Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
What I still don't understand is the pages of posts comparing the new device to full up voice phones.
Because
1) the changes in the form factor is hard to see the rationale behind unless it is compared to full up voice phones, and
2) Nokia needs such a phone, the N97 is falling behind the Xperia, Touch Pro2, and other top model smartphones, and
3) I didn't know about any five step plan for Maemo.

Nokia needs to do something, but I fear they're gonna fall yet another year behind because the Maemo phone may not be ready yet. We've just been discussing the need for such a phone, and how that would fit with what we've seen. If the render and the photo we've seen in this thread are accurate, and this is going to be "just" the successor to the N810...

...then not only the shrunken screen but even more the three row keyboard is hard to explain.

If this is just a successor to the N810 with an added SIM card slot, then I think many N810 (and N800) owners will consider their current model better featured.

Last edited by volt; 2009-06-08 at 06:35.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
a) an N810 with a GSM radio and SIM card, with or without GSM voice, would have been great ... 12-18 months ago.
Today, it needs to be faster, have more RAM, have more built-in storage, and, for me, definitely needs to have GSM voice and SMS capability.

b) an HTC Touch Pro 2 with Maemo ... *drool*

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Because
1) the changes in the form factor is hard to see the rationale behind unless it is compared to full up voice phones, and
2) Nokia needs such a phone, the N97 is falling behind the Xperia, Touch Pro2, and other top model smartphones, and
3) I didn't know about any five step plan for Maemo.

Nokia needs to do something, but I fear they're gonna fall yet another year behind because the Maemo phone may not be ready yet. We've just been discussing the need for such a phone, and how that would fit with what we've seen. If the render and the photo we've seen in this thread are accurate, and this is going to be "just" the successor to the N810...

...then not only the shrunken screen but even more the three row keyboard is hard to explain.

If this is just a successor to the N810 with an added SIM card slot, then I think many N810 (and N800) owners will consider their current model better featured.
Me too the smaller screen of the N900 is a degradation.
Three row keyboard as well, but that has the N810 as well. That's why I created a four row (numbers on top row) keyboard with one keystroke of 'www.' and '.com') keyboard definition for the onscreen keyboard.
Anyway, more RAM and a faster processor (and more internal storage RAM (> 1G instead of 256 MB)) would be desirable, but yet the N810 has more memory than the N97 as the latter has no virtual memory.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Err... no You're far-sighted if you cannot focus on objects close to your eyes.
Actually, no. That's not a precise definition, and it only describes the kind of 'farsightedness' you experience when you get older (called presbyopia). You're farsighted (as in 'born far-sighted', called hyperopia) when your lens, in its flattest position, isn't focusing on the horizon (or the moon, which is the same as far as your eyes are concerned) but _beyond_ the horizon. In other words, to see the horizon sharp you would have to work your eye a bit instead of simply relaxing. It's usually caused by a shorter-than-normal eyeball, but sometimes other parts of the eye.

It's not a relation to an 'average' dioptry (unlike height, which defines tall and short as a relation to an average height).
Correct.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-06-08 at 13:07. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
Three row keyboard as well, but that has the N810 as well.
My N810 has most definitively four rows, and one of the missing buttons in the leaked "photo" is the Fn button.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Actually, no. That's not a precise definition, and it only describes the kind of 'farsightedness' you experience when you get older (called presbyopia). You're farsighted (as in 'born far-sighted', called hyperopia) when your lens, in its flattest position, isn't focusing on the horizon (or the moon, which is the same as far as your eyes are concerned) but _beyond_ the horizon. In other words, to see the horizon sharp you would have to work your eye a bit instead of simply relaxing. It's usually caused by a shorter-than-normal eyeball, but sometimes other parts of the eye.

Correct.
All this talk of Myopia and eye focussing issues makes me wonder are you guys Geeks or Vision(ary) Geeks with focus ?

Damn, thats a hell of a lot of eye related info and knowledge that I gained in this thread - in fact more than I know in absolute of the N900 itself.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I was talking in terms of desktop connectivity for the phone/tablet. I wouldn't want it on the phone.

As it stands, Nokia doesn't have desktop clients/applications to go along with this product. And they don't have compelling reasons for the average Joe Sixpack to use their upcoming phone.
About Amarok - it has infrastructure for this kind of things. One of web services (Magnatune?) even hired Amarok developer to work on it.

If Nokia really would like to do this it should be matter of few months of work to make from Amarok great interface to its shop.

But someone needs to act on it. And judging how they practically gave up on e-book market without even trying...

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Nokia has filed (link in finnish) for a new trademark "CSERIES". Could the "N900" be the first device in CSeries, maybe C900?

Maybe somebody could check if Nokia has filed CSERIES trademark in other countries too?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Could the "N900" be the first device in CSeries, maybe C900?
All I know is that Juha-Pekka Sipponen, Director of Product Management - Ultimate Nseries Devices, will be speaking at the Summit.

Cseries may be for the netbooks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
What could C stand for?

Communication? Connectivity?

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile