Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Another one from the list:

* Finding simple Camera applications that work with the v4l device for snapshotting and recording and documenting these on wiki.

apt-get install cheese gnome-media

Make sure tablet user is in 'video' group. Run gstreamer-properties to set ximagesink and select correct camera (omap24xxcam)

As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
(b-man.. I recommend you work with qole if you guys are working on similar projects .. 2 heads is better than 1 and all that.. and no need for parallel projects on something this small).
Thanks for the tip , i'll contact qole when i get an "early prototype" of this software running and take off from there.

I'm still looking into how qole made that synchroot file witch i will include in a file called cdeb2-mount and am planning to take a fuew snipits of code from debbie to work with some other components of Cdeb2.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey b-man, help yourself to whatever you want. I look forward to seeing your stuff.

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm aiming for one more release of the Easy Debian scripts (with a few more small tweaks and enhancements) and a new filesystem image (mostly Debian Lenny with a few Sid bits) that rolls up everything we've discovered since I released the first Easy Debian.

After that, assuming there are no bugs, I'm done with the project. I'll probably focus on deblet from there on, and help you guys in the area of chroot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Worked on this one: * Finding ways to optimize Deblet to perform better, both in booting time (bootchartd is very useful for this) and runtime. I've had upstart running but it didn't do much difference.. under this also making the batteries last longer

I have committed an update to boot-basics that includes some things Maemo does at bootup to optimize. I -think- it feels more speedier and responsive. Could any of you upgrade_deblet, apt-get dist-upgrade and reboot, and see if you can feel any difference?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

I'll do it and update this with a yay or nay.

ETA: Dude ... I dont know what you did but everything in my debian seems to be launching snappier and running smoother. I thought it was decent before but this is nice... even the browsers seem to work faster and load pages better... iTT is more usable...

Maybe it's just hype but I do notice a significant change.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-09-06 at 04:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Worked a bit on this, and got some progress

* Making bluetooth DUN work and maybe PAN.

Status: wvdial fails miserably, so it's not possible to use gnome-ppp and likes.

/etc/ppp/peers/gprs:

/dev/rfcomm0 115200
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-gprs'
crtscts
modem -detach
noccp
defaultroute
usepeerdns
noauth
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-accept-local
noipdefault

/etc/ppp/chat-gprs:

'' ATZ OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
OK "ATD*99***1#"
CONNECT ''

rfcomm bind rfcomm0 00:19:63:A7:9C:69 3

Nokia-N800-51-3:/etc/ppp# rfcomm release rfcomm0
Nokia-N800-51-3:/etc/ppp# rfcomm bind rfcomm0 00:19:63:A7:9C:69 3
Nokia-N800-51-3:/etc/ppp# pppd call gprs
Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
not replacing existing default route via 192.168.98.1
Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
local IP address 10.20.204.180
remote IP address 10.64.64.64
primary DNS address 212.17.131.3
secondary DNS address 148.122.208.99

.. So it's atleast some progress :>

I worked on that right after I started using Deblet and got wvdial talking to my blackberry pearl.. but it segfaulted when I finally got the right combination to make it even start the dialing process..

So I was never able to get it even as far as yours.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Hello again, after working all day to create a functional Cdeb2 install, i've finaly got this working , Currently it still relys on a terminal window though but it has a lot of the features that i mentioned, includeing "cuser" witch is a spin-off of debbie and "csynk", witch allows safe chrootage with bootable deblet. You can download the tarball here.

Btw, I may not be responsive for today, verry busy . ~( started school, sports, ect..)
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Decided to throw this one in with the challenges as it's quite useful if it works properly - and me and qwerty12 has done some work on it - thanks to n3x for the idea.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...5&postcount=13 - getting hildon-input-method to work in Deblet.

A very bad screenshot - it might work better in matchbox - but this is activated by touching the text field as on Maemo, with no hildon environment running.

http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/nit-d...hod-framework/ for the ported packages from Ubuntu Mobile

Files edited to get this to work:

stskeeps@Nokia-N800-51-3:/etc/gtk-2.0$ cat gtk.immodules
# GTK+ Input Method Modules file
# Automatically generated file, do not edit
# Created by gtk-query-immodules-2.0 from gtk+-2.12.11
#
# ModulesPath = /root/.gtk-2.0/2.10.0/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/immodules:/root/.gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules:/root/.gtk-2.0/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/immodules:/root/.gtk-2.0/immodules:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/immodules:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/immodules:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules
#
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/hildon-im-module.so"
"hildon-input-method" "Hildon Input Method" "hildon-input-method-framework" "/usr/share/locale" "*"

--EOF

Make hildon-input-method run in the background when GTK has started.

$ hildon-im-recache

$ gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/inputmethod/input_method_plugin -t string himExample_vkb

So, I guess the challenge is to make this into something useful so we don't have to use MB for atleast GTK applications. Or QT (there's a IM plugin for that too). And I have an idea for how to make H-I-M work for normal X applications too.

https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mobile is where all packages are fetchable from using bzr - it's a matter of dpkg-buildpackage them and getting build dependancies. But the -example one is probably the most interesting to hack to work in normal WMs.

http://live.gnome.org/Hildon/HildonInputMethod/Theme is also interesting.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2008-09-07 at 20:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Some more to the hildon input framework work:

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet challenges