Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Another question:
Although I've already pledged. There is one thing which I am a little bit afraid of. If I have all the time a TOH on my phone with strong magnets, aren't there any impacts to expect for the compass.

I don't mean with attached TOHKBD. That the compass can't work correctly, with these magnets around is quit clear. But I fear a little bit, that there will be eventually some parts inside which get magnetised and will irritate the compass even without THOKBD attached.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
There is one thing which I am a little bit afraid of. If I have all the time a TOH on my phone with strong magnets, aren't there any impacts to expect for the compass.

I don't mean with attached TOHKBD. That the compass can't work correctly, with these magnets around is quit clear. But I fear a little bit, that there will be eventually some parts inside which get magnetised and will irritate the compass even without THOKBD attached.
I might be wrong but I think the internal compass in smartphones is usually not of the magnetic type, it is rather an inertial compass device. Inertial compass is not sensitive to metallic or magnetic objects nearby.

Why I suspect that; I have tried moving powerful magnets around Jolla and that did not affect the compass reading.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I might be wrong but I think the internal compass in smartphones is usually not of the magnetic type, it is rather an inertial compass device. Inertial compass is not sensitive to metallic or magnetic objects nearby.

Why I suspect that; I have tried moving powerful magnets around Jolla and that did not affect the compass reading.
Actually, you usually have both - you have mechanical accelerometers (they measure rate of acceleration and its direction) and sometimes also gyroscopes (they measure the rate & direction of rotation) but you also have the magnetic compass that measures orientation in a magnetic field. It is right that you can go an inertial compass with the help of the two above mentioned sensors, but it would accumulate errors over time and would require periodic calibration from an outside source ("north is this way!" to work correctly).

On the other hand, some compass using applications tell you to rotate the device a few times before use to improve compass accuracy. So my theory is that the compass probably measures magnetic field changes and not absolute values, so strong magnets in a constant distance from the sensors might be be an issue as long the sensor can pick up the magnetic filed changes when the device rotates.

But that's just my guess - a more detailed analysis from someone with actual relevant engineering background would be welcome!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
If everyone is okay with this, no biggie
It's ok for one(me). You only have to convince the remaining 677 backers.

Btw. 12.000 left to epic number of 100.000. How is that "yeah-100K-promotion-movie-or-Other-cool-info" coming along ?

Read it as: will you have a 100K parade.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-05 at 19:27.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Btw. 12.000 left to epic number of 100.000. How is that "yeah-100K-promotion-movie-or-Other-cool-info" coming along ?
It's slowing down though, so I think he'll have most of tomorrow to prepare.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by evk View Post
It's slowing down though, so I think he'll have most of tomorrow to prepare.
On the other hand, it is slowing down because there are no stretch goals

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The question is how people would react IF it after 10 days arrives new cheaper perks?

10000 to go...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-05 at 21:52.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
colours are not determined by us, this is just all that is possible
Just for clarification, does the situation with colours stay the same even if you get enough backers & money to do injection molding? I have to use all the straws, even the last one...

(btw I can't add "kickstarter" tag to this thread as it complains my limit is already full, I think that tag is relevant and could be of some use to some)

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
The question is how people would react IF it after 10 days arrives new cheaper perks?

10000 to go...
http://www.greatrun.org/App_files/Im...-Brad10000.jpg
I am not suggesting any cheaper perks (that wouldn't make sense), but some evaluation of options (injection molding technique) is reasonable. Of course, I am against adding unnecessary stretch goals just for the sake of adding them, but here is my reasoning for the 'the earlier stretch goals come, the better' approach:
TOHKBD is not a common KS project. Only a narrow group (Jolla owners) can buy it and those have probably already bought it. Then there's the second group of potential Jolla buyers, but those can notice the project only in the first days, when it is featured on KS (or if there's some additional media coverage, but I haven't seen much of it yet).
Therefore if you add stretch goals after 10 days or so, there is a little target audience (it might be late already).

On the other hand, I can see that Dirk might not really need to boost the number of buyers - the goal has been reached and if not some substantial outsourcing is planned, more buyers means later delivery.

I still think some 'Thank you, we have reached the goal!' update should've happened, though (as is the habit on KS).

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-11-06 at 12:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
@nodevel: Not sure about other media, but Dutch tech site Tweakers.net mentioned the project on KS in a dedicated article 2 days ago: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/99447/ned...ckstarter.html (automatic translation: https://translate.google.nl/translat...-text=&act=url)

And FYI, Tweakers.net is a big tech site in The Netherlands so...

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd