Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Exactly, Nokia is a very different mobile company than Apple so just comparingApples high-end strategy with Nokia's low-mid-high range strategy will be difficult.

Symbian spanned across all three catergories and therein Meego could not fill the gap.
While Meego might be great for the high-end only how would you replace the low-mid end with if not with Symbian ?

WM7 I am not sure plays to which category really, but Android at least has shown it works from low-end $99 phones to high-end Samsung Galaxy series. So if WM7 can do that then thats adequte reason for Elop's strategy.
So the argument is that although Meego could support a range of phones that could match apple..... it should be put on the back-burner in favour of windows because it is not ready for low end phones?

I would have thought that matching apple in the new world of an ecosystem best centred around one key smart phone.......yes which is different from the old world of low a plethora low end phones which do not support an ecosystem ......that matching that and having nokias own ecosystem should have been the goal?

No....i guess trying to build Microsoft's ecosystem rather than being a competitor makes more sense. Except, Nokia is unlikely to prosper as just another builder of a phone for an ecosystem.

That's not what Nokia expressed to us. The slides said that MeeGo should be the top edge smartphones, while Symbian should still be the main smartphone OS.

But that's not the point. What was talked was using MeeGo as a replacement for Symbian across the whole range - and Nokia have a much bigger Symbian line up than 1 device/year.
So what kind of different wp7 or symbian^3 devices are there on the market? Right, except the E6 they're all the same!!

Touchscreen with the same form factor, same UI, maybe a different camera or an additional hardware keyboard, thats it.

This news is ********.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by volt View Post
That's not what Nokia expressed to us. The slides said that MeeGo should be the top edge smartphones, while Symbian should still be the main smartphone OS.
Yeah, I don't see a change on how Noka handles MeeGo with that.

Symbian lines will be migrated to WP7, Meego will be released 1 per year or 1.5 years, as flagship phones as the N900 was. And this will not mean that weren't be WP7 flagship phones, like N97 and N8.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
From the specs of the WP7 phones, it's very possible that it can easily on more underpowered platforms. Not underpowered as current Nokia's low end hardware, but it seems it can fit mid range easily.

And seems like the WP7 experience doesnt need to be sacrified on worst hardware, as Android needs (launchers, lower resolution, etc)
Have you seen the minimum specs for a WP7 phone? No way can Nokia push this to their low low end, also, most, if not all of Nokia's current midrange have terrible ARMv6 processors and a dismal amount of RAM.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
So what kind of different wp7 or symbian^3 devices are there on the market? Right, except the E6 they're all the same!!

Touchscreen with the same form factor, same UI, maybe a different camera or an additional hardware keyboard, thats it.

This news is ********.
Yeah, WP7 seems to be a good fit to replace Symbian, engineering wise. I just don't see why and how WP7 could replace MeeGo. Maybe in the future, as newer interactions add more and more functionality to the OS.

Despite the CPU, the memory amount, HVGA res and 5mp camera looks very midrange to me. And by the time Nokia targets WP7 to midrange, there will be much better CPUs available, and the price will drop.

And keep in mind that actually Nokia sells underspecced hardware compared to their competitors. 512 ram and dual cores are the norm in smartphones bleeding edge now. See the original Galaxy S: it's last year design, single core, and it's already a midtier, with an ARM8.

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-06-02 at 14:48.

It was ment to be like this:

However, with the introduction of MeeGo, the synergy between Nokias platforms increased tremendously. Both MeeGo and Symbian^3 would be Qt based, meaning that the software built for the broad Symbian user base, also would work for the top end devices. Replacing Symbian and ditching the Qt as Nokias main development platform does indeed change everything for MeeGo. Qt and the addition of the Symbian user base were the only advantages many saw here, when Nokia scrapped Maemo for the new MeeGo strategy.

Now, once the new N device is out, Nokia says MeeGo@Nokia will be downsized and moved back to being a R&D project. This is planned to happen with the MeeGo funding:

That's a pretty steep cutback, especially considering how few devices they got out on the original funding.

Also, we have that whole stock warning situation from this week. Ahonen speculates that Elop may use that to cut MeeGo completely.

So, I do see how Nokia handles MeeGo differently now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I'm looking at it like this:

I love my N900, it's great and can do a lot of stuff other phones can't, but only because the community stepped up and filled in the gaps. Take a bare stock N900, and tell me it's ready to go toe-to-toe with either iOS or Android for use by the masses.

Yes, I know it was step 4 of 5, and not really ready for the masses. But even given that, I always felt like the OS had been rushed out 80-90% complete, just to get something out the door. I believe that the N900 was released because they had the hardware, had delayed as long as they felt they could and needed to get something moving before the community left, the hardware was surpassed, etc. Feel free to disagree, this is only my thoughts.

However, I can see the project leaders for MeeGo saying everything will be ready on time, don't worry, it'll be great, back in October. A quarter later, in January, excuses are being made, upon further review, it's determined that while they could release something ala the N900 (not quite finished) and hope the community picks up the slack, or face the music and decide it's just not ready.

That kind of fits the scenario of having a bunch of older hardware to pawn off on developers (initial orders were placed on the assumption the OS would be ready), and why you'd need a second device with newer hardware to compete in the mass market when the OS is finally ready for release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Elop tried to call Oistämö, but his phone battery was dead. "He must have been trying an Android phone that day," says Elop.
Elop be trollin.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, good move, goodbye nokia, wp7 rocks