Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
My GPDWin Also arrived yesterday.
Build quality is pretty nice if you ask me
Cool. I wish i had invested in this instead of jolla. How is the browser experience?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I'm wondering are they going to have a Core-M version instead of Atom chipset. Or is it user upgradable to Core-M?

Atom chipset is quite useless in my opinion, even with light tasks. Never had any good experience in the past...

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Please, where did you guys get it from ? I`ve tried to order it from the GPD`s store at Aliexpress and they said me that is out of stock. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Cool. I wish i had invested in this instead of jolla. How is the browser experience?
I also invested in the Jolla just like many others of us here on TMO....
I haven't got much time to play with it yet, since I'm doing updating the OS and patching things I don't like on the OS

Originally Posted by saponga View Post
Please, where did you guys get it from ? I`ve tried to order it from the GPD`s store at Aliexpress and they said me that is out of stock. Thank you.
I backed it on Indiegogo a long time ago.
You could buy it from www.geekbuying.com they are one of the official distributors for the GPDWin.

Edit: Seems like Geekbuying is also out of stock, but it'll be in stock soon. They also give you a free case at the moment for pre-orders:
http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/gpd_win

Last edited by HtheB; 2016-11-04 at 11:01.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I also invested in the Jolla just like many others of us here on TMO....
I haven't got much time to play with it yet, since I'm doing updating the OS and patching things I don't like on the OS

I backed it on Indiegogo a long time ago.
You could buy it from www.geekbuying.com they are one of the official distributors for the GPDWin.

Edit: Seems like Geekbuying is also out of stock, but it'll be in stock soon. They also give you a free case at the moment for pre-orders:
http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/gpd_win
Yeah, jolla missused its own brand as well as crowdfunding in general. But happy too see GDP was successful both with the campain and with the product. Great Work!.

Yeah too many in queue+ships in 20 days too long...

Please get back with a note if you are getting the browser up and running, eventually, maybe.

It will be a nice edition to your collection of gameable devices

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
The browser experience has no short comings, touchscreen gestures make it easy to scroll/zoom to read text. The left stick acts as a Page Up and Page Down button.

@saponga I got mine from DragonBox. There's also Amazon, DinoDirect, GearBest, etc..

Originally Posted by theonelaw
Outstanding !-

You said you were installing Arch:
Are all these observations are all made regarding
performance under Arch ?
Those were under Window's performance actually.

I will still be doing that soon.. i'm just enjoying it the way it is right now before I do that. The things I have said about linux on this device is from another person's experience on it, not my own.

Here is a video of Xubuntu running on the system. Xubuntu 5Ghz Wifi Works and Steam

Originally Posted by railroadmaster
Generic as in off the shelf. It doesn't use that much in the way of unique components. The 5.5" 720p touchscreen is used in a variety of products, the intel atom processor and motherboard are super common and are found in dozens of products and the flash and ram would definitely be off the shelf. I am not sure about the rest of the components such as the sound chip, sd card reader, bluetooth, speakers, or wifi. Those components I am not sure of.
The SD card reader identifies as a generic one.

The screen might be generic as well, because it defaults to a portrait orientation when you first set it up. People have speculated that they were used on smartphones. Definitely not bad quality though.

Watch these to get an idea to get an idea about it's components.
Heatsink Mod Part 1
Heatsink Mod Part 2
Note: His is different from mine in terms of cpu (z8750) and his heatsink has fins where mine does not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Not for me, I don't care about Windows (for most people that seems to be main reason wanting a x86). I do care about battery life, Linux, community, quality, features and long term support. That is why I expect the Pyra to be a better option for me.
I am looking forward to see an unbiased comparison between both running a Linux distro.
BTW. they have designed the Pyra to be CPU upgradable so it might be possible to get an x86 on the Pyra as well.
I did not reffered to x86 only for running windows (althought that is a plus).
I'm talking about the instruction set of the CPU. If you want to do something more advanced like programming microcontrollers, you'll face challenges if you try to run a specific program on the ARM instruction set, since most programs for that are made for x86.

Yes, you can run x86 apps on ARM if you emulate them (https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/) but again you'll face all kind of strange errors when trying to do something specific.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I did not reffered to x86 only for running windows (althought that is a plus).
I'm talking about the instruction set of the CPU. If you want to do something more advanced like programming microcontrollers, you'll face challenges if you try to run a specific program on the ARM instruction set, since most programs for that are made for x86.

Yes, you can run x86 apps on ARM if you emulate them (https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/) but again you'll face all kind of strange errors when trying to do something specific.
You need x86 to run any commercial games whether it be Windows or Linux

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
You need x86 to run any commercial games whether it be Windows or Linux
I'll give you an example: i have a project in which i have to use this sensor: http://www.calex.co.uk/product/tempe...s/pyrominiusb/

The sensor connects to the pc only via USB and came with a software called "CalexConfig" which is not programmed for ARM architecture.

Now i have a small pc based on raspberry pi, so i have to rewrite the entire software and drivers to be able to communicate with the sensor. But i don't want to reinvent the wheel, i just needed some portable computer that could just work.

I ended up buying another sensor (analog) and connected it to a CAN and then to the portable raspberry pc. But this is another story.

My point is that if you have some specific commercial equipment, and have a small portable pc with an ARM cpu, you simply don't have the possibilities that you have with the x86, since most of the softwares available for that is designed for x86 architecture.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I'll give you an example: i have a project in which i have to use this sensor: http://www.calex.co.uk/product/tempe...s/pyrominiusb/
Wow. The only Calex I have known until now was the refrigerator brand.
As it turns out, a former refrigerator brand

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpd win, linux, pocketable, windows