Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
yes, as long as companies will keep using LostDOS (aka windooooz) their "business model" is safe
but how long will that be?
& it doesn't mean they'll keep throwing good money after bad one forever into their mobile adventure.
just like NOKIA kept financing Maemo w/ their fat margins on Symbian.
again, and perversely, Flop killed NOKIA's golden egg lying milk giving swine; wouldn't he be glad now to have only one of those golden eggs?
You really seem to have some kind of blind hate for MS, that's odd, personally, I like to use/try anything & everything, no ideologies.
I want a future where there's a healthy mixture of ALL types of sw, proprietary/closed* & F/OSS, not purely one or the other...
We're still far from that, but, I think we're in better position than we've ever been, so long as Apple/Google don't continue at the same pace.
MS had a past where they ruthlessly dominated the commercial sw world, but that power's been waning for ages, it's resulted in a softer MS.
Nowadays you'll see a browser that adheres to standards as often as other major engines (often more), + MS offers it's sw/services on multiple platforms far more readily than others.

*MS actually contributes a **** ton to F/OSS nowadays, it's (mostly) come round to the notion that it's better to go with the flow than against it

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-07-23 at 09:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Bllamer forced out after $900M Surface RT debacle maybe?

fan boy, are we?
Fanboy? Why the insult? You seemed to be saying Surfce was canned, that's what I was addressing.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Fanboy? Why the insult? You seemed to be saying Surfce was canned, that's what I was addressing.
apologies about the "insult", not meant that way.
your rejoicing about Surface's evolution (independently of its being born dead) and ignoring... a $ 900M gap (and its consequences) seemed to hint that you were maybe not (totally) objective.

i don't care about m@ke$$h!t, surface or stinking to heaven's guts, but the allusion to Bllamer's losing his job was obvious enough, wasn't it?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-07-23 at 08:45.

apologies about the "insult", not meant that way
I don't see how it could be taken any other way, anyway, apology accepted...

your rejoicing about Surface's evolution (independently of its being born dead) and ignoring... a $ 900M gap (and its consequences) seemed to hint that you were maybe not (totally) objective.
Well, you're assuming it's stillborn, it's carving out a new FF for itself, it's not trying to compete head-on with the one Apple started & Google/Others emulated.
It's too early to say it's completely dead, as a device (not a platform/strategy) it's a rather nice one, irrespective of one's religious beliefs or tribal groups etc.

i don't care about m@ke$$h!t, surface or stinking to heaven's guts, but the allusion to Bllamer's losing his job was obvious enough, wasn't it?
It was time for him to go, he made one too many big missteps...
But he also laid much (not all) of the framework for the evolution we see now, so his legacy (to some extent) lives on.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-07-23 at 09:15.

You really seem to have some kind of blind hate for MS, that's odd, personally, I like to use/try anything & everything, no ideologies.
i'm running vista2 in a vm (-¦ on a 3.7.10-1.36-desktop ¦-) because it's the only OS that supports the USB3 ports of my lappy, at least out of the box
thus my "stinking to heaven's guts" reference.

and i may actually get myself a Lumia Pureview w/ my contract renewal (after getting a 808 two yrs ago), mostly for the better low light performances
know i'm going to hate it (for everything else) and only use it as a camera, but... technology is our passion, right

I want a future where there's a healthy mixture of ALL types of sw, proprietary/closed* & F/OSS, not purely one or the other...[...]
because i need a couple Android apps and the Sailfishes' Android performances are simply not (yet?) up to par i finally got myself a Moto Photon Q a few wks ago.
with Cyanogenmod (and a SIM-mod)
still hate Android

in fact all i want is... a "pocket computer running on Linux".
not sure i'll be able to afford a Neo900
plus i don't really care about the CSSU mess, thus probably won't run Fremantle "out of the box", thus probably not going to pursue this avenue, neither.
and my "desktop" is fine, thanks, running.... KDE 3.5.10 "Release 266"
sorry, old fashioned ¦-)
but as i already mentioned, recent kernel, Qt4 & all that

I don't see how it could be taken any other way, anyway, apology accepted...[...]
fanboy
A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic: the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces.
take it as an insult if you have to...
i didn't say you were a troll now, did i?
even though our in house troll made an appearance...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Yes, I think this discussion has run it's useful course.
Lets clear the stage for others...

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Not just yet.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://360.here.com/2014/08/29/here-...alaxy-android/

Here maps for Galaxy phones...great news

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Maybe someone knows something about Here Maps for Galaxy tabs?

Tags
espionage, trojan man