Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
wow all your RAM lol is only about 18MB free.. What is using it? all i see is about 220MB used up by some app you've installed. Normally it should have 100MB free I think, I've read it somewhere that the RAM will be about 100MB left over when boot up. Something that using your RAM is draining your Battery for sure. But which one?

The swap RAM is not show up though.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
You might get some useful information by running this app.

Though it sounds like you know you have a problem: the issue is working out what's causing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
wow all your RAM lol is only about 18MB free.. What is using it? all i see is about 220MB used up by some app you've installed. Normally it should have 100MB free I think, I've read it somewhere that the RAM will be about 100MB left over when boot up. Something that using your RAM is draining your Battery for sure. But which one?

The swap RAM is not show up though.
Don't freak out about the the amount of free memory. The kernel will tend to use most of the memory available as the system runs.The expect stuff will be application code and data pages. The kernel will use the rest for file buffers so it can avoid having to access (abysmally) slow disk (as compared to RAM). The kernel is quite deft at managing RAM. RAM is a very slight battery drain as compared to te CPU running at full speed, or the WIFI or Ceullar radios.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sljonson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by marauder View Post
The "top" command in xterm gives me the following info:
Sort Top by CPU usage by pressing capital "P". What percentage is the greediest process sucking down? The processes will jump back and forth, because the one using the most will change all the time. You should however be able to identify one that is greedier than the rest, if you have a "runaway" process.

You can sort by memory usage by pressing M.

Do you have flash enabled websites open in "background" windows when this occurs?

If you want screenshots, I have a short "tutorial" at my blog (sorry for spamming guys). n900experience.blogspot.com.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post

Password Safe

try get rid of these 3 apps.
Where do you see a problem with Password Safe? How could that possibly be the cause of battery drain?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
...I have a short "tutorial" at my blog (sorry for spamming guys).
The people who post links to worthless spam, those people never apologise.

And the people like jaysire who post links to their genuine original relevant content, those people feel they need to apologise.

The world is the wrong way round!

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Same problem here, and same battery life (about 4.5 hrs).

I think it is something related to wifi, but need more investigation.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by quark View Post
Same problem here, and same battery life (about 4.5 hrs).

I think it is something related to wifi, but need more investigation.
If the problem goes away when switching off WiFi, then it's most likely that the WiFi router doesn't support power management (or doesn't have it enabled).

I have the following:

Recorder
Hermes
Quik
Bounce
Sheet to go
Slideshow To Go
Word To Go
Mauku
iNES
VGB
VGBA
eCoach
Gonvert
ATI85
Mirror
FM Radio
MasterGear
Xournal
Location Test
Crash Reporter

On Desktop, there are the following that needs Web connection:
Facebook widget
RSS widget

I have the device for the 4th day now.
1st day 18 hours of usage - a lot of mocking about, installing different apps and setting up stuff, merging contacts and some running some GPS tests
2nd day 24 hours of usage
3rd day 24 hours of usage

I can easily last a day without needing a charge on medium usage.
My device is always hooked to the Web either by Wifi at home or 3G when I'm on the road.

I have a habit of closing running apps that I don't need. I never have more than 3 apps running simultaneously in standby.

My device is UK CV running 1.2009.42-11.203.2

As for the Wifi router, I'm using the O2 Wireless Box III router which is essentially the Thomson TG585N

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-30 at 01:08.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Virginia
Not sure what kind of case you are using if any but my case was causing serious battery issues for me. It has a magnet to keep the lid shut on it and the phone will unlock and light the screen when it gets near it. Killed the battery very quick. Guess the camera shutter or something uses a magnetic switch?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbrindle For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor