Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Yes, as long as the PAN is established they are on the same network, just like computers in the same LAN.

All you have to do is to point the default gateway of N900 to PC, while the PC routes to internet.
can you explain a bit more on how to use my pc internet?

I bought an A500 for an in-law of mine several weeks ago and can confirm that the tethering option doesn't show up using the stock rom. Unfortunately, my in-law doesn't live close by, so I haven't had a chance to play with the A500 much either to see if there's a work-around.

----

For reference (will move this to a wiki somewhere if it grows large and/or useful enough):

Tablets with working Bluetooth PAN tethering out-of-the-box:
- Motorola Xoom WiFi (running stock 3.1 & 3.2 but buggy in 3.2--requiring reboots between tethers)
- Asus Transformer (running stock 3.1)
- Galaxy Tab 10.1 (running stock 3.1 with and without TouchWiz update)

Tablets without working Bluetooth PAN tethering out-of-the-box:
- Galaxy Tab (running stock rom--2.3.3?)
- Acer Iconia Tab A500 (running stock 3.1 nor 3.2)

The Following User Says Thank You to jschan For This Useful Post:
@Trisha - I'm sure 9k will point you in the right direction. However, I'm a little curious as to why you'd want to do this unless you don't have a data plan, don't have a wifi connection at home, and want to install and/or update software on your n900.

If that's the case though, I'd recommend just biting the bullet and getting a wifi router. They are cheap and don't really fall out of date very quickly. It's a good investment that'll let you use your n900 around the house, keeping you untethered to your computer if you don't need the extra functionality it provides.

Jschan

Let me know if you find out how to get it to work.
it would be great to have this option.
Thanks

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
can you explain a bit more on how to use my pc internet?
I cannot give you further instruction on Windows side as I'm not that familiar with Windows networking, especially when it cannot be detailed as straight forward as in Linux.

However, I could give you some instructions when the peer side is also Linux, and tell you how to modify my script for the purpose.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
I tried to connect to my HP Touchpad but no joy, both devices paired ok after follwing the instructions on this thread and for HP TP side following the instructions below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGSVvDSFA8

HP TP suggested no Internet connection while trying to browse, any help greatly appreaciated.

Actually, I could place a phone call using instructions on the youtube video, not sure if I can do a web browsing, I will post question back to precentral

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
I tried to connect to my HP Touchpad but no joy, both devices paired ok after follwing the instructions on this thread and for HP TP side following the instructions below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGSVvDSFA8

HP TP suggested no Internet connection while trying to browse, any help greatly appreaciated.
Can you open a xterminal in your TP and show me the outputs of ifconfig and route?

Last edited by 9000; 2011-09-15 at 02:08.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Can you open a xterminal in your TP and show me the outputs of ifconfig and route?
I have attached images, sorry, couldnt find better ways of copying from novaterm.

This is normal output, i.e., not while trying to tether.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
I have attached images, sorry, couldnt find better ways of copying from novaterm.

This is normal output, i.e., not while trying to tether.
I have not looked at the video, but I found the following problems from the screenshot you have captured:

1) There isn't bnep* interface created, that means PAN is not established. Your TP must create the bnep* interface when PAN is established, otherwise there wouldn't have any connection between TP and N900. Please take a look into it, as you must make sure your TP has PAN.

2) It makes sense when the bnep* was not created, there wouldn't have any routing between them. However, I also found in the routing table that the default routing is pointing to eth0, what is it? (WiFi or your local area network?) Note that you can't have two default routing, if you choose to tether to N900.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-09-16 at 03:19.

Tags
bluetooth-pan, tethering