Notices

Originally Posted by paour View Post
Btw, explicit support for Opera would be great :-).
Ask and ye shall receive?

I'm pleased to announce Browser Switchboard releases 3.2-2 (stable, for Diablo) and 3.2-2fremantle1 (beta, for Fremantle). Packages are now available in extras-devel and on the Garage download page.

Changes in this release:
  • Add explicit support for Opera Mobile to browser-switchboard and the configuration UI -- setting the default browser to "Other" and the command to "opera %s" is no longer necessary.
  • [Fremantle] Remove the control panel's cached screenshot of itself on package deletion to work around https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9512. Thanks to David Barnett, Jayboy5, and jukey for reporting, and qwerty12 for the suggested fix.
  • [Fremantle] Don't crash on PR1.2 devices. Thanks to everyone who reported, especially jukey and ffarber for the debugging information.

For more information on the changes in this release, see the changelogs for the packages (Diablo, Fremantle); for excruciating detail, see the revision history in Git.

I expect to push the Diablo package into extras in a day or two, if no one reports problems. (It'd be nice to push the updated Fremantle package into extras-testing, since the existing one won't work on PR1.2, but it presumably won't pass QA and I don't want to waste tester time. Suggestions?)

Things coming up in 3.3:
  • Provide a command-line tool for configuring Browser Switchboard which can be used by browser developers to set their browser as the default. (This landed a few days ago -- see the commit message for more information -- but isn't by any means set in stone -- comments invited. I may cut a 3.3 beta 1 with just this included, since I may not have time to continue work on this project for a while.)
  • [Fremantle] Further improvements to the MicroB launching process -- the goal is to get to the point where the user experience when MicroB is selected as the default browser is identical to that when Browser Switchboard isn't installed.
  • Do something intelligent when the user's configured browser isn't installed.
  • In the UI, don't let the user configure a browser that's not installed.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
i have fennec, opera, and chromium installed but i only really use microb.
Hm, I wasn't aware that we had Chromium on Maemo before I saw this ...

Out of curiosity, does setting the default browser to "Other" and the command to "/opt/chromium/chrome %s" work for making Chromium the default browser? If so, support should be really easy to add to Browser Switchboard.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
steven676- Thanks the new version is great. it seems like Opera launches faster if it is configured specifically, is that possible?
Fred

Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
steven676- Thanks the new version is great. it seems like Opera launches faster if it is configured specifically, is that possible?
Fred
Not really -- the code path and mechanism is exactly the same as it would be if you had configured Opera to launch by setting the default browser to "Other" and the command to "opera %s". Unless you're bored enough to produce benchmarks, I'd chalk it up to placebo effect.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Not really -- the code path and mechanism is exactly the same as it would be if you had configured Opera to launch by setting the default browser to "Other" and the command to "opera %s". Unless you're bored enough to produce benchmarks, I'd chalk it up to placebo effect.
Agreed- I started a five week motorcycle tour of the US yesterday so have other things to focus on

I've now promoted the Diablo packages for Browser Switchboard 3.2-2 to extras. Still not sure about what should be done about the Fremantle extras-devel/extras-testing situation, though.

I'm pleased to announce Browser Switchboard development release 3.3b1 for Diablo and Fremantle. Packages are now available in extras-devel and on the Garage download page.

This is a development release designed to get new code into circulation; it's not received the usual level of testing and may be buggy.

Changes in this release:
  • Provide a command-line tool for configuring Browser Switchboard which can be used by browser developers to set their browser as the default. See the commit message for more information. This interface isn't set in stone, so if you have comments, please let me know.
  • Fall back to MicroB instead of silently failing if the configured default browser is not installed.
  • Rename the MicroB option in the control panel to "MicroB (stock browser)", as some have pointed out that the MicroB name isn't used anywhere and is therefore not familiar to many users. Better wording suggestions are welcome.
  • A significant rewrite of the configuration system. (If anything, this is where the new bugs will be ...)

Remaining things to deal with before 3.3:
  • [Fremantle] Further improvements to the MicroB launching process -- the goal is to get to the point where the user experience when MicroB is selected as the default browser is identical to that when Browser Switchboard isn't installed. (Completely untested code implementing most of the ideas lives in the fremantle-microb-improvements branch in Git, if anyone wants to look at it.)

I can't promise a timeframe on any of this -- it could be a while before I have time to return to this project.

Potential features post-3.3:
  • Offer an interface for browser developers to tell Browser Switchboard how to launch their browsers, so that they don't have to wait for me to add support to the code.

The Following User Says Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
I'm pleased to announce Browser Switchboard development release 3.3b1 for Diablo and Fremantle. Packages are now available in extras-devel and on the Garage download page.

This is a development release designed to get new code into circulation; it's not received the usual level of testing and may be buggy.
I played around a bit on my N900 and everything seems to work as expected. I tested Fennec/Firefox as alternative Browser and also switched back to microb as default browser.

Remaining things to deal with before 3.3:
  • [Fremantle] Further improvements to the MicroB launching process -- the goal is to get to the point where the user experience when MicroB is selected as the default browser is identical to that when Browser Switchboard isn't installed. (Completely untested code implementing most of the ideas lives in the fremantle-microb-improvements branch in Git, if anyone wants to look at it.)

I can't promise a timeframe on any of this -- it could be a while before I have time to return to this project.
Regarding the "microb as default browser does not feel like without installed browser switchboard" problematic: Do you think it would be possible to implement it in a way that choosing "microb" as default browser will do exactly the same as the uninstall process would do but without removing the browser switchboard menu in the settings?
Even without solving this problem browser-switchboard is one of the most useful pieces of software for maemo!

Ciao Uwe

Me on twitter

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
Regarding the "microb as default browser does not feel like without installed browser switchboard" problematic: Do you think it would be possible to implement it in a way that choosing "microb" as default browser will do exactly the same as the uninstall process would do but without removing the browser switchboard menu in the settings?
It's possible, but somewhat complex and a bit tricky to do safely; I kicked around this idea for a while before deciding to go another route.

We'd need to gain root privileges, then change /usr/bin/browser and /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.osso_browser.service (we'd need some symlink magic, since otherwise a device crash here would leave things in a broken state), then start or stop MicroB's background browser process as appropriate. I'm also not clear as to how we'd handle upgrades from previous versions, and I'm keen to avoid another flag day (like the browser-proxy -> browser-switchboard transition).

The Following User Says Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
I have successfully used the browser switchboard now for several month on my N900. For some reason I have uninstalled and re-installed it, but I have experienced the following troubles:

After the uninstallation my MicroB desktop shortcut had disappeared, too.

After the re-installation from extras-devel the widget didn't appear in the status aerea. Rebooting maemo didn't help. Opera mobile now is still my default browser as before the uninstallation, and I'm unable to change that setting.

Any help?

Tags
browser, default, microb, opera