Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Hey boys and girls, just got an email on the N9 with a PDF attached. No problem, thinks I, I'll download that and take a look. I click on the attachment bar and even get the option to change the name of the file with the 'Save as' pop up window. And it downloads quickly, and tells me 'Completed'. Great!

NOW WHERE IS IT???!

I have FileBox and I have spent ages looking for it, but it's nowhere to be found. I've looked in 'Downloads' (most obvius folder to look) nope. I opened the Document viewer, but that only shows Word docs.

So where is the blasted file? Anyone shed any light on this? I've searched all over Google and can only find people with similar problems but no solutions.

Can you remember what the file was called? If so, try this

Code:
find -name *<part_of_name>*.* 2>/dev/null
The only place it would be if it can't retrieve it is in the temp folder and auto-wiped! What happens when you run that commande when you've still got the browser and pdf viewer open?
If you can see a pdf on your screen, it must have downloaded to somewhere on the device... 'find' should show you where they're being deposited.

As you might have guessed I only have an N900 but they're both linux, right?

Last edited by demolition; 2012-01-20 at 21:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Can you remember what the file was called? If so, try this

Code:
find -name *<part_of_name>*.* 2>/dev/null
I will try that - but is there anywhere obvious pdf attachments should go when they're downloaded? I just tried it again, and same thing. Nothing!
So weird.

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
I will try that - but is there anywhere obvious pdf attachments should go when they're downloaded? I just tried it again, and same thing. Nothing!
So weird.
As I suggested above, if you're viewing the pdf, it's on your device but in a temp folder. It appears, from what you say, the Save function isn't working properly. Somehow, you need to grab it from the temp folder and copy it to your MyDocs.

If you're using FileBox or going through folders in the terminal with ls, make sure you allow hidden files and folders to be visible. i.e. ls -a

If find -name doesn't work, which it might not because the browser can rename things to suit its filing pattern, look on computer hope for how to use the find command. What might make the file findable or individual? Date, time, size, etc.

It is there!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ London
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Hey boys and girls, just got an email on the N9 with a PDF attached. No problem, thinks I, I'll download that and take a look. I click on the attachment bar and even get the option to change the name of the file with the 'Save as' pop up window. And it downloads quickly, and tells me 'Completed'. Great!

NOW WHERE IS IT???!

I have FileBox and I have spent ages looking for it, but it's nowhere to be found. I've looked in 'Downloads' (most obvius folder to look) nope. I opened the Document viewer, but that only shows Word docs.

So where is the blasted file? Anyone shed any light on this? I've searched all over Google and can only find people with similar problems but no solutions.
press at the top of your screen and a menu will pop down at the bottom of it you will see file transfers click on it and you should be able to take it from there.

Originally Posted by jpetrise View Post
press at the top of your screen and a menu will pop down at the bottom of it you will see file transfers click on it and you should be able to take it from there.
Yep, tried that already and the PDF file from the email isn't there. Not sure what happened to it.

@demolition: typed the find line in Terminal, it said no such file found, so I'm assuming it's not there. I'm stumped on this one.

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
After download:
/home/user/.qmf/tmp/fenix-temporary-files/[some_string]/

After save:
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents

Just send to you an pdf file renamed to test.pdf, dowload it and save it and search in FileBox test.pdf

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smcsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It should get into the Documents folder when saving. I remember that this once worked on my N9 (I don't get that many PDF attachments by mail).
It shows up in the Documents app now.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
It should get into the Documents folder when saving. I remember that this once worked on my N9 (I don't get that many PDF attachments by mail).
It shows up in the Documents app now.
Thanks, yeah that's the behavior I was expecting which is why I'm confused that it's not this simple. I'm going to keep trying with this, something doesn't add up...

Originally Posted by smcsa View Post
After download:
/home/user/.qmf/tmp/fenix-temporary-files/[some_string]/

After save:
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents

Just send to you an pdf file renamed to test.pdf, dowload it and save it and search in FileBox test.pdf
I haven't tried the first one, but the second shows nothing. 2mb downloaded to somewhere!