Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Sorry, I thought my first post was clear.

In short, this thread is about creating a Hacker/Community edition for the N900 of the OS and apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo.
Just a side note:

There were plans about making Maemo 5 available for the N8x0.
They said that Maemo 5 needs graphics acceleration, and the N8x0 don't have that.

Okay, so the task would have been to "dumb down" Maemo 5 to make it work without that.
Instead, the community created all sorts of weird things (like Mer, the purpose of which I still don't understand), and none of it actually became usable or stable on an N8x0.

Will it be any different this time?

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-05-25 at 12:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Am I the only one that sees that comment as Nokia withdrawing official support to the N900. If Meego ain't coming to the N900 and Maemo is being stopped. Not much of a future without the community. Without Nokia supporting it, they won't continue to sell it or make it and the community shrinks.

Not that I am surprised, I have said as much elsewhere that 1.2 would be pretty much it for the N900. Not shocked but still appalled.

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
...this thread is about creating a Hacker/Community edition for the N900 of the OS and apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo.
This is the most encouraging news I've had all day and I'm still playing with PR1.2...

I have just posted elsewhere that Nokia should turn Maemo 5 over to the community now; It's entirely understandable that Nokia don't want to develop a one-model OS any further. This proposal offers even more potential and will extend the effective life of the N900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Am I the only one that sees that comment as Nokia withdrawing official support to the N900. If Meego ain't coming to the N900 and Maemo is being stopped. Not much of a future without the community. Without Nokia supporting it, they won't continue to sell it or make it and the community shrinks.

Not that I am surprised, I have said as much elsewhere that 1.2 would be pretty much it for the N900. Not shocked but still appalled.
No what I see is a business decision been made and Quim saying there will be cooperation from Nokia in probably getting a feature complete Meego release for the N900 as long as the community spearheads the effort.

edit: also known as this is GREAT news!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Hi, PR1.2 for Maemo 5 has been announced at http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...e-release-1-2/

The announcement also contains this information:

In other words, the MeeGo based release from Nokia will not be officially supported in the N900. But if you have an engineering mindset and you are interested in exploring what can be technically achieved by the community, please be active in this thread.

Carsten, the maemo.org distmaster, is in the best position to coordinate this effort. He has all the Mer experience and he is working in the open project to provide an N900 hardware adaptation for the MeeGo OS. He is also used to collaborate with members of the MeeGo Devices team at Nokia like Tero Kojo or myself, who will pay attention to the progress of this effort.

One of the main factors to be considered in this initiative is the key role of Qt, a key layer in the MeeGo architecture and a very useful bridge across platforms and releases. Qt 4.6 is now officially supported in Maemo 5 and Qt 4.7 is already in extras-devel. This is a very good indicator of the possibilities Qt based apps have beyond Maemo 5, into MeeGo and also the upcoming Symbian releases.
[b]The important factor Nokia is not considering is its customers... just this little detail.... just a bunch of crap the excuse of not supporting it... Maemo 5 was killed in just about 6 months, faster than Windows Vista!! Just lame... be sure you lost a lot of customers with that move!!![/b}

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to russo_br For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 319 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Barcelona, Spain
Sorry, I thought my first post was clear.

In short, this thread is about creating a Hacker/Community edition for the N900 of the OS and apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo.
I must confess my head is spinning now with all this MeeGo stuff...

Correct me if I'm wrong, the meego we're talking here is actually Harmattan, which is just a rebranded maemo 6 and has little to do with the full blown meego from meego project discussed here.
So, theoretically at some point we will be able to run on our N900 either:

-Good old Maemo 5.

-Meego 1.0, with the N900 hw adaptation done by the meego project + reference handset UX + reference handset apps.

-Harmattan, with all adaptation effort done by the community + official Nokia apps.

Am I getting this right or there's something I missed?

Last edited by javicq; 2010-05-25 at 13:22. Reason: Typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javicq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
Originally Posted by Hynkel View Post
So things like phone, messaging, media player, the nokia versions, will be open source? Are there any plans to open source the maemo versions of these apps once Meego is released?
Everything in MeeGo will be open source unlike Maemo. Only things that are closed source are some drivers(like GPU) and Nokia applications(like Ovi Maps). At least this is what I get from comments of developers

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Optln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
The important factor Nokia is not considering is its customers... just this little detail.... just a bunch of crap the excuse of not supporting it... Maemo 5 was killed in just about 6 months, faster than Windows Vista!! Just lame... be sure you lost a lot of customers with that move!!!
Could you please tune me on same frequenzy as you are?

First of all Vista was released in 2006 and is still getting support. Mainstream support probably ends soon (or has it) but security updates keep coming for quite long so what the H are you blabbering? Secondly they have not killed Maemo 5. As one of Nokia employees said n900 will get official 1.3 update also: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=561617&postcount=4

Meego will be provided as community version where stskeeps probably has his own hands deep. Qt will provide that probably most of programs coded on that platform will be usable on meego devices as on N8 and N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Hynkel View Post
So things like phone, messaging, media player, the nokia versions, will be open source? Are there any plans to open source the maemo versions of these apps once Meego is released?
The work here is not about opening software but about integrating open and closed components in order to provide a user experience and feature set as close as possible to the one offered by Nokia in its first MeeGo based device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Does anyone see WRT playing a role here? Or is the current thinking that a MeeGo hacker edition for the n900 would not use WRT as a main component?
Of course, Web Runtime should have here the same role as in the original release from Nokia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego