Active Topics

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
I'd love to see a docking station for this baby.

To me, ability to hookup a hi-res monitor and keyboard when I'm in the office, and have the desktop in my pocket when I'm away would be a killer. I'd make this my primary computer !

Picoprojector in it would be also a killer.
I'm not sure how well a USB-VGA dongle will work, but if so then it should be easy to make a "docking station" - have a USB hub that you plug in when you get to work. Keyboard and mouse should work out of the box with full X. Also with full X, I don't know that much but a different desktop / window manager should be doable if someone ports it.

Alternatively you can use x11vnc today. I am glad they are making a way to make the mouse cursor visible. That also suggests to me they are planning something beyond a touchscreen. Perhaps a bundled x11vnc server and desktop app?

Beagleboard has a DVI port out but n900 is probably using this for the touchscreen; I haven't looked. If there was an external DVI connector then perhaps it would be possible to switch between the two.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
Beagleboard has a DVI port out but n900 is probably using this for the touchscreen; I haven't looked. If there was an external DVI connector then perhaps it would be possible to switch between the two.
There are two framebuffers on the OMAP3430 and OMAP3530. The primary XGA framebuffer which is used to drive the DVI-D port on the Beagle and the display on the N900 and the secondary VGA framebuffer which is used for TV-out on both devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There are two framebuffers on the OMAP3430 and OMAP3530. The primary XGA framebuffer which is used to drive the DVI-D port on the Beagle and the display on the N900 and the secondary VGA framebuffer which is used for TV-out on both devices.
Yes, I figured the n900 was using the same port as DVI for the beagleboard. To my knowledge that does not rule out the possibility of switching to an external DVI connector, though both could not be used at the same time.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
packet injection support by wireless driver?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
A lighter! Oh wait, I'm confusing brands now.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Did you guys already know that the n900 has haptic touch? That was something new to me when i was watching the videos!

Nice. I like haptic touch!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I didn't like the haptic feedback on Samsung er.. I think one of the Omnias. I thought it was overdone and sort of pointless. But I'll have to wait and try N900's implementation of it.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I didn't like the haptic feedback on Samsung er.. I think one of the Omnias. I thought it was overdone and sort of pointless. But I'll have to wait and try N900's implementation of it.
Of course this is nokia.... you can always turn it off

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Did you guys already know that the n900 has haptic touch? That was something new to me when i was watching the videos!

Nice. I like haptic touch!
And where can I see those videos?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't know what you're implying, but Samsung's can be turned off too.