Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I don't know if anyone knows this. I am going to post it anyway. If it is already known, please delete this post.

Please note I tested this with my brother's iphone 3gs and my old N95 8GB. Before, the iphone beat the N900 with speed by a little bit, but N900 beat the iphone with content. The N95 was in the middle in both tests. After this, the N900 loaded the page a lot faster than both phones..and it loaded the full page.

However please note that your battery will be drained a lot quicker. And I mean it.

These are ten very short steps. I could have shrunk the instructions to 3 steps,,but better keep it simple.

Step 1: Connect to any Wi-Fi network.
Step 2: Go to Menu > Settings > Internet Connections
Step 3: Click on Connections
Step 4: Select your Wi-Fi network
Step 5: Click on Edit
Step 6: Press Next twice (until it is idsabled)
Step 7: Click on Advanced
Step 8: Go to the 'Other' tab
Step 9: Click on 'Power Saving' and select Off. It will warn you that you will be charging more frequently if you do this.
Step 10: Try Browsing again .

You have to repeat this process with every one of your wi-fi connections. The battery will be drained quicker know..but it is so much faster! It could easily compare to the speeds that my PC is able to reach. I like it this way..so what if I have to buy a spare battery?

If you like this post I don't require thanks..but please give me some e-book names on how to learn more about linux, maemo, and how to develop for it. I really would like how to port applications. I have a background in programming (Java and VB (beginner)), but I always was good at editing existing code, rather than creating. I want to know more about how to use my N900. Thanks

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
If you like this post I don't require thanks..but please give me some e-book names on how to learn more about linux, maemo, and how to develop for it. I really would like how to port applications. I have a background in programming (Java and VB (beginner)), but I always was good at editing existing code, rather than creating. I want to know more about how to use my N900. Thanks
can't help you with e-books, but I have tried to blog a certain amount of information about my adventures in developing for maemo with python.
start with:
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/201...t-environment/

I have written a few posts taged with maemo, that cover some python tasks, complete source for the first version of witter as an example of just getting something off the ground which does more than just hello world.
It was my hope that in blogging such things, others might have an easier time developing their own apps.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vienna
I wouldn't recommend doing this, since it will drain your battery like mad should you stay connected to a wlan for a longer period of time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostface For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich or Luxembourg
for me it doesn't make a big difference.
Most of loading time is needed by the CPU to render the page, so faster WLAN doen't change a lot.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
pantera1989

A "brainstorm" for an app to automatically change power saving to off when the N900 is plugged into a charger would be great.

Or even a power saving on/off desktop widget?

Last edited by Duffer; 2010-02-22 at 10:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Duffer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
No need for a brainstorm ... Just use Shepherd, is it get in a usable state...

This would be a textbook example : generated event: plugging in the charger -surely there is a Dbus message generated that can be picked up by Shepherd-

and the resulting action will either be a one-liner Dbus command (or a simple script for multiple Wifi connections ones).

We just need Shepherd and a smart person to provide the generic Dbus command string

my 2 cents ...

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
I don't know if anyone knows this. I am going to post it anyway. If it is already known, please delete this post.

Please note I tested this with my brother's iphone 3gs and my old N95 8GB. Before, the iphone beat the N900 with speed by a little bit, but N900 beat the iphone with content. The N95 was in the middle in both tests. After this, the N900 loaded the page a lot faster than both phones..and it loaded the full page.

However please note that your battery will be drained a lot quicker. And I mean it.

These are ten very short steps. I could have shrunk the instructions to 3 steps,,but better keep it simple.

Step 1: Connect to any Wi-Fi network.
Step 2: Go to Menu > Settings > Internet Connections
Step 3: Click on Connections
Step 4: Select your Wi-Fi network
Step 5: Click on Edit
Step 6: Press Next twice (until it is idsabled)
Step 7: Click on Advanced
Step 8: Go to the 'Other' tab
Step 9: Click on 'Power Saving' and select Off. It will warn you that you will be charging more frequently if you do this.
Step 10: Try Browsing again .

You have to repeat this process with every one of your wi-fi connections. The battery will be drained quicker know..but it is so much faster! It could easily compare to the speeds that my PC is able to reach. I like it this way..so what if I have to buy a spare battery?

sounds good to me man. will give it a try.
your name makes me wanna listen to cowboys from hell. gotta love a bit of pantera

by the way, i would recommend learning c++. its a very very powerful language. there a billions of tutorials on the web, just run a google search and you'll find all you need to get started easily.

Note that in normal circumstances you shouldn't have to do that unless there is a bug in either the access point or N900 (there are a few reports in bugzilla but nothing confirmed so far).

You have to repeat this process with every one of your wi-fi connections.
Not really (it's a global setting but placed in a very misleading place in the GUI).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
pantera1989

A "brainstorm" for an app to automatically change power saving to off when the N900 is plugged into a charger would be great.

Or even a power saving on/off desktop widget?
Yeah that is true. What I did was install a widget that disables WLAN. I disable WLAN everytime I quit browsing. The thing is let's face it..the N900 battery was never that good. It would still never really last you a whole day. Disabling power saving will make it last even less..but the inconvenience of charging often remains there all the same.

So I prefer having fast internet, because charging is mandatory either ways. But you must be careful to switch WLAN off each time. There is an applet that puts a shirtcut in that menu where the battery icon is ( forgot what it's called). I found that quite good. I can control Wi-Fi easily from there.

there is an app called auto-disconnect, that would be a good idea except that it often disconnects me while browsing so I disabled it.

About developing, I tried C++ but I found it very complex. I know it's one of the best languages, since it is closer to machine code but..I still have a lot to learn. I will try python though.