I tried to partition and format and then clone to the SD card but I don't think it worked right. I don't think it actually boots from the SD card.

I'd like to try it again. I want to reflash the n810 (if I can get it to work - it doesn't seem to work on my windows 7 computer), partition and format the SD card with gparted from my laptop.

I see one partition is DOS and the other is ext2. Is the DOS partition where the OS and apps are stored and the ext2 for storing music and other data? I have a new large card and can make each partition pretty large.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ BeiJing
If you want to reflash your n810, you may visit this page.

If you want to know how to make n810 boot from sd card, you can check #308 and #309 of this thread.

The ext2 partition is used for storing OS, and the dos partition for storing music, document, etc.

I'm showing sdb1 fat16 with about 500 MB and sdb2 ext2 1.4 GB (which has sardine installed) and sdc1 fat32 ~1GB and sdc2 ext2 6.4 GB

I'm thinking sdb is actually the internal flash memory or something. It says I've used about 438 MB of 1.4 GB, but, to I had to remove some programs to make room for another so I'm thinking I was never booting from it anyway.

In any event I think I want to start over. It looks like I can use FAT32 and ext2

I run linux on my home computer. Is there really any reason I would need to have a FAT partition other than to use the 810 with another computer?

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by muttleytm View Post
Is there really any reason I would need to have a FAT partition other than to use the 810 with another computer?
The Backup application backs up your settings etc. into a file in the FAT partition. I don't know whether it can be configured to work with a partition formatted any other way.

In any case, the backups have to be somewhere other than the partition containing the OS. In the worst case when your OS gets buggy, you might have to reformat the OS partition, and that will delete any data kept there.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Hi, all.

I'm on latest maacruz's diablo-turbo system on both my N800 and N810.

I would like to clone operating system to internal memory card on both devices but I'm a little bit confused about.

I read on some instructions threads they are for a specific system version.

So, my question is: Can I do without fear (reflashing isn't a big deal) the cloning process?? If so: What are the better (read noobfriendly) guide to do??

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
*Subscribing*

I got a little carried away yesterday, and by the end of it, I was left with only 1k of internal memory.

I really need to stop putting this off because it's obvious I have to clone here sooner or later.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
Hi, all.

I'm on latest maacruz's diablo-turbo system on both my N800 and N810.

I would like to clone operating system to internal memory card on both devices but I'm a little bit confused about.

I read on some instructions threads they are for a specific system version.

So, my question is: Can I do without fear (reflashing isn't a big deal) the cloning process?? If so: What are the better (read noobfriendly) guide to do??

Thanks in advance.
You can follow the instructions for Diablo without any fear. The cloned system will be the same you are actually running, that is, Diablo updated to DT. Updates to the DT kernel in one system will work in both systems (although one of them will show an obsolete package if you check with dpkg).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post: