Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I've been trying to move past that word Garage, as it has turned out to be a totally unnecessary stumbling block
Sure :-)

Can we agree that SOME sort of public content management has distinct advantages for the community and especially end-users, over private content management?
Agreed, and since we have extras in place, and it comes with a very good incentive for developers (repository enabled by default) from Fremantle onwards, is anything more needed?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Can we agree that SOME sort of public content management has distinct advantages for the community and especially end-users, over private content management? Doesn't the latter work against the very concept of FOSS?
Yes, you are absolutely right. But where's the problem? I don't know any open source projects for Maemo where source code isn't easily available from some public place.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right. But where's the problem? I don't know any open source projects for Maemo where source code isn't easily available from some public place.
I can't name any offhand, either, but others have reported abandoned projects with no access to the latest source...

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Texrat certainly has made a valid point.
So DO let's start thinking about it,
and see if any ideas for further improvements CAN be found.

As I understand Texrat, he includes projects started by amateurs and budding pro's,
so here is one small comment :

Among many reasons why projects are abandoned,
or why abandoned projects are not picked up,
one could be that the code is too sparesly commented, or not clearly enough structured.
And commenting code well encourages good coding.

( One of the most popular word processors in CP/M - MS-DOS times was coded after the manual was written, according to grapewine.)

So, can that be encouraged ?
Can beta testers be encouraged to look at (parts of) the source, and then somehow give karma ?
Can karma for easily understood code somehow make life easier for the project ?

One post pointed in a similar direction by suggesting karma for good management.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
Thanks Kristian.

And many already know it, but I have to make it clear that 95% of my development and management background is Windows-based. I have never coded much less released a Linux app of any kind so my portions of any dialog along these lines is shaped by the comments/complaints of others. Given that, it's highly likely I've commited some errors of understanding that have gotten in the way of this topic.

What would help me is a basic process map of the suggested maemo development/release /install/support process. Does such a thing exist? If not, can one be worked up? I would gladly put it into Visio if I had a partner who could get me up to speed...

EDIT: thanks to Jaffa I found this-- http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras_reposit...ess_definition

It's a start!

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-15 at 22:48.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Texrat ,

( I'm not a programmer, not even small scale.)

Agreed, it's a start.

But very little is said
about encouraging programmers to make easily supportable code ,
( which also makes coding easier as the project grows,)
or about easing the unexpected hardships of a growing project ,
( so it doesn't slow down to a stop ) .

( maemo.org wants a growing programming community, right ? )

So , for this and other reasons,

your post #1 still wants brainstorming.
Which is usually easier in smaller groups.

Perhaps, for a start, find a way of encouraging the "crazier" members to a mind-jam-session with "-rw-r--r-" permission.

( Let this forum continue to be and become better than the Linux world in general, which tends to leave beginners on their own until they are far enough to know what to ask.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
I'm used to being met with a hail of bullets.

I was just wondering if something stronger might be feasible and useful, at least for perhaps a "premier" tier of apps. I may be just nuts based on responses though.
No, no, not nuts at all... I think I am starting to understand all these policy-creating people: forcing others into their policy gives them a feeling of accomplishment without doing any actual work, doesn't it?

Is that a snipe?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
So, can that be encouraged ?
Can beta testers be encouraged to look at (parts of) the source, and then somehow give karma ?
Can karma for easily understood code somehow make life easier for the project ?

One post pointed in a similar direction by suggesting karma for good management.
Just as a reference, ohloh has (an automatic) project analysis feature. Based on the specified source (you just specify a SCM), it takes a look and displays some info about it. For example, pidgin. Not saying it should be done in the same way, just saying that OSS project analysis is not a completely uncharted territory

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: