, I had a call that ended after 3m16s, but it took so long for me to regain control of the phone app that I couldn't press END until 5m22s, and I believe I may have been charged for 6 minutes of conversation rather than 4.

So is it just me, or is the phone app on the N900 really this crappy?

I love the Linux and "open" aspect of this device, but I am beginning to think that I made a big mistake when I bought it. I have problems with multitasking all the time. Apps freeze and take a long time to react. The music player chokes and skips quite frequently, especially if I have some other app running (besides widgets).

Welcome lucm!

I have no such problems with calls on the N900, so my guess is that this is a configuration issue or that your N900 is swapping due to many open apps.

I suggest you start by installing the CSSU (http://wiki.maemo.org/cssu), since it improves the user experience of the phone overall.

Furthermore, with the CSSU you will be able to alter the phone app settings so that it sticks to portrait or landscape mode, if you wish so.

The Following User Says Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
But I am running CSSU, and the phone is already configured to stick to portrait mode.

Posts: 202 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ France 55
Don't stick portrait mode in phone app, only cssu.

Well, I set it to automatic, the problem remained.

So I set it to landscape, and the phone only ran in landscape mode.

I set it back to portrait mode, back to square zero.