Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
Few weeks ago we released a video about PhotoTranslator application running on N900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPdZzMlm3M

Because people were very interested in about getting this application in use, we decided to release an alpha version of the PhotoTranslator.

It's available at extras devel repository, but it's in alpha state now, so we don't guarantee that it would work perfectly. More information about the current release, unimplemented and becoming features can be found from:

http://www.cybercomchannel.com/?p=99

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to zchydem For This Useful Post:
Awesome n900 ftw
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Interesting app just giving it a try now. It is quite a big download but the App is optified so no worries about rootfs.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Interesting app just giving it a try now. It is quite a big download but the App is optified so no worries about rootfs.
Yes, the size is pretty large because the language support. We also needed to remove few languages in order to make package size smaller. Otherwise it would have been nearly 100M

In the future, PhotoTranslator will only contain few default languages, but then it will provide a possibility to download required language packages separately. This way it is up to the user, which languages he/she wants to use.

Thanks for testing PhotoTranslator.

Would it be possible to release tessaract as a separate package so that other applications can use it without needing 2 large copies of the binary and data?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
Originally Posted by dmj726 View Post
Would it be possible to release tessaract as a separate package so that other applications can use it without needing 2 large copies of the binary and data?
I second this idea. The (temporary) solution I use right now is simply to create symlinks so that I can call tesseract from the command line just by typing "tesseract".

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
I love it! As an ex-pat, this will be extremely useful for translating various mail etc that gets sent to us.

I did have to 'fix' a small perms problem:
chmod +x /opt/phototranslator-alpha/tesseract/tesseract

I look forward to future versions (especially if they'll improve the speed!)

Originally Posted by dmj726 View Post
IMHO this must be done to call this software stable. Otherwise it may lead to conflicts with other packages.
Optional languages can be provided as separate packages. Then application-manager gives user ability to select needed languages.
Correct dependencies would guarantee, that tessaract is automatically installed if your application is installed.

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Very cool, again it would be nice to have tesseract and each language pac something separately installable, but I completely understand that it's a massive hassle to to that if all you want to do is release an app that people are desparate to get their hands on.

For me the 'capture a picture' doesn't work, I presume it's just not enabled in the alpha yet?

in any case, nice job, good to see it available
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Martinsicuro, Abruzzo, Italy
Tested with my internal medicine textbook (Harrison's)...The app works great! OCR and translation are almost perfect! Thnx!