Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Can not really compare to N900. N900 has phone function- different device intentions.

A agree about the keyboard, in spite of Nokia's rationale, the KB seems lacking.
This Dell has a phone function too.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Registering touch = slightly harder press != usability
again, YOUR defnition.
i could just as easy say "inacurate touch capture != usability".

it's a matter of opinion!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
It would have been perfect as a Tablet, wait where is the stylus, you mean I cant write on it!!

Mike C

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Problem is, the n900 keyboard is not looking too hot either, from a n810 keyboard perspective.
n810 keyboard is so good that ...i bought n800...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
To all those who are still debating capacitive versus resistive screens - you're wrong.

The ideal screen uses an active digitizer. It is more accurate than a resistive screen ever will be. It does not register false positive touches from your hand. It is ideal for handwriting and annotation (with or without handwriting recognition). The major argument for a hard touch resistive screen is that it is a poor man's active digitizer.

However, the ideal screen will also recognize touch, especially in an always on device like a phone. Either a capacitive screen or a light touch resistive screen can provide this. The capacitive screen is better in that it will only recognize fingers. The resistive screen is better in that it does not only recognize fingers. I'd give it to capacitive by an edge based on the fact that the screen itself can be made more scratch resistant.

Therefore what is needed is a combination of active digitizer and touch which shuts down the touch function when the stylus nears the screen.

For one of the best dual option screens, see Fujitsu's 4410. Now just shrink that down to the size of the N900's screenette and you all can end the argument. Realistically, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the N910 as the last experiment before the last step N1000.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You never used the N800?

Pity. It doesn't need a keyboard.
I do have the n800 and for most day to day operations you don't need the keyboard. But when you are working with a huge amount of text.. let's say a paragraph, then it soon becomes inadequate. Heck just look at the screens of the Dell using the soft keyboard, the keyboard takes up half the screen. Imagine if you needed to move up and down to edit the text or anything.

@DaveP1

Yes the ideal is something that does both, not just resistive or capacitative. But I think there's only one company that has a working prototype of something that does both (I wanna say Palm) for a mobile device. It'll take a while for that technology to be affordable for inclusion of most devices.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
active digitizer
Oh no...

And also, you're forgetting the "hands with gloves" part.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Me. If it has a usable on screen keyboard this device could work as a computer and is not too big to pocket. To my mind, the N900, while it has a real keyboard (which I prefer), has a screen that is just too small to work as a computer for long.

There's a bit more information in the SlashGear post:

http://www.slashgear.com/dell-streak...leaks-2161220/
Fair enough.

And for the record, I've never had issue with the N800's size, but in the context of a tablet. But I think we've endured enough of that semantics battle here.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I do have the n800 and for most day to day operations you don't need the keyboard. But when you are working with a huge amount of text.. let's say a paragraph, then it soon becomes inadequate. Heck just look at the screens of the Dell using the soft keyboard, the keyboard takes up half the screen. Imagine if you needed to move up and down to edit the text or anything.
Allow me to qualify my remark then: it doesn't need an integrated keyboard IMO.

If I'm doing work that requires "huge amounts of text", then odds are I won't use a tablet or "mobile computer" for that anyway. But different strokes, etc.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Are you sure?

Just imagine your phone telling that girl-in-the-short-skirt-over-there's phone what's on your mind............
My thought commands, not my thoughts.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?