Milhouse,

You made this software? It's very impressive.
It shows on the boot menu that you can set up boot from mmc external, USB hard and recover from wifi? Wow! I want to later add those functions.
My external drives can still connect through USB and everything else works the way it did before. Also it seems faster and more peppy. Boot is a tad faster too. I still have issues with high CPU that I would like to investigate. Any thoughts have others reported that issue? Again thanks for your efforts.

Dan

Milhouse,

One last thing.
The corrupted files problem seems to have cleared up with the process I went through because the tar and .sh apps I was able to get through wget?
I think all those apps corrected the problem internally as far as wget being able to retrieve files from web. This is why I think what I created can be fixed without reflash. It's your call. I'm going to get some sleep and I'll check to see if you responded later.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Milhouse,

Quick question can your app for mmc boot be completely removed so I can start the whole process again or do I need to reflash os2008 and reformat the mmc card I used.
Please look at all my comments and see where I went wrong. I think I went wrong in several places but the big one might be naming file ./sin instead of ./bin. What do you think.
Everthing works. it still boots from flash and it says it boots from mmc but I don't see all the memory. Only 4.87 out of 16gb.
Any help you give me will be greatly appreciated.
If I need to flash I will have to go the Nokia store in NYC and redo everyhting tonight. I leave tomorrow morning.
I get the strange feeling that I missed a step and nothing was harmed or damaged permanently. You have way more experience in this than I do. I'm just thinking out loud. I have learned a termendous amount. I'm begining to see how Linux works and how the n800 operates behind the screen. It's all good.
Thanks,

Dan

Try this,

Yours 0 1 2 3 4 are fine, I do not know how to read 8 and 9. I would reboot,
- xterm
- sudo gainroot
- cd ~/bin (DO NOT change Mil's script, follow exactly what the script is. No joking.)
- ./nupgrade.sh 0
- ./nupgrade.......

bun

Bunanson,

Didn't work so I used my backup to restore. Then reformatted the 16gb card. Both procedures worked. Now when I boot up the menu comes on for different types. Will try whole process again see what happens. If all else fails it's off to Nokia store for a reflash. Yikes!
Milhouse please help when you get a chance.
I will be here all day.
Thanks guys,

Dan

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I type in sudo gainroot
then after the
/home/user # I type in "chmode +x nupgrade.sh tar"
or is their something I need to type in?
The instructions are pretty clear - when logged in as "user" (ie. not super user/root):
Code:
mkdir ~/bin
cd ~/bin
wget http://www.nmacleod.com/nokia/bin/nupgrade.sh
wget http://www.nmacleod.com/nokia/bin/tar
chmod +x nupgrade.sh tar
You don't become root (via sudo gainroot) until later.

Also step 5 if that's the step where I allocated how much memory for the os, yes I did that. Now this line confuses me " 6 - Initiate Sardine operating system upgrade of cloned OS on memory card". What is Sardine? I have not yet cloned the OS to the memory card? I thought that what's step 7-3 does. Just too new, but I did make it this far with your help and Fanoush and Bunanson. I just want to finish, celebrate and go to sleep.
Dan
Ah sorry, I became confused when you referred to step 5 and step 6... I have modified the wording in the instructions as there are (were) two references to a step 5 and 6 which lead to my confusion!

Ignore the instructions in step 7.3 (see updated instructions) - you don't need to do this, it's entirely optional. Once you have completed step 7.2 you are done, finished.

A link to Sardine is provided in the instructions (see 7.3), where the purpose of Sardine is explained in the "About" page. Suffice to say, you don't want or need it.

after "not found" message it says "Done"
My guess is you haven't downloaded tar.

(replying as I read this thread - two pages still to go, you may have fixed this by now!)

EDIT: I see you're using a directory called ~/sin despite what the instructions say to use... the nupgrade.sh script expects tar to be in the ~/bin directory. If the tar file is not downloaded to ~/bin, you will need to edit the nupgrade.sh script to change /home/user/bin/tar to /home/user/sin/tar in order to compensate for your modifications.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2008-01-14 at 21:53.

Milhouse,

Quick question can your app for mmc boot be completely removed so I can start the whole process again or do I need to reflash os2008 and reformat the mmc card I used.
You don't need to start the whole process again - just follow the instructions to the later and don't invent your own, this is where you went wrong.

The mmc boot menu is by Fanoush, but yet it can be removed by reflashing just the initfs portion of the device which avoids losing any installed apps, or reflashing the whole firmware if you are happy to restart from scratch. But you don't need to do this, it won't solve your problem.

Please look at all my comments and see where I went wrong.
You haven't followed the instructions - don't use any directory other than ~/bin when downloading nupgrade.sh and tar. If you invent your own directory (such as ~/sin) then this process will not work.

I think I went wrong in several places but the big one might be naming file ./sin instead of ./bin. What do you think.
Correctomondo!

Everthing works. it still boots from flash and it says it boots from mmc but I don't see all the memory. Only 4.87 out of 16gb.
Fanoush's boot menu will try to boot from MMC but fall back to internal flash if the MMC card is corrupt (or in your case, does not have a viable OS cloned to it).

Any help you give me will be greatly appreciated.
If I need to flash I will have to go the Nokia store in NYC and redo everyhting tonight. I leave tomorrow morning.
I get the strange feeling that I missed a step and nothing was harmed or damaged permanently. You have way more experience in this than I do. I'm just thinking out loud. I have learned a termendous amount. I'm begining to see how Linux works and how the n800 operates behind the screen. It's all good.
Thanks,
Dan
Nothing is harmed as far as I can tell - you just need to start step 7 in these instructions and follow them to the letter, then all should be well.

Milhouse,

You made this software? It's very impressive.
It shows on the boot menu that you can set up boot from mmc external, USB hard and recover from wifi? Wow! I want to later add those functions.
My external drives can still connect through USB and everything else works the way it did before. Also it seems faster and more peppy. Boot is a tad faster too. I still have issues with high CPU that I would like to investigate. Any thoughts have others reported that issue? Again thanks for your efforts.

Dan
Fanoush deserves all the credit for his wonderful bootmenu!

If you want to add USB boot support for your device please create a seperate thread!! For now let's focus on booting from your MMC/SD card.

Bunanson,

Didn't work so I used my backup to restore. Then reformatted the 16gb card. Both procedures worked. Now when I boot up the menu comes on for different types. Will try whole process again see what happens. If all else fails it's off to Nokia store for a reflash. Yikes!
Milhouse please help when you get a chance.
I will be here all day.
Thanks guys,

Dan
There's a really easy and conclusive way to determine if you have booted from internal device flash or the cloned OS - check to see if you have a filed called "CLONE-COPY" in the root partition, if you have then you have booted from a cloned OS (ie. MMC or SD).

Code:
ls -la /CLONE-COPY
If the above file is found, you're running from MMC/SD.

Milhouse,

Many thanks.
I had someone look at it and they told me the corrupt files were just going to keep harming the apps and as I add more it would compound the problem. I had wget not working that is why the tar app never made it to the finishline.
I've learned an incredible amount and now at I least have a rudimentary understanding of what is going on. i've spent the day reading and looking over my notes as I went along.
I had it reflashed at Nokia store and before I load any apps I will do this first. Luckily I make regular backups (about once a week) so I can go back to different points in the development of the n800. MMC boot seems to be the foundation from which all other apps can be platformed on. After this install I will add the USB Host app. Then the rest.

Question - has anyone done it with a 16gb card? There doesn't seem to be limits to the size of the cards.

Many many thanks to you and Bunanson and Fanoush these last couple of weeks.

Dan
Now back to getting my n800 where I want it.