Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I have been thinkering for a while on how to terminate the browserd process. I have read that it would not be a good idea but without any good explanation. Some have suggested that it controls some parts of tracker but not the exact functions. Tracker does not provide much to me anyway...

As the Fennec 4.0 browser are getting closer to release. It has proven for me to be superior.

So how should i shut down the process permanently in a proper way? I am not referring to "kill all" or "pkill" but the actual conf-file. I have found "/etc/init.d/tablet-browser-deamon.init". Would it be bad to remove or comment out something in it? Or is this the wrong file? I have tried to find a proper way but couldn't.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Sorry I can't answer your question. I also only know that browserd supplies some system functionality, but not which.
I also prefer fennec over microB now, but I can't figure out how to make mailto links work. Also I have found no elegant way yet to copy links.
Do you have solved those issues? Or are they irrelevant to you?

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Some have suggested that it controls some parts of tracker but not the exact functions. Tracker does not provide much to me anyway...
There's no substance behind those claims. tablet-browser-daemon has been around since Diablo (you can see the slightly old source in the MicroB Garage project) which doesn't use Tracker. Tracker's developers - let's not forget that we're talking about a GNOME component for the computer - wouldn't add a dependency on an unrelated Nokia component you can't get the latest source for, and I'm pretty sure there's no browserd mention in Nokia's diff to Tracker.

(Sorry for the rant[?])

To try and answer your question: I removed tablet-browser-daemon from my rc2.d folder on my N800 and everything (with the exception of MicroB ) works fine. Since the N900 uses Upstart, maybe you could look in /etc/event.d

The Following User Says Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
I usually ctrl+click on link. It will open in a new tab. I rarely need to copy links. But this way you would be able to ctrl+c on the new tabs address field. Also.. if you press and hold on link you could send it to twitter, FB e.t.c.

The main problem for me is selecting text. It is not optimal to use shift+arrows or ctrl+a. But it is enough...

I just click the mailto link and it opens modest (the email client).

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Yeah the new tab way to copy links is what i use too. It's not really elegant.
Mailto links don't open modest here. if it does for you, something must be broken here. I wonder what....?

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
AFAIK some watchdog reboots the device immediately if you kill browserd, I guess It would do the same if browserd doesn't start up, so your device may end up in a reboot loop.

Also rtcom-messaging-ui (Conversations) uses a seperate browserd process all-time to display your conversations, if you kill that process, It won't display anything.
Maintaining: Audelicious | xmp

The Following User Says Thank You to Aranel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
The watchdog lets the browserd process to respawn. If you try to killall browserd in an xterm window, you'll see the browserd process being immediately restarted. And right, conversation looks like depending on it. I usually kill browserd myself from time to time to keep my uptimes high and when I do so, all the conversation windows goes black

Last edited by jurop88; 2011-03-05 at 22:48. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Hmm.. that was not so good. Conversations is needed. But /usr/bin/browser shouldn't be a problem, right? Or is that hindered by watchdog too?

@AlMehdi

Did a clean (inc Profile delete) reinstall of latest nightly build. Mailto works now. Some previous nightly build must have broken it.
Please keep reporting if you kill browserd for good. I'm interested too but I also think it will break other stuff..

Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
Yeah the new tab way to copy links is what i use too. It's not really elegant.
Mailto links don't open modest here. if it does for you, something must be broken here. I wonder what....?
What version of FF are you on? Do you use CSSU or have modified modest in some way like the baxyp fix?

Edit: aahh.. maybe it was a faulty FF build.