Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Hi guys,
Apologies if this is actually covering things mentioned in the huge threads of N900 past and shipping etc, but when searching around, I can't find much info in one place.

As a previous N900 owner, who then realised I had a faulty Mic, I've had to send mine to the Nokia Freepost repair place as Nokia care assured me I'd have no chance of a replacement before 3 months had passed - but they did mention 7 days to repair it! Now I don't hold out much hope for that, but I'd like to know what has happened with the other people here that have had to find replacements or send to Nokia for repair?

I know some of you have been lucky and could go straight back to the likes of Amazon etc, but now I see the failure point with Nokia and the short supply kicking in.

So, those that have been through this, can you say what your fault was, if you've sent it for repair / replacement and if you've been lucky enough to hear anything or actually get your device back?

Plus a final good luck to the people that are either still waiting for their device the forst time around, or are seeking a repair or replacement at the moment!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
yes mic problem with my phone too...got n900 friday and went to service monday.and something wrong with the bluetooth connection too...finland n900 owner(played it for 2hrs then omg the mic dont work)

I hope you hear something soon teletappi!
There probably aren't enough of us about to know the kindof turnaround we could expect from this!

After making my post, I forgot to put the details about my issue. I received mine on Friday 27th November, but after waiting on calls from Nokia etc, I couldn't get around to sending it off until 2nd Dec - and so far, they are yet to receive it - which is also worrying - but I'm hoping it just means they've not got around to inputting the details into their computer! I'll give them a call for an update tomorrow.

I also read in some threads that people are awaiting parts for repairs, but when searching the thread, I can only find second hand information about it.

Doesn't look like many others have sent their device off for repair or replacement then - well and been around to see this thread at least.

Anyway, I thought I'd update to say I can now confirm my device was received ok and is currently with an engineer! Though that doesn't really mean much as they couldn't confirm anything else or a potential turnaround etc.

Fingers crossed that I will hear something positive soon. Again, all the best to everyone in the same situation, I hope your devices are returned safely home! & working!

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Mine had a broken microphone, tried flashing etc.

Shaun at Nokia UK(Finland??) seemed to think it would be 5 days for repair? (Yeah right!)

I was not really offered a RMA just repair, I don't know what my legal rights are here?

Anyway I dropped mine into a jiffy bag and sent to somewhere in Thetford UK.

Yup, that sounds the same as me - mine is in that Thetford place as we speak - I gave them a call earlier and they gave me the basic update after I gave them my IMEI number.

I was offered the replacement (by Nokia care) but only at a minimum 3 month wait. Now legally, the consumer rights stuff states how the manufacturer/supplier has a 'reasonable' amount of time to either replace or repair goods. I thought that a 3 month wait was definitely not reasonable, but when they said a 7 day turnaround for repairs - I suppose that is closer to reasonable, so didn't think I could complain much.

As to what happens when we don't hear anything back - I'm not sure.
I assume they will gladly give us a refund - but that doesn't quite help us. I don't know where that fits into legality issues as they may be classed as doing all they can. It is definitely a pain!

How long ago did yours go in the post? Have you attempted to get an update? I'm always reluctant to annoy these people when I need them to sort things out. Though I must admit the guy I spoke to was good and refreshing - he couldn't give much info, but at least he knew what I was talking about.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
I received my N900 on Thursday. I had a play around with it over the w/e to decide if I wanted to keep it So only sent it yesterday. Sad to see it go... I guess if it comes back fixed with no visible marks etc I'll be happy enough...

Ooh yeah - visible marks... that's my other fear - if only this could all be really straight forward. I knew I shouldn't have looked up things on the web about the repairs, but you see all sorts of stories, from brand new phones coming back unrepaired due to water damage - through to extra screws in the bag or scratches on the screen etc.

I hope I've not just scared you more, but there definitely seems to be a few hurdles to pass before I'm happy that it's done and dusted!

The one saving grace I can think of is that because it is our device that is getting repaired - we at least know that (having been repaired correctly) iit should work when we get it - whereas a brand new replacement could easily have another mic problem - DOA - screen broken - or any of the other issues we've heard of! That's what I keep thinking to myself anyway!

Then I just need to be home to get the thing when it does come back!

Sorry for bumping this, but I thought I'd let people know that I'm still waiting on the repair - they can't give me any news other than it is with an engineer - and has been since the 8th December. They now say it will be 8 - 10 days, but seeing as I've heard 5 days, 7 days and now 8 - 10, it may well go on indefinitely. Though hopefully I'm just being impatient - which is hopefully fair enough after a pre-order from Nokia.

Has anyone else had to send theirs off yet? Any updates on timeframe etc?
Duffer, any news on yours? Though if things are equal, yours is probably on a desk next to mine, waiting for the engineer to pick it up.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
How about the 3rd option of getting your money back and buying it from a third person?