Active Topics

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Coolio. I'm a dive in this weekend.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ NJ, USA
Is there an easy way to map the + button to make the stylus rightclick, as in VNCviewer? I'm 2 out of 10 in Linux experience, and would appreciate step by step instructions.

I've uninstalled KDE, but I have noticed that running Maemo you get the equivalent of a right-click (popup context menu) by tapping and holding. Just put the stylus down and hold it for a couple of seconds, and the menu pops up. You have to drag the stylus into it, because if you lift it the menu immediately goes away. Perhaps this works in KDE too, or could be made to work?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by TabletKev View Post
Is there an easy way to map the + button to make the stylus rightclick, as in VNCviewer? I'm 2 out of 10 in Linux experience, and would appreciate step by step instructions.
I was able to set up the "Click Toggle" fairly easily by doing the following:

1. Grab the script provided on page 1 of this thread (basically copy and paste text provided into KEdit or KWrite) and save as swmb.sh

2. Open Control Center ->Regional & Accessibility -> Input Actions

3. Make a New Group (eg: Kev's Actions)

4. Click on Kev's Actions and then make a New Action
a) General Tab -> Action Name: Click Toggle (or whatever); Action Type: Keyboard Shortcut->Command/URL (simple)
b) Keyboard Shortcut Tab: Tap on the rectangle and then assign the keyboard presses you want to activate the action. If you assign this to the (+) you won't be able to use that character anymore in regular text input - but as long as you don't care. FWIW - I assigned "click toggle" to Ctrl+F4 (F4 is the Menu button) but you can choose pretty much whatever button(s) you want.
c) Command/URL Settings Tab: Command to execute = navigate to the path of the swmb.sh file

5. Click Apply and go try out your new "Hotkey"

6. Now that you know how to set up a Hotkey you can look at some of the examples and try to make some others. I've made some for XMMS (my current media player of choice - I love the EQ) such that I can Play/Pause; Next Track; Previous Track - without having to stop reading my pdf files or minimize my pdf viewer window at all .

P.S. Many Thanks to Penquinbait for figuring this out!!! You ROCK!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
I was able to set up the "Click Toggle" fairly easily by doing the following:

1. Grab the script provided on page 1 of this thread (basically copy and paste text provided into KEdit or KWrite) and save as swmb.sh

2. Open Control Center ->Regional & Accessibility -> Input Actions

3. Make a New Group (eg: Kev's Actions)

4. Click on Kev's Actions and then make a New Action
a) General Tab -> Action Name: Click Toggle (or whatever); Action Type: Keyboard Shortcut->Command/URL (simple)
b) Keyboard Shortcut Tab: Tap on the rectangle and then assign the keyboard presses you want to activate the action. If you assign this to the (+) you won't be able to use that character anymore in regular text input - but as long as you don't care. FWIW - I assigned "click toggle" to Ctrl+F4 (F4 is the Menu button) but you can choose pretty much whatever button(s) you want.
c) Command/URL Settings Tab: Command to execute = navigate to the path of the swmb.sh file

5. Click Apply and go try out your new "Hotkey"

6. Now that you know how to set up a Hotkey you can look at some of the examples and try to make some others. I've made some for XMMS (my current media player of choice - I love the EQ) such that I can Play/Pause; Next Track; Previous Track - without having to stop reading my pdf files or minimize my pdf viewer window at all .

P.S. Many Thanks to Penquinbait for figuring this out!!! You ROCK!

I am not sure what I am missing here but after following your instructions, all that happens when I press the shortcut key is that Kwrite opens displaying the code. It doesn't execute it, I guess.

Originally Posted by Machster View Post
I am not sure what I am missing here but after following your instructions, all that happens when I press the shortcut key is that Kwrite opens displaying the code. It doesn't execute it, I guess.
More details are needed... What exactly does your "Command to execute" say? Also when you saved the file using KWrite did you make sure that there wasn't any extension added to the end of the file name? KWrite shouldn't do that - but you never know - the file name must end in .sh and nothing else (no .txt)

More details are needed... What exactly does your "Command to execute" say? Also when you saved the file using KWrite did you make sure that there wasn't any extension added to the end of the file name? KWrite shouldn't do that - but you never know - the file name must end in .sh and nothing else (no .txt)
The file does end in .sh. The command is "/media/mmc2/swmb.sh"

Originally Posted by Machster View Post
The file does end in .sh. The command is "/media/mmc2/swmb.sh"
Hmmm... And you used KWrite or KEdit to make the file-Right? If so, then the only other thing I can think of is to try moving the swmb.sh file to /home/user/ and changing your command accordingly. That's where I've got my shell script stored and I know it works from there.

So your command would then read /home/user/swmb.sh

Hmmm... And you used KWrite or KEdit to make the file-Right? If so, then the only other thing I can think of is to try moving the swmb.sh file to /home/user/ and changing your command accordingly. That's where I've got my shell script stored and I know it works from there.

So your command would then read /home/user/swmb.sh
I used Aquamacs text editor to create the file. The text does appear the same when viewed in Kwrite. Moving it to my home folder does not alter the results.

machster, apologies if this is too simple minded, but
did you make your script executable (chmod a+x swmb.sh)?

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, mouse