Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
I've got a bid in on a N800 on eBay, and for the last day and a half I'm getting spam messages on another email address than the one I use on eBay from some putz who asserts that he/she is the seller and I should make a private deal with the putz in question. I've reported this dreckbissel to ebay.ca, but the spam is continuing.

If this is anybody who reads here, know this: I won't buy a used horseshoe from you now.

Ebay triggers a lot of SPAM from fruit & nut cases. You need to install some basic anti-SPAM software (such as Mailwasher if you are running XP) - this offers you the chance to blacklist the bastards or even bounce unwanted email back to them. It has now reduced my crap to ONE useless email per day.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but tell me is a used horseshoe an upgrade from an N800? :-D

It's a downgrade from my SL-C860 Zaurus.

Originally Posted by Nutz View Post
Ebay triggers a lot of SPAM from fruit & nut cases. You need to install some basic anti-SPAM software (such as Mailwasher if you are running XP) - this offers you the chance to blacklist the bastards or even bounce unwanted email back to them. It has now reduced my crap to ONE useless email per day.

I do run PopPeeper, but I'm mad as heck at this. I haven't got such stuff since the time I bought online a copy of the Win98SE upgrade disk.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
The problem with eBay is that it is a necessary evil.

It has grown so big that simple people are small fry to them. I too have experienced enough spam email from butt fissures who try to convince me that I should pay up for something that I never bid on or something that they bid on should be sent to them. Originally this started after I put up my Nokia N800 for sale. Since then I kept getting emails from all sorts of idiots regarding aspects mentioned above. Instead of going crazy with this I kept forwarding these emails back to spoof@ebay.com. Till now I think I have forwarded at least 10 or 12 such emails back to eBay. At least now it seems that they changed their policy of blatantly showing a User's email Id in any ' auction ' or ' buy it now ' page.

This saves us from spam to quite some extent.

EBay like I said above has grown so big that they are no longer a team that works coherently anymore. One department has no clue as to what the other department does or has done. So sometimes one gets email for one department of eBay about issues that one faces when one is already in contact with another department of eBay regarding the same issue. This is painful, but then if one has to deal with eBay then there are no better or much choices.

This really has nothing to do with spam.

The messages that one receives is purportedly from eBay. So if one is involved in bidding on an auction on eBay then one cannot block such emails. If one does block such emails using a heavy duty spam filter then later on, one will not get to know any information about ones bid or auction that is active on eBay at that point of time.

Name:  post_thanks.gif
Views: 455
Size:  359 Bytes

Last edited by Arjun; 2008-01-21 at 15:19.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You're right Arjun.

The environment is open for a new ebay... along the lines of the original...

Just think if someone managed to take the best of ebay, Craig's list, Amazon and (most importantly) myspace/facebook/etc to create the ultimate swapmeet site...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

This really has nothing to do with spam.

The messages that one receives is purportedly from eBay. So if one is involved in bidding on an auction on eBay then one cannot block such emails. If one does block such emails using a heavy duty spam filter then later on, one will not get to know any information about ones bid or auction that is active on eBay at that point of time.

Attachment 844
This stuff came to an email address I don't use with eBay. The fact that brashley46 is part of both addresses is just luck on the sheepdip's part.

I have forwarded all of them to spamca at ebay.com ... and I have now set my gmail account to bounce anything that even mentions ebay.