Notices

Hey everyone,

I decided to make an app for browsing reddit.com. As much as I love my N9, browsing reddit in the native browser is a pain.

This is my first app that im releasing so dont be too harsh

There are still features that I would like to implement that arent in this version so I will be continuing to develop this app.

Oh disclaimer. I will NOT be adding a user account feature to the app as I do not post nor upload onto reddit so I do not need such features. I may consider in the future if there is enough interest but I think thats when the app would become a paid app as the app would no longer just a hobby for me.

- Currently the app shows the /r/all subreddit on the main page but you can change to a different subreddit by using the search icon at the bottom.

- The app currently gives a little screen lag when loading a reddit thread if there are lots of comments. So until Ive figured out a way to load the comments without the slow down, the number of comments you can view is capped at 100.

- You can change the order that is shown using the list icons. Changing from hot to new or to top, etc. By default the program loads whatever the reddit site shows when first entering a thread.

- The app loads images in app that are direct links. The app also supports the loading of imgur images in app. Also supports albums from imgur. Also supports animated images like gifs.

- You can pinch zoom the images and also rotate the phone into landscape, whereas the rest of the app is locked to portrait.

- The app automatically goes the image when loading a reddit thread.

- Pull to load on the subreddit to load the previous page or the next page.

Edit:

-Forgot to mention that clicking on the banner bar will take you to the subreddit named. Useful for going from a thread from /r/all to something else

-Also double clicking on images will resize the image so that the width matches the width of the screen. Saves some effort from zooming in to scroll left to right if its readable at screen width

Think thats all I wanted to say. I will attach some images for people to see and you can contact me on twitter: @articnova for any questions or suggestions.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb meeddit_0.1.2_armel.deb (34.6 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by articnova; 2012-11-07 at 01:53.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to articnova For This Useful Post:
That's a pretty sweet little app, does what it says on the tin. Thanks!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Wales, UK
This looks sweeeeet!!

I really, really like the app. It has perfect MeeGo styling and superior image support than QMLReddit, which is my other Reddit program on the N9. I, for one, would love to see (and would pay for) account support for your app.

I have noticed that your app does lockup/crash after some use, but I haven't figured out how to reproduce this with a specific protocol. But if I'm using it for several subreddits or threads, it freezes and necessitates a shutdown by swipe.

I hope that you can incorporate the increased functionality without too much trouble, including perhaps landscape support app-wide?

Great effort though. Awesome job.

So I just registered here for this because this is an awesome reader. It looks awesome, the way you color code the comment replies by level is really intuitive and it all just looks great.

I tried the other few reddit programs there are but they aren't really worthwile so I settled with the idea of using the reddit mobile site in the browser and then from nowhere came this and damn it's good.

I'm a little sad to see you're not planning on at least adding the option to comment but still. you're the best!

//Z

The Following User Says Thank You to Zpiritual For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
wow, you don't have an account?

but the default subreddits are terrible, horrible places.

not plant for release the source code ?

The Following User Says Thank You to e0x For This Useful Post:
I have been using Derp, but it only supports /f7u12, so this looks like nice addition.

http://store.ovi.com/content/263347?...e=search&pos=1

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Really nice app, best reddit viewer for MeeGo for sure. Would be neat if you could click on a hyperlink in the comments and a page opens up with a browser of your choice. However the main thing is If a version of this comes out where you can comment, like others said, I'll definitely buy.

Last edited by ZackMorris; 2012-11-05 at 18:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just rolling out a small update.

* A couple bug fixes.
* App wide support for landscape
* Ability to open links from comments

@Hacker - Ive added the landscape app wide like you wanted. I didnt really think that many people would want that as I think landscape to tend to not be able to see much. I do have a little few changes I want to make to this though. In the future I want to hide the status bar and reduce the height of the header bar when moving to landscape to give more screen real estate. Also hopefully Ive fixed the crashing. I noticed it was due to pressing back multiple times quickly which meant pages were not getting close properly causing the crash.

@keflex - haha I only visit a few subreddits so I know what Im looking for.

@e0x - Im not currently planning on releasing the source code due to the fact that the app could become a paid app. If in the future I do not have time to spend on the app I will release the source code. But honestly what I have done isnt really much and most people could do what Ive done quite easily. Its just really about putting in the time.

@ZackMorris - New update contains the ability to open links from comments. One of the features I had planned to implement

Let me know what bugs you guys come across and any feedback is appreciated.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to articnova For This Useful Post: