omg nobody

ok i found a solution.. i took some additional steps mostly from Jesper Cheetah (post #35) and will post it as soon as i can for the community..

I actually realized how to do this.. and here is the solution.. thanks for all the help people especially comment # 35 I think, i mostly refined what he did and it worked. this is how (i connected n810's gps via bluetooth to ipod touch to give it gps capabilities as it has 1000s of free and paid navigation gps apps but no gps lol). here goes-

Install bluez-utils-test package. If you cant find it in application manager, google it.

Download gpsd-clients.zip linked below. Put gpspipe in you NIT in /usr/bin/

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1211901035

As root, run chmod 777 /usr/bin/gpspipe in terminal or however.

Now.. every time you want to use N810 as bluetooth gps module, just run the following code in terminal AS ROOT-

/etc/init.d/obexsrv stop

sdptool add --channel=1 SP

rfcomm watch 0 1 sh -c "gpspipe -r > /dev/rfcomm0 -s /dev/rfcomm0"

YOU'RE DONE!
Now you should see something like "Waiting for connection on channel 1". YOU'RE SET!

If you get "Can't bind RFCOMM socket: Address already in use", that means something else is already listening on channel 1. Did you remember to shut down obexsrv?

You need to make sure the GPS keeps running. MaemoMapper, GPXView, Maps application or practically any other GPS program would work as well. Does anyone know a way to keep the GPS running without having a foreground application open?

BTW. if anyone is wondering i used Roqy Bt 4 Cydia app for iPod touch connection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohin_adalja For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rohin_adalja View Post
Download gpsd-clients.zip linked below
Anyone willing to package that for extras?

As root, run chmod 777 /usr/bin/gpspipe in terminal or however.
Make that 555, there's no reason to make it world-writeable.

Now.. every time you want to use N810 as bluetooth gps module, just run the following code in terminal AS ROOT-

/etc/init.d/obexsrv stop

sdptool add --channel=1 SP

rfcomm watch 0 1 sh -c "gpspipe -r > /dev/rfcomm0 -s /dev/rfcomm0"
Hm, does obex really have to be stopped? What happens if it's left alone and rfcomm set to watch a different channel?

Good question!..

im a beginner at linux syntax and i dont know anything about it.. i put together a way to solve the problem of gps as bluetooth module for the community and me.

If anyone wants to package this into a deb and create a application shortcut it will be cool. I dont really know how to do that..

what i did is that i open maps application (or maemo mapper), let it connect to gps, i made a .sh file with the code that needs to run and i call it in terminal with sudo gainroot first.. it runs, and thats it..

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Hm, does obex really have to be stopped? What happens if it's left alone and rfcomm set to watch a different channel?
Please see my initial comment on this:
Originally Posted by Jesper Cheetah View Post
I believe obexsrv is a program for sharing files over bluetooth, but I never do that anyway. The problem is that obexsrv insists on listening on channel 1, and my E51 insists on connecting to channel 1 to obtain GPS data. There seems to be no way to configure either of them to use a different channel.
So as long as your client device is ok with whatever other channel you choose, you shouldn't have any problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
I've released an improved version of my script to public. This script should enable Bluetooth if needed, add serial port profile, wait for clients and clean up after user aborts it. Currently only a command line version exists.

See http://wnd.katei.fi/maemo/bt-gps/ (or http://wnd.katei.fi/weblog/entry-79) for more.

Edit: Fixed a bad link to the script.

Last edited by wnd; 2011-01-11 at 14:49. Reason: Fixed a link on target page.

The Following User Says Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the previous research and work on this!

So I just bought an Archos Android Tablet (model 70S). A great little tablet but lacks a GPS radio. I still have my aging N810 so it obvious idea brought me to this thread.

I installed the bt-gps script and ran it.

When the Andoid tablet attempts to connect to it, I get this message repeated on the N810 terminal running bt-gps:

Waiting for connection on channel 1
Connection from BC:0D:A5:1B:38:66 to /dev/rfcomm2
Press CTRL-C for hangup
Disconnected
gpsbt context creation failed!
Waiting for connection on channel 1

It repeats over and over again. I expect I'm doing something wrong on the Android side as some of the utilities over there has options for the type of GPS (SIRF, MTK, NMEA, and "Other"), but I think I tried all combinations already. Note that on the N810 side I am using minigpsd, which might also be an issue I guess.

Any ideas about how to troubleshoot this further?

Never mind.

I did the "GPSPIPE" thing listed earlier and it worked fine with miniGPSD.
I'm still likely to buy a dedicated Bluetooth GPS receiver someday (because of battery life, and reception issues with the N810) but it is nice to know this works and I'll use it for now.

Thanks again.

Last edited by wartstew; 2011-05-15 at 06:40.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
I just ran across this thread. I'm a GPS user, DAGR, Garmin, Tom-Tom, Nokia and have been looking into bluetooth GPS data loggers. They have really come down since this thread started and one can get a pretty good unit for well under $100 which will run rings around the N810
PLEASE use the Wiki