Active Topics

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
If Google ported it properly it would be. 'Better' is ambiguous but I think for all but the Linux hardcore, Android is a better user experience at the moment.
The point is that Google won't. Google makes the platform, it's the manufacturers that port the platform on their phones. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. Now that's what I was assuming with my reply. Google won't port anything, it's up to the community and I can't see the community achieving a port on N900 that would have as much features, applications, reliability and support as manufacturers offer with their Android phones.

SE are manging quite well (X10 anyone?). At the moment they're mainly WinMO based. The OS runs, it's just a matter of drivers and optimisation. These big companies have the capacity to do this with ease.
Considering that you can't actually buy it anywhere yet, and the last I heard(rumours, yes) was that it was delayed to March maybe it isn't as easy as you think?

Community hacks/ports of Andriod or Maemo 6 are not the answer.
Unfortunately I think they are the only answer _if_ Nokia won't release an official Maemo 6 update. And that we don't know yet.

Last edited by jsa; 2010-02-01 at 12:46.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
If you want shiny guis, apps and entertainment then there are numerous android phones and iPhones to choose from.
Most people do and this is where Nokia will undoubtedly head.

But to come onto a maemo-focused forum and say "..android should run on it instead of maemo because it is better.." is ******ed.
My initial argument was that Andriod would be a good next step for the N900 post Maemo 5.

Why are you here and why buy an n900(if you did)?
I did, and I like the N900 as hardware. I just see the shortcomings with Maemo as software.

If Nokia do decide to ignore the n900 then the community will still develop software for it. I can develop software for it - it's open source. This also means that maemo & Mer can continue to improve without Nokia's influence.
All true, but you've not attached any weight or size to these things. The current community and number/quality of applications is not comparable to the other major platforms. There's one proper game (Angry Birds) and a handful of actually useful apps. This will improve over time but no where near as quickly as other platforms.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Most people do and this is where Nokia will undoubtedly head.

My initial argument was that Andriod would be a good next step for the N900 post Maemo 5.

I did, and I like the N900 as hardware. I just see the shortcomings with Maemo as software.

All true, but you've not attached any weight or size to these things. The current community and number/quality of applications is not comparable to the other major platforms. There's one proper game (Angry Birds) and a handful of actually useful apps. This will improve over time but no where near as quickly as other platforms.
There are way more commercial apps currently availible for Maemo 5 than you think, they're just not availible for you yet. EA Mobile has already ported a bunch of games for the N900 (possibly due a request from Nokia), and this has been advertised in some magazines...

...but Ovi Store is still in Beta status, and doesn't support paid apps. Except to see FIFA10, Spore, Boom Blox and the like from EA when Ovi Store will support paid apps - whether it will be sooner rather than later I don't know, I just know something is coming, and that something isn't trash like the average Iphone app (since those games were ported on Nokia's request?).

I doubt ANY phone will be stable by porting another OS in it... U will most likely find some bug...even with all the perfect drivers etc, there will still be bugs somewhere somehow........and no android user will be able to help because its simply "not an android device".....

Nokia will still release software updates... I got an sms a few weeks ago that there is a software update for the N95.. :S ... BUT it wont be that often that they release the updates....

No, it won't. Android provides -nothing- that makes Maemo so powerful. Namely, it lacks not being bottled up in a JVM with an Android-only class library.

Rather than screwing around with Android I'd look to Mer for support. If you ask me, moving to Android would be crippling my device.

Then why didn't you buy an Android device to start?

The current community and number/quality of applications is not comparable to the other major platforms.
The limited and fractured communities of other platforms, who have zero say in the future of the OS on their device?

There's one proper game (Angry Birds) and a handful of actually useful apps. This will improve over time but no where near as quickly as other platforms.
I know, we just don't have that mass explosion of thousands of fart apps, or utilities that cost a buck or two that perform some trivial function.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Everybody needs to relax about the future of the N900. Why?

1. Maemo 5 won't stop working because Maemo 6 is out. It will be as terrific as ever.

2. The N900 might get upgraded to Maemo 6. Still yet to be determined.

3. Maemo 6 apps will be QT-based. But QT 4.6 is ported to Maemo 5, so most (if not all) Maemo 6 apps will run on Maemo 5. So Nokia's plan is...the N900/Maemo 5 will continue to be able to run new, cool stuff for a long time, even if it never gets the 5-to-6 upgrade.

4. Nokia (qgil, actually) has already publicly stated - here in this very forum - that right now, Nokia has more than just bugfixes already in the works for Maemo 5 and the N900. Speculate all you want as to what those improvements might be and when they will be implemented. But the point is that more is definitely on the way for the N900. It has not and will not be abandoned anytime soon by Nokia.

Now, given all that, where's the problem?

And why why why would anyone want to replace the most powerful, extensible mobile OS on the planet with friggin' Android? Jeez...90% of why I bought a N900 was to get Maemo and to get rid of Android.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I don't like the N900.. and I rather LOVE my Android.. and even *I* think that this thread is rubbish. :P

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
One of my biggest concerns with the N900 is that the OS (and community) will dry up as soon as the next device comes out sporting Maemo 6.
This community still supports all the way back to the 770.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
i would have bought Nexus if I wanted to be google's *****. i much rather be nokia's..

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
so.... isnt Android just a VM environment running on top of linux kernel? In theory wouldn't it be possible to boot Maemo, and then launch the Android engine on top of that if all were properly compiled/coded/configured? Interesting idea to have Android just be an "app" that can be launced on Maemo.