Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
There's no such thing as a NFC keyboard. Even if you could stay in range with the device, there's no protocol for such a device to use. NFC is for burst transmission and not for persistent device connectivity.

This device clearly just uses NFC to pair a bluetooth connection, which a common useage much like Nokia's own bluetooth speakers.

And since the N9 doesn't support bluetooth keyboard connections yet, this device is not a smart buy for an N9 owner.
You must realise that if it was bluetooth, then it would require charging after 10 or so hours of use?

Also you said yourself NFC provides burst transmission, meaning that each keystroke can be a burst of data, meaning hardly any battery usage, and phone is CONSTANTLY in contact with the keyboard seeing as the design has the phone resting on the flat surface in the middle

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
You must realise that if it was bluetooth, then it would require charging after 10 or so hours of use?
What I said. But I confess I don't know nearly enough about NFC to say whether a keyboard would be possible. I have noticed that there is quite a delay when reading cards with the N9 - even a fraction of that delay would be a show stopper for a keyboard...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I suppose there's no harm in me quoting their email:
Meh too vague, but thanks...
I may try asking them again later, if the site ever comes back up!

There's no such thing as a NFC keyboard. Even if you could stay in range with the device, there's no protocol for such a device to use. NFC is for burst transmission and not for persistent device connectivity<SNIP>
See the 1st several posts. Also godofwar raises some further good points.
Admittedly I know little about NFC, so this may well be pure vapor.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-23 at 21:42.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
You stand corrected:
wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/12/broadcom-offers-10-year-battery-life-for-bluetooth-keyboards/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Ugh.......
So this depends on if we ever get the BT4 we were promised earlier on & all the signs were pointing to.*
I spoke to someone about that recently, & he couldn't tell me much except:

BT4 is almost done, but not production level. You should raise a ticket about it to bugzilla. That it was promised.
The part missing from BT4 stack (the uncomplete part) is BT LE (Low Energy)...
It's really interesting for lot of accessory cases, but those are still so new that ordinary user would not be benefitting from those much within a year or so.
May be the reason why it hasn't been perfectly completed yet....
I guess the only way to know for sure, is to ask One2Touch to explain how it works.
We should be able to pick up ******** pretty quickly....

*was in doco/specs all over the place, & some personnel in Australia felt it was coming w/1.1

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-28 at 07:42.

It is purely NFC. Just check out the patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=B3C...ed=0CDcQ6AEwAQ
(Search word "External Keyboard" & Aasen).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to invent For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
What I said. But I confess I don't know nearly enough about NFC to say whether a keyboard would be possible. I have noticed that there is quite a delay when reading cards with the N9 - even a fraction of that delay would be a show stopper for a keyboard...
But that delay seems to be for the initial communication, I reckon once the initial connection is made, the N9 will stay active for a second or two to see for any further connections.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
There's no such thing as a NFC keyboard
You stand corrected
And there you are. Standing. Corrected.

Well it could still remain vaporware

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by invent View Post
It is purely NFC. Just check out the patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=B3C...ed=0CDcQ6AEwAQ
(Search word "External Keyboard" & Aasen).
As facinating as this NFC keyboard sounds.....

Antigravity craft slips past patent officers :
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...l/438139a.html

Basically, release a product or it doesn't exist.