Active Topics

I just hope there's better support for playing DVDs (with DRM) over network. I don't want to rip+convert it and I don't want to struggle with VLC to do it. My Popcorn Hour does this much better.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@volt: good luck with finding enough juice to make that practical.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@volt: good luck with finding enough juice to make that practical.
Funny, that's the same they say on the Popcorn Hour forums about running a decent web browser. It is made for streaming, and it streams very well considering the miniscule hardware platform. I have played directly over the net from a shared DVD, while doing the decrypting on the PCH side. As far as I can tell, the Popcorn Hour A-100 has a Sigma SMP8635 chip running on 300 Mhz. Decrypting DVDs has been done since the first DVD-roms were fitted into 200 Mhz Pentium MMXs. A Cortex CPU doesn't seem that weak compared to the PCH.

And all other arguments aside, there are no reasons why there could not be a PC side streaming server that does exactly what the VLC does, but optimized for the Maemo device. I have totally failed to get VLC streaming anything stable. Such software does exist for the PCH btw, and their community isn't that much bigger than this one.

It's not only a question about juice. It's a question about technology. Even today the N810 can play rips.

So, I don't need to find any juice, I need to find software :B

Last edited by volt; 2009-08-21 at 10:45.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Funny, that's the same they say on the Popcorn Hour forums about running a decent web browser. It is made for streaming, and it streams very well considering the miniscule hardware platform. It can also play directly from DVD, while doing the decrypting on the PCH side. As far as I can tell, it has a Sigma SMP8635 chip running on 300 Mhz. Decrypting DVDs has been done since the first DVD-roms were fitted into 200 Mhz Pentium MMXs. A Cortex CPU doesn't seem that weak compared to the PCH.

And all other arguments aside, there are no reasons why there could not be a PC side streaming server that does exactly what the VLC does, but optimized for the Maemo device. I have totally failed to get VLC streaming anything stable. Such software does exist for the PCH btw, and their community isn't that much bigger than this one.

It's not only a question about juice. It's a question about technology. Even today the N810 can play rips.

So, I don't need to find any juice, I need to find software :B
Oh, the RX-51 would have no problem playing back 1080p video.

By 'juice' I meant power, portable power specifically. With the WiFi + decent screen brightness, cpu+gpu working overtime to decode and do any post processing job, I'm guessing it can do it for 3 to 4 hours tops.

PS: I have a PCH too. Very good device for the price, sucky UI though. I end up replacing it with XMBC on a mini ITX.

Oh, then I misunderstood you.

Well, two of the places I'd use it to watch video is in bed, and, ironically, in front of the TV. The TV is set to "Animal Planet" a tad too much for my liking.

So, yes, I don't know if it could display 3 hours of video on the train, but the ability to do so at all would be progress IMO.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The device hasn't been announced yet. We don't know for certain what kind of video output it has. The leaked images show a composite video cable, and the line drawings in the FCC filings might provide some hints as to what the connector looks like, but the question is still far from resolved.

If the RX-51 provides composite only, then interlaced SD video will be the limit. Your only HDMI adapter will be a bulky, and rather expensive, scaler.

If the RX-51 offers something better--component, RGB, Mini-DVI, Mini DisplayPort, Mini-HDMI, 3G-SDI--then you'll be able to explore the limits of the device's ability to push pixels to HD displays.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO now that we know it doesn't have a native HDMI output, I wonder if the USB port could somehow be connected to an HDMI conversor (I have no idea if the bandwith required for HD video is there).