Active Topics

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Wrong. Competition leads to better results.
Nope. I was careful to avoid the term competition, as it implies a zero-sum game. That doesn't apply in a case such as this. Plurality can provide choice without being the result of competitive behaviour, and does not preclude co-operation between parties.

Also, capitalism should not be conflated with competition. Modern capitalism involves controlling markets and preventing competition.

My website

GitHub

greetings, I am lur, ruler of Omicron Persei 8!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Nope. I was careful to avoid the term competition, as it implies a zero-sum game. That doesn't apply in a case such as this. Plurality can provide choice without being the result of competitive behaviour, and does not preclude co-operation between parties.
Competition certainly does not imply a zero sum game. Look at iOS and Android - can you honestly say one is a winner and the other is a loser? Competition boosts the entire industry, it's a basic tenet of economics. Look what happened with Intel and Moore's law.

Also, capitalism should not be conflated with competition. Modern capitalism involves controlling markets and preventing competition.
Huh? If "modern" capitalism is so hell-bent on controlling markets and preventing competition, then why do we have such strict antitrust legislation?

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't want to hijack this thread any further

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
if this is some kind of a thesis thing you should make sure your teacher is aware of the existence of the Cordia project. I´m sure your teacher shows you the correct direction.