Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Every time I mention the Nokia Internet Tablets — on the web or in conversation — I always describe them as running "a full Debian Linux (modified to be aware of the hardware keys)." I used to say "virtual keyboard and hardware keys" but the N810 obviates that.

This passes the truth-in-advertising test, I think. But it's not one-hundred percent true.

Sure you can take just about any Linux application and compile it so that you get something that runs on a NIT. This screenshot of the particularly idiosyncratic font-creation program Fontforge running on my N810 is proof enough for me.

Even if some apps are slow or not really suited to a tablet, I am generally tempted to say you can do anything on a NIT that you need to do on a computer.

Except you can't print.

Can't print out that email with the address and time of the meeting. Can't print that web page with the neat info. Can't print out the short notes entered on the train coming in to work. Can't print out that sketch of the new design to hand to your wife.

Supporting every printer imaginable — OK, it's not something I want to ask for. I think a "full" Linux ought to, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that's a fool's errand.

It would be nice if some apps could print to a generic inkjet or Postscript device.

See, sometimes I want to surf away from my desk, on the walkaround web.

And sometimes I want to walk around with a piece of paper in my hand.
Read the full article.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Possibly slightly more realistic (I couldn't do it but) would be a pdf printer. Linux has lots of free ones.. print to pdf.. copy pdf to computer.. printout.

The Following User Says Thank You to schmots For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
can't we print from within KDE ?

Er, didn't we add at least 3 (if not 4) packages (we = folks here at ITT) to enable printing from the NITs? During the last few months? Penguinbait made a full bells-and-whistles CUPS package, I added a small LPRNG (BSD LPR New Generation) package, someone else made something else etc. These can all print to a remote printer (what we can't do is to easily add a physical printer directly to the NIT.. I don't think I wish to either..)

Of course, the NIT version of the standard software in OS200[5678] doesn't usually have a 'print' option in their menus, but if you just recompile some desktop application they may, except that:

What we may have to get running on the NITs though is the 'xprint' package, which provides a common method for applications to create printable output (which can then be fed to any of the abovementioned printing applications - they all provide an 'lpr' command).

Description: Xprint - the X11 print system (binary)
Xprint is an advanced printing system which enables X11 applications
to use devices like printers, FAX or create documents in formats like
PostScript, PDF, PCL, etc.
(Without xprint but with only the current printing packages you can still print, if you have the file in a printable format already.)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Possibly slightly more realistic (I couldn't do it but) would be a pdf printer. Linux has lots of free ones.. print to pdf.. copy pdf to computer.. printout.
Not sure how you could choose 'print to pdf' in an app that doesn't have a print command.

So this is at best something that Maemo could implement, I guess.

And I'm not sure if this works any better than emailing the info (or the URI or the file) to your desk/laptop with printing capabilities.

Well, I'll take that back. It would let you do any of the print formatting you needed to do before the transfer, and let the print operation be simply print and not "open a specific app, format, print."

If Maemo offers a print-to-PDF, at least that puts a Print command in our applications and maybe makes the next step easier.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
how do the apple fanboys print from their iPhone and iTouch ?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
First off, the nice thing about a N8x0 is that I don't have to carry a notebook - paper based or Intel based.

Second, you just said you can compile just about anything. So compile and install CUPS.

This is not an avenue that I want Nokia going down.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Er, didn't we add at least 3 (if not 4) packages (we = folks here at ITT) to enable printing from the NITs? During the last few months? Penguinbait made a full bells-and-whistles CUPS package, I added a small LPRNG (BSD LPR New Generation) package, someone else made something else etc. These can all print to a remote printer (what we can't do is to easily add a physical printer directly to the NIT.. I don't think I wish to either..)
This is a better answer than "well, heck, I'll add something now."

I only wish that a two-minute search would turn up this information. (It didn't yesterday.)(The way I search.)

Of course, the NIT version of the standard software in OS200[5678] doesn't usually have a 'print' option in their menus, but if you just recompile some desktop application they may,
May the day come when I make this same statement and have as little concern for my likelihood of the operation's success.

But until that day ...

As for now, I don't know C, don't have a Linux development box, have never re-compiled any source code and have only the slightest notion of what changes would need to be made to make this possible.

except that:

What we may have to get running on the NITs though is the 'xprint' package, which provides a common method for applications to create printable output (which can then be fed to any of the abovementioned printing applications - they all provide an 'lpr' command).

(Without xprint but with only the current printing packages you can still print, if you have the file in a printable format already.)
Well? Doesn't this mean I have shamed you into doing just what you say needs to be done? :-) (And if not you, who then? And if not now, when?)

All kidding aside, having something ported is promising and there clearly needs to be more, imo.

Roger

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
For all furor over printing over the past week or so, I've yet to see an enhancement request for network printing support over at bugzilla. If you really want to bring this to the attention of the people who can make changes, then file the enhancement request and vote on it!

All the jib-jab in the world over here wont get you as far as bugzilla will.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
used furor: +1
used jib-jab (hyphenated, shortened "jibber jabber", presumably): +1
failed to use yammering: -2

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to briand For This Useful Post: