Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Slate View Post
Hopefully Turing will eventually make a great Sailfish phone,
Sure, but where will they get the tape ? That's usually the biggest issue.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Also this thing will have a fingerprint reader, meaning will sfos also be supporting that? meaning nexus 5x wont be all useless in terms of fingerprintness

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Also this thing will have a fingerprint reader, meaning will sfos also be supporting that? meaning nexus 5x wont be all useless in terms of fingerprintness
Now this is the question I originally had. We know about hall sensors and the like; but not a finger print reader and how it will store your information (on the device, secured perhaps?) like other so-called secured systems?

There's other things but in the end, sorta glad to see a much more modern take on what a handset might be in 2015 or so as opposed to long-held options from 2010 or so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Just becouse the hw support it...the software might not. From release or ever.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Just becouse the hw support it...the software might not. From release or ever.
You might have a point; however if they're converting over the people that's already pre-purchased from Android to Sailfish, you'd think there would be some parity in features.

That's the smart thing to do. Now, let's see if they're smart.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why no official word from Jolla?

Delays...strange changes...failed promises..scam 2.0...cancelled? Deja Vu, anyone?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02...-2016-promise/

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-02 at 21:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
3GB

"Sailfish OS is now running perfectly on the Turing Phone"

Last edited by mosen; 2016-02-02 at 21:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
3GB

Sailfish OS is now running perfectly on the Turing Phone

https://freakxohbingo.de/bundles/bingo/img/6.svg
Please fix your image. Can't see it.

Simply don't trust it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Reading thru some of the comments in other places around the web about this, I wonder if there's something of a hurdle with Android going forward that contradicted what Turing was no longer able to do.

What if Turing...
- noticed that later version of Android while more secure, didn't fit their model of security promised/promoted
- noticed they had a technical ability to write an Android engine (a Davlik variant if you will) but had trouble with Google Play APIs
- saw Sailfish OS as an option where they didn't have to do as much work with the UI layer, but could lend a security focus and be differentiated from other mobile device/service security-focused companies with decent media coverage or delivery

In a sense, using a (somewhat) polished platform that could use the good-will and security focus to create opportunities for both.

Risks...
- not delivering the device on time
- losing internal folks who might have had such the emotional/technical attachment to Android that it basically stopped addressable work
- putting said device(s) w/SailfishOS in the hands of folks who might have the reputation for attention, but not a favorable opinion or history with SailfishOS or similar open source mobile platforms
- losing whatever application store support (as the note seems to indicate they have something different than what Jolla has been running with - which makes sense)

Opportunity
- Amazon is reportedly getting back into the phone game and could see a secure phone with a distinct operating system as the right/suitable conduit to get into markets which might not be as up on security, but are up to speed on being quick for short-term cash

All in all, makes for some interesting conjecture when you start playing a role of reading tea leaves. But, what's needed here is a cup to put the hot water into, not just a pleasant breeze.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I hope it is true, but I remain quite sceptical.

My bet is that it is a vaporware. That being said, my conclusion has nothing to do with their SailfishOS announcement - even with Android, it looks to me like another Ubuntu Edge. The first time I saw some info on this last year, my first thought was 'vaporware' - once I hear "liquid metal", "saphire glass", "e-ink thin as a paper you can write on" from some company that has never released any device and announces plans to release it in a unrealistic timeframe, it raises a flag.

The worst case scenario is that is is indeed a vaporware and Jolla falls for it, in a situation where they take any interest from a potential licenser as a life saver.

Some additional inconsistences were already mentioned by others:
  • No news from Jolla - even if you blame Jolla for imperfect communication, they were always careful to synchronize press releases with their partners.
  • Sensors and fingerprint reader support. Especially fingerprint authentication support is not a trivial thing and I doubt that Jolla is in a position where they would be able to implement it in two months. Plus if it is such a low level stuff, there should be some clues in Mer source code already (maybe they are, I haven't checked).
  • If they were to go with Android initially and were able to sell it to customers as a privacy solition, what would be the point of ditching all effort on this and going with a system that is likely unknown to their current customers (pre-orders)?
  • Even though I really enjoy using SailfishOS, I don't think it is currently on a level where it can get security certifications. I may be wrong, though, as there is a working solution for encrypted calls (from a third party, as mentioned on Twitter by its author, some company even sells Jolla phones equipped with this software as a encrypted phone solution). And it has been a year since Sailfish Secure was announced, so maybe things have changed.
  • The press release cannot be found on their official website and they still list Android in the specs. You are preparing a phone for almost a year and you cannot wait with a press release to at least update your website?

I hope I am wrong, though.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone