Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Has anyone with the Jolla *not* installed any Android apps our even the Android Davlik VM?

Wondering what Jolla is like at its base UX?

And if its not usable without it, what apps services are necessary and why?

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Yes I will NEVER not in a million years pollute my precious jphone with ACL! But as mike said earlier I'm too drunk to give an informed answer about what's missing or not. Basically almost everything is missing but as Sailfish is using qt5/qml which has not that many apps yet, ... it'll take a few years to get some mainstream apps I guess.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

(My Jolla playing audio / video streams shot with 808 to prove a point on some Android minded forum)
...that point being that they have no idea what real multitasking means?

One of the videos you play is running inside a browser, yes?
which browser is it? Is it a flash video?
If so, how if that possible with Sailfish OS not supporting Flash (AFAIK)?
I've been meaning to ask that about Sailbro, what do Flash-heavy websites look like in it, and which other video streaming sites besides Youtube (if any) can be viewed on a Jolla, and how does that work?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
How do Facebook-only-contacts behave in Sailfish? Basically, I'd like to know the answer to this question:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91334
but regarding Sf. Is it possible to never have contacts imported from FB to the Sf-addressbook in the first place?

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
From the screen shots I've seen, it appeared that the keyboard on Jolla phone does not have keys like Ctrl, tab and esc. Is there more than one keyboard layout that comes with phone? On my Galaxy Note 3 I can do a Ctrl by pressing the lower volume. Then the combination: Lower Volume + i makes tab for example. Perhaps the Jolla phone does something like this?
Another possible option: Is the android app called hackers keyboard available to download from Yandex... This has all the control keys I mentioned as well as F1 and so forth.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Has anyone with the Jolla *not* installed any Android apps our even the Android Davlik VM?

Wondering what Jolla is like at its base UX?
I have installed only VM, but no apps yet. I have android tablet, so I can use android apps there. I'm wondering where to download apps. I don't want anymore Google and spying of users. But do the apps spy itself, if I download something for example from amazon?

Still waiting for native Sailfish apps..

The Following User Says Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
How do Facebook-only-contacts behave in Sailfish? Basically, I'd like to know the answer to this question:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91334
but regarding Sf. Is it possible to never have contacts imported from FB to the Sf-addressbook in the first place?
You see them in People and you see them when writing a message. Haven't found a way to not import them.
Also seems like you don't see then when calling, no matter if they have/don't have their phone numbers on FB.

EDIT: you can turn off synchronizing completely. but then it won't sync anything (contacts, calendar, photos, timeline posts)

Last edited by jusE; 2013-12-22 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to jusE For This Useful Post:
After a few days with Jolla, I'm starting to understand it a little better. At first I tought that should I go back to my old Samsung phone until they come up with some updates but thanks to this and few other forums theres no need for that. Thanks to these forums, the whole experience with the phone is a whole lot different, in a good sense, than those with more popular OS.

The phone itself seems to be quite nice quality, Sailfish is still a work in progress and, like many others, I'm waiting for some native applications like WhatsApp etc. Battery life has come up on many discussions but at least for my use at the moment it lasts from early to morning to lte evening and thats enough for me. Obviously I dont mind when it gets better at some point but still it's ok for now. But all in all, I'm quite happy of my purchase.

Go launcher ex and volume control are really good apps to have while waiting for the native apps, thanks for the good tips to parasemic.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AlloAllo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
The terminal launches as the nemo user, but always goes to root folder for some reason. It doesn't seem to run .bashrc or .bash_profile.
If I ssh into it, it works of course.

So my aliases and colored prompt setup doesn't seem to work.
Anyone figured that out?

Another thing: I tried to symlink my sd-card folder so that it was located under /data/sdcard as mmc. Of course I had developer rights.

Like this:
Code:
ln -s /run/user/100000/media/sdcard /data/sdcard/mmc
I could "ls" that folder from inside sailfish with bash, but from inside a file manager in android it just looks like a file, it doesn't follow the symlink.
Could I in some other way get android to see my sd card?
See, I use the subsonic android application until there is a sailfish one (like my own for instance ) and I don't want the music cache to waste space in the internal memory.

Any ideas on these things?

Last edited by Larswad; 2013-12-22 at 09:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
after 3 days of use managed to crack the display. didn't even drop the phone so no idea where it came from.
A long crack from right to left side of the display.
blah

also the system stuffs (gallery, etc), UI aren't that ready yet. I'm thinking of switching back to old good N9 and leave jolla for some time (3 months ? ) to the box and then try it again and see how it has been developed further.

Last edited by jusE; 2013-12-22 at 09:29.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience