Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
this are good news its going forward ;D i hope 1.2 will bring the n9 to a new step i cant install meego as standalone couse i need a full functional Device couse.. i only have this one.

But iam happy to see that the roumors will be ending soon and it seems to be comming for the n900 now.

best regards crown *with new sense of humor*

Last edited by crown77; 2010-03-25 at 08:27.

Originally Posted by byte_76 View Post
Is it safe to say that according to plans, the May release should be much more interesting in terms of GUI design and functionality of MeeGo?
I'd expect the MeeGo 1.0 release to be a lot like current Moblin (2.1). Only UI for netbooks, no UI for handsets. And the UI based on GTK.

I expect MeeGo 1.1 in october to show up an additional UI for handsets based on Qt. And the netbook UI being a mixture of GTK and Qt.

Maybe/hopefully MeeGo 1.1 will additionally have an UI for webPads (10" touchscreens)

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poland
What are your guy's expecting?

This will probably be just a command line version.

I'm expecting NO GUI applications.
Maybe only a few which are easy to port.
This will not be a phone - this will not be a media palyer - this will not be a GPS.
It will be ready to do all those things

Once the base is stable, all the rest will come.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It is very important from a platform development point of view, mildly interesting for application developers (because of the architecture announced, mainly)
Will it be guaranteed to run in a simple VM of some sort?
Will it have Qt ?
Will it have Qt Mobility ?

Answer yes to the first two, and I'm quite happy. Answer yes to all three, and I'm over the moon.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
It would be great to see MeeGo the VM, in the end Atom processor is x86 so it should work on VirtualBox and probably the next 6 months I'll use MeeGo this way.

As for the GUI, it seems to me that something should be accessible enough to be able to run applications that use QtGui. I have a hope

I am pleased with Maemo 5 and with PR1.2 I'll be even more

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Please set your expectations right for next week: nothing beautiful, stable or fully featured wil be released for handsets next week.
Still, exciting times!

Do you know the level of N900 hardware support in this release? Will it have WLAN networking and battery charging at least?

Dual boot will come at some point, or at least it's in the plans. It's clearly convenient for developers. The elegant solution implies patching the current Maemo 5 kernel and it is too late for PR 1.2.
Is that KEXEC support (bug 3745) or am I reading too much into it? :-)

Maybe less elegant solutions are available before
It should be possible to make bootmenu work for now.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I can haaz development environment?

Fedora/Mobling/MeeGo/etc+SDK+MADDE+Qt Creator? Also PySide ?!

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
afaik available at the systems (M5 for maemo and MG1 for MeeGo1.0)
running core to X: M5 MG1
UX: M5
Full Qt4.6: M5-PR1.2 MG1
call/sms: M5
videocall: M5-PR1.2
it is the bare system, just the development core, nothing special nothing new not even old stuff! It is a complete fresh start and you do not need it!

I honestly don't know why everybody is freaking out about it. The first proper release is said to be about 6 Month after MG1.0 not Weeks!

For issues like charging the device or if wifi is working and other hardware stuff wait for it being released and we all will see!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
afaik available at the systems (M5 for maemo and MG1 for MeeGo1.0)
running core to X: M5 MG1
UX: M5
Full Qt4.6: M5-PR1.2 MG1
call/sms: M5
videocall: M5-PR1.2
it is the bare system, just the development core, nothing special nothing new not even old stuff! It is a complete fresh start and you do not need it!

I honestly don't know why everybody is freaking out about it. The first proper release is said to be about 6 Month after MG1.0 not Weeks!

For issues like charging the device or if wifi is working and other hardware stuff wait for it being released and we all will see!
Im with you my friend. Someone posted earlier "oh I cant wait to see the UI!!!" - hold your horses gentlemen, this is only going to be a core, I doubt the producers had the time yet to look in "pretty looking interface ideas". They start at the base - as soon as that works, they'll move on. But what we will see (probably) end of this month is not going to be as shiny and as impressive as many people think! For me, Maemo5 is currently largely sufficient. No complaints!

This forum is going be flooded with posts claiming "meego sucks" by noobs who don't know how to search the Internet to find that this is a barebones developer release.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: