Notices

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
I kind of agree with Dread on this.

If we could get a repo that would be great.

It's a real hassle to re-encode all my movies/anime to force subtitles as the built-in media player doesn't allow for subtitle loading. Which doesn't matter to me (speak Japanese) but my GF would greatly appreciate it.

Is there currently any media players outside of the Nokia built-in one in repo form? VLC? MPlayer? I didn't see anything in extras, I didn't check developer as I don't feel comfortable with my N900 yet. Desktop sure np, $400 device which is still "iffy" no thanks.

MPlayer is in extras-devel and is optified. I don't know the status of the simple mplayer frontend, or kmplayer, whether theyre optified or not. MPlayer by itself has no friendly user interface to start it with.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
MPlayer is in extras-devel and is optified. I don't know the status of the simple mplayer frontend, or kmplayer, whether theyre optified or not. MPlayer by itself has no friendly user interface to start it with.
The defaults are usually ok. I usually start it from the shell.

mplayer movie.avi -ao alsa

I have watched a few movies with this and seems to run fine. If there is a problem the output usually give you an idea what is wrong.

Mplayer is much better than the default media player.

E.g. I was watching as episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" with the defualt Nokia media player and it was consistantly and visibly dropping frames. Tried it with Mplayer and playback was silky smooth.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I use mplayer (out of habit) more than just about anything else on the N900. Thank you all so much, and especially Sampo for being 'The Man'!

I hope Siarhei (ssvb) is munching happily on some green pasture.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:

Tags
mafw, mediabox, mplayer, mytube