Active Topics

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Mira (Venice) - Italy
So... I'd like to recompile kpv48 with bfs and fcam driver but... I don't know how do that...

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
already using multiboot with kp48/nitroid and now added latest bfs6.debs. used swappolube to edit available values as when using echo commands from this thread and direct edit on phone or winscp the values reset to default after reboot. unfortunately i found that my phone ran really badly when set up that way with loads of hangs when multitasking and occaisional reboots too. using kp48 again trouble free . unlucky ? or my bad set up ? really not sure...really appreciate this thread and tigrettes etc work to give me the chance to try though even if so far unsuccessful.

Last edited by moepda; 2011-08-20 at 14:56.

Could anyone else with the BFS kernel and the CSSU update 16 or 16.5 check if they still have the call distortions.

It didn't happen to me once since upgrading a few days ago. Since I realized it I also tried to force it by doing something on the phone that utilizes a lot of CPU time and then calling myself. This was something that normally always caused the distortion. But until now it didn't happen even once.

I know the new CSSU update fixes to some memory leaks and probably more stuff of hildon-desktop... so after all it might not have been a directly BFS related thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to MONVMENTVM For This Useful Post:
Curiously, which release of BFS kernel are you using?

this one:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=254

Btw. as a small update: there was a short call distortion for a few seconds today but it went away and I could talk and hear clearly afterwards.

I hope that this wasn't just a lucky streak but something that happens a lot less now.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Btw. as a small update: there was a short call distortion for a few seconds today but it went away and I could talk and hear clearly afterwards.
In my experience, some short distortion means that the problem is still there, and that you'll eventually get a more severe distorted call later. Please do report back though .

I've been talking with Tigerite about releasing kernel-bfs to Maemo's repositories with only the BFS patches enabled up to v0.330. This because of the following reasons:
a) I don't see the distortion being fixed anytime soon
b) kernel-bfs has some advantages over kernel-power. For example the -ck patches. (Subjective point)
c) BFS 330 is still BFS. Whilst it isn't the latest version, it still offers BFS' (design) advantages over CFS.

I've been running this configuration as my stable configuration for several weeks now, without any issues. Expect this release soon.

Last edited by iDont; 2011-09-11 at 14:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
If I understand correctly, it will contain all kp48 advantages + bfs, yes?

Maybe You could include also freemangordon's and colin.stephane's patches/fixes, that are going to made it into kp49? Especially, that it fixes quite severe bugs, causing device reboot in certain applications (so called "save as" bug, but it's not limited to leafpad "save as").
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
If I understand correctly, it will contain all kp48 advantages + bfs, yes?
The changes from kernel-power v48 are in kernel-bfs' git repository since 2011-08-23. So yes, it will. Do note that kernel-bfs also got some additional patches over BFS.

Maybe You could include also freemangordon's and colin.stephane's patches/fixes, that are going to made it into kp49? Especially, that it fixes quite severe bugs, causing device reboot in certain applications (so called "save as" bug, but it's not limited to leafpad "save as").
Sure, they fit in the project's scope (which includes being a bit more bleeding-edge). We can't keep track of every patch posted on the forums, but I assume you mean the ones posted over here?

--

On some other news: we're 'professionalizing' everything a bit to make kernel-bfs ready for some wider-spread usage. For example, there's a new (small) wiki page* and we're doing little (cosmetic) cleanups where needed. One of the last points on the TO-DO list is this TMO thread. We're thinking about starting a new, proper [ANNOUNCE] thread for when kernel-bfs hits the repositories. We tried contacting coreyoconnor to update the first post of this thread a while ago, but we didn't got a reply . What does the general public think about this? Is it justified? Of course, there'll be a reference to this thread if we decide to go with a new thread.

*Feel free to extend it, if you want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Thanks for explaining it. BTW, it seems that their (freemangordon and colin.stephane) patches to kernel-power are always here:
http://bigbob.fun.free.fr/maemo-kernel-power/

I by no means expert on this, but it seems that changes fit project purposes, they're definitely more on bleeding-edge (especially compcache).

I also totally agree with your idea of starting proper announcement thread, if title of this one can't be changed. Especially, that You're going to revert back to version without call distortions, so, probably, thread won't be bombed with report about this for n pages.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks for explaining it. BTW, it seems that their (freemangordon and colin.stephane) patches to kernel-power are always here:
http://bigbob.fun.free.fr/maemo-kernel-power/
Thanks for the pointer. Their work got merged: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/ggi...7530190218d138

I also totally agree with your idea of starting proper announcement thread, if title of this one can't be changed. Especially, that You're going to revert back to version without call distortions, so, probably, thread won't be bombed with report about this for n pages.
A little status update: I'm currently waiting for Tigerite to merge his UBIFS patches (as I prefer not to merge other people's work ). After his push, I'll push the updated debian/changelog, and send kernel-bfs to Maemo's autobuilder.

To bridge the gap in time, I've compiled kernel-bfs as how it would be released to the repositories. You can find the debs, source, and uImage on kernel-bfs' garage page. The changelog can be found here.
I've been running this configuration for about two weeks now, and a slightly changed configurations for quite some time before that too. Everything should go smoothly .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post: